Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3
    Rep Points
    2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    Upgrades BMW 335i and 535i Turbochargers

    Check out this link seems to be a lot of interest in these Hybrid Turbochargers

    http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/index.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,833
    Rep Points
    31,570.9
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Thanks for joining and all but you spammed the forum and did not provide any info for us.

    How about cost for the US? Dyno graphs? Some effort considering you are being allowed to post without being a vendor?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,215
    Rep Points
    1,142.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Yes please, give us more details and we will be more than happy to integrate you into our site Click here to enlarge

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    44
    Rep Points
    30.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    YES MORE INFO PLEASE....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    12
    Rep Points
    4.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,833
    Rep Points
    31,570.9
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    They said Stage 2 is coming and I asked for them to post dyno numbers which they said they would.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3
    Rep Points
    2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    BIG UPDATE! Click here to enlarge


    As some of you will know, my car has now been running successfully with the Stage 2 turbo upgrade and has covered 2000 miles since installation Click here to enlarge

    I'll talk about the results first, as that's what everyone wants to read mainly! The installation procedure will follow in the next post...

    The car has been on a long run over to Germany, completed 300 hard and fast miles of the Nurburgring, sat at 160mph on the autobahn for dozens of miles, sat in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and I have to say so far it has been an utter dream. It is quick, seriously seriously quick. I chased a superbike on the autobahn (with RagingKileak watching on from inside the M3 behind me) and when the biker gunned it at 110mph, I changed down to 4th, pinned the throttle, and stayed the exact same distance away from him all the way to beyond 180mph. The car was still pulling hard but traffic stopped any further progress. Fuel consumption isn't so good at those speeds - I registered 8.6mpg (UK) at 180mph!! Click here to enlarge

    It is very docile when driving around town - part throttle response is excellent, with very little apparent lag. The response for the first 2000 revs is sharp yet normal and linear, although you get the sense of something muscular building from within the engine. Over 2000 revs, the mid-range is astonishingly strong and goes utterly mental at 4000 revs. Power runs all the way to redline, and the next gear change just places the revs right in the meatiest part of the torque band. I wheelspin in 4th gear easily and if you don't have a LSD installed, you have absolutely no chance of making decent progress. There is so much power that it would completely overwhelm the DSC system.

    The car on the Nurburgring was a revelation. The rate at which my car overtakes a race-prepped Porsche 997 GT3 RS going uphill after Breidscheid (second entrance on the 'Ring) is astonishing. This part of the circuit is notoriously power-sapping and demands as much torque as possible from an engine. The owner of a Porsche 996 GT2 who had a passenger lap with me said that my car doesn't feel as explosive as a GT2 in a straight line as it is actually more linear in its power delivery, but judging by the speedo my car was significantly faster than his GT2. The linear power delivery is very much a key to how well the car drives with the new turbos - it's supremely easy to judge where the power comes in and consequently apply the power to the tarmac without lurid tail slides.

    A few forum members have had the chance to experience the upgraded car over the Easter and I'm sure they'll be along to comment shortly.

    With the latest round of supporting mods, including a secondary oil cooler from AR Design and a high-spec Setrab core replacing the main oil cooler behind the bumper, the engine reached a maximum oil temperature of 125 degrees celsius after hot-lapping around the 'Ring. This was a spectacular result and in no small part down to the efficiency and placement of AR Design's oil cooler. There were ZERO limp modes, no strange fuel surges, no dodgy starts. 100% reliable. At a constant 160mph the oil temperature stayed at 120 degrees. At normal autobahn speeds (100mph) the oil temperature stays at 110 degrees Click here to enlarge

    I have decided to move away from a flash-based tune for the moment and asked Shiv @ Procede to send me his latest V4 device. Thanks to Shiv and his guys for managing to ship me a new unit from the States to the UK in two days flat Click here to enlarge The reason why I've gone to Procede is mainly due to the customer-base in the States - there are so many people interested in the turbos from over there, a lot of which are using Procede, that I wanted to see how the car would run in its new configuration with the external tuning box.

    Shiv created a basic map at 15psi for me to run with, and it is this map that I've done all the testing on. It's ONLY 15psi!! I had planned to run 17psi as my normal tune, but judging by how fast the car is at the moment, I can't begin to think how quick it will be at 17psi Click here to enlarge



    The bottom line is this -

    • The Stage 2 turbos are EPIC and a considerable improvement over the Stage 1 modifications
    • There is immensely strong power all throughout the rev range right up to the red line
    • Properly tuned, the car feels every bit as normal to drive as a regular car, just with a HUGE amount more power in reserve
    • It's been 100% reliable so far
    • They are expensive, but you get what you pay for
    • Do not underestimate the benefit of retaining all cooling lines - upgrading turbos without using the water lines is an utter disaster waiting to happen


    However, there are some things that anyone considering Stage 2 turbos need to be aware of, and you should read my next post on the installation aspects

    • You need new oil and water lines
    • Installation is a $#@!
    • You NEED NEED NEED supporting mods - oil cooler, intercooler
    • You must reduce the backpressure in the exhaust - downpipes, freeflow exhausts etc
    • You must use the highest quality oil possible that resists degradation at high temperatures - Silkolene ProS 5W-40 is the ideal oil
    • Most importantly, you need the most competent workshop team possible. You simply cannot install these using the local mechanic from down the road, because things will go wrong, I guarantee it!


    The cost of the Stage 1 and Stage 2 turbos has now been determined, for customer-supplied units

    • Stage 1 - 750 + VAT per turbo (if original turbos are in good condition)
    • Stage 2 - 1,695 + VAT per turbo, not including oil and water lines (if original turbos are in good condition)
    • Bespoke remanufacturing of the wastegate (in addition to the above) - 175 + VAT per turbo
    • Oil and water lines for Stage 2 - approximately 350 + VAT for a full set

    • * Oil and water lines are not necessary for the Stage 1

    The turbos and lines can be sourced from Birds Garages (www.birdsauto.com) or Turbo Dynamics (www.turbodynamics.co.uk). Birds will in due course have stock of Stage 2 turbos ready on an exchange basis - contact them for more information.

    Installation in the UK is available at Birds - they are currently the only people who know exactly how to modify certain parts to ensure seamless fitment of the new turbos!

    I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a garage/workshop that is competent. For those of you in Europe, it would be worth a trip to the UK to have the install done.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,215
    Rep Points
    1,142.0
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Reputation: Yes | No
    do you have any dynos to post? we need to see some numbers please Click here to enlarge

    Any slips?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3
    Rep Points
    2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Reputation: Yes | No
    I'll have the dyno stats in a couple of weeks I think. The car has to have some interior surgery first Click here to enlarge

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,833
    Rep Points
    31,570.9
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Why did you move away from a flash based tune and have Shiv do the tuning?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5
    Rep Points
    0.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    NOTE:


    I'm Tony, otherwise known as E92Fan on the E90post forum, and I am the original author of the post about the Stage 2 turbos on my car (post #7 on this thread).

    For some reason, and totally without my consent, someone has copied my entire post across to this forum under the registered name of Turbo Dynamics UK. Furthermore, they have also copied other responses I have made previously to use as a reply to your members' questions.

    If any Bimmerboost members would like to ask questions about why/how/what I've done with the turbos, and why I've migrated to Procede, please feel free to contribute to the thread running on E90post. I'm not here to spam your site, nor is it my intention to 'steal' forum activity away from here. Merely there is a lot of information already running on the existing thread and I am already inundated with questions over there.

    Please do not take any responses/replies from Turbo Dynamics UK as being accurate - many of the replies I post are in context and may be inaccurate as answers to your questions.

    I hope you all understand.
    Last edited by E92Fan; 04-14-2010 at 08:01 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,833
    Rep Points
    31,570.9
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E92Fan Click here to enlarge
    NOTE:


    I'm Tony, otherwise known as E92Fan on the E90post forum, and I am the original author of the post about the Stage 2 turbos on my car (post #7 on this thread).

    For some reason, and totally without my consent, someone has copied my entire post across to this forum under the registered name of Turbo Dynamics UK. Furthermore, they have also copied other responses I have made previously to use as a reply to your members' questions.

    If any Bimmerboost members would like to ask questions about why/how/what I've done with the turbos, and why I've migrated to Procede, please feel free to contribute to the thread running on E90post. I'm not here to spam your site, nor is it my intention to 'steal' forum activity away from here. Merely there is a lot of information already running on the existing thread and I am already inundated with questions over there.

    Please do not take any responses/replies from Turbo Dynamics UK as being accurate - many of the replies I post are in context and may be inaccurate as answers to your questions.

    I hope you all understand.
    Hi Tony, nice to see you here.

    It would seem Turbo Dynamics simply stole your post... which, well, without even saying they got it from you is poor etiquette. I assumed that was Turbo Dynamics posting their own info and not taking yours. I truly apologize for that but had no idea.

    I'm sure many of us would like to ask you questions on e90post but, to be honest, many of us are banned and others don't wish to support E90post. If you would not mind answering questions here, that would be great. If not, and since you are already concentrating there, no problem.

    I was hoping Turbo Dynamics UK would be posting their own info and supplementary info that was not found in your thread. Seems that did not happen.

    Oh... and it seems e90post is down anyway so you might as well enjoy yourself here Click here to enlarge

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5
    Rep Points
    0.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Hi

    Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for understanding. Yes, it is poor etiquette and very misleading to others. Quite seriously annoyed at this.

    I am fully aware of the political situation between the two forums, and whilst I am a moderator there I concentrate on the UK and European side of things so am not getting involved. Politics doesn't appeal to me in any case.

    I don't mind answering questions here, although I would ask that people take the time to read the E90post thread before asking questions here, as there is a LOT of information on there and most of your potential questions may already have been answered.

    I won't post the link directly, as I don't want to spam your site, but if you were to look in the regional UK section, under UK Technical, then you'll find the thread quite easily...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,833
    Rep Points
    31,570.9
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E92Fan Click here to enlarge
    Hi

    Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for understanding. Yes, it is poor etiquette and very misleading to others. Quite seriously annoyed at this.

    I am fully aware of the political situation between the two forums, and whilst I am a moderator there I concentrate on the UK and European side of things so am not getting involved. Politics doesn't appeal to me in any case.

    I don't mind answering questions here, although I would ask that people take the time to read the E90post thread before asking questions here, as there is a LOT of information on there and most of your potential questions may already have been answered.

    I won't post the link directly, as I don't want to spam your site, but if you were to look in the regional UK section, under UK Technical, then you'll find the thread quite easily...
    That's quite fair and even though you work for the Dark Side we are happy to have your input Click here to enlarge

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    70
    Rep Points
    9.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The information that was written in regards to "not running water lines is a disaster waiting to happen", is soley directed towards the ASR upgrades since we are the only ones currently offering an upgrade this way. Let's get something straight before this goes any further, this guy is not an engineer and knows nothing about the characteristics as to why water lines are used on certain applications and not used on others.

    Our CHRA's were designed from the best Turbo Engineers in todays performance turbo market GARRETT. Our CHRA was specifically designed to reduce bearing heat VIA bearing housing design that implaments heat disipation channels, rather than water. This is a newer design for GT CHRA's from Garrett utilizing the latest technology they have to offer. I love how these guys that know nothing about engineering, physics, or metallurgy make assumption from knowledge they aquire from internet boards and magazines.

    I'm not here to bash anyone's product, but I won't sit by and watch a competitor try to bash our product with uneducated and false information in an attempt to sell theirs.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    354
    Rep Points
    465.4
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Abid@ASR Click here to enlarge
    Our CHRA's were designed from the best Turbo Engineers in todays performance turbo market GARRETT. Our CHRA was specifically designed to reduce bearing heat VIA bearing housing design that implaments heat disipation channels, rather than water. This is a newer design for GT CHRA's from Garrett utilizing the latest technology they have to offer. I love how these guys that know nothing about engineering, physics, or metallurgy make assumption from knowledge they aquire from internet boards and magazines.

    I'm not here to bash anyone's product, but I won't sit by and watch a competitor try to bash our product with uneducated and false information in an attempt to sell theirs.
    If anyone has had false information around here, it's been you, Abid. First with the turbos that flow "twice as much as stock" and claims that the OEM turbos flowed 14lbs a minute. And now this.

    Pull up the Garrett website. Call any master distributor - a few of which are buddies of mine. The DBB turbos are available with exclusively oil cooled CHRAs. Garrett only offers one VERY old DBB CHRA from a Nissan turbo application that was offered without water cooling - which is what RD Sport is using in the turbos you are selling..... I spent some time digging for the part number, but for the life of me I can't find it. When one of my master distributor buddies gets back on AIM I will have him pull it up for me.

    Don't believe me? Try calling Garrett directly, or call any master distributor like CTS or ATP..... There is no new oil cooled only DBB CHRA technology - other than maybe in ASR fantasy land - along with those turbos that flow twice as much as stockers, in the same housings. All the new Garrett DBB CHRAs use steel bearings and REQUIRE water.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    70
    Rep Points
    9.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ar design Click here to enlarge
    If anyone has had false information around here, it's been you, Abid. First with the turbos that flow "twice as much as stock" and claims that the OEM turbos flowed 14lbs a minute. And now this.

    Pull up the Garrett website. Call any master distributor - a few of which are buddies of mine. The DBB turbos are available with exclusively oil cooled CHRAs. Garrett only offers one VERY old DBB CHRA from a Nissan turbo application that was offered without water cooling - which is what RD Sport is using in the turbos you are selling..... I spent some time digging for the part number, but for the life of me I can't find it. When one of my master distributor buddies gets back on AIM I will have him pull it up for me.

    Don't believe me? Try calling Garrett directly, or call any master distributor like CTS or ATP..... There is no new oil cooled only DBB CHRA technology - other than maybe in ASR fantasy land - along with those turbos that flow twice as much as stockers, in the same housings. All the new Garrett DBB CHRAs use steel bearings and REQUIRE water.

    So let me get this straight, you spent all this time digging up as much information as you possibly could to try to prove me wrong? Apparently you have a crap load of free time on your hands or have nothing better to do. In either case my hats off to you little man for a job well done!

    Just so everyone knows who this little guy really is, I'm going to tell a breif story about him. I received an email from a buddy of his on E90post threatening to blackmail me and start a thread with false information about our company and RD Sport because Andrew from ardesign got lyched by the E90post community for posting idotic statements in regards to our turbo upgrades. I then sent a copy of this email to E90post admins and RD sport, and at that point they then decided to ban him for life. You have to be the biggest moron to think you can write an email like that and not get caught. Now he goes again and rants about things he knows nothing about first hand. Keep digging for information that you'll never find Adrew because you're not bright enough to figure it out on your own. This is why you've been working on a turbo upgrade for the N54 for the past few years that is still not finished. Inexperienced and uneducated Kids like yourself are a dime a dozen in this industry. Stick to what you know best, selling downpipes and O2 bungs on the internet.

    I think everyone here knows when they're dealing with a punk kid hiding behind a computer screen! Your post reputation and behavior I just explained speaks for itself! Good Luck trolling this site with false information and conjecture, when you have nothing positive to offer.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    354
    Rep Points
    465.4
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Edited by admin- I will not warn you again. You will not be allowed to post under your vendor name and bash other vendors who support BB.

    If you want to become a supporting vendor, contact adminsitrator@bimmerboost.com . Until then, you will respect our vendors and keep your politics off the board especially when posting under your company name and having received plenty of leeway in doing so even without being a sponsor.
    Last edited by ar design; 04-16-2010 at 08:20 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    354
    Rep Points
    465.4
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sticky, I thought your forum was about open discussion on factual data? Something apparently neither you or Abid can handle..... Maybe we'll start calling you jason jr.....

    And Abid, I had nothing to do with this so called blackmail. You're chock full of it. If I have a problem with someone, I come out and say it. As you can see......
    Last edited by ar design; 04-16-2010 at 08:23 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Whales Vag
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Points
    1.0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Abid@ASR Click here to enlarge
    So let me get this straight, you spent all this time digging up as much information as you possibly could to try to prove me wrong? Apparently you have a crap load of free time on your hands or have nothing better to do. In either case my hats off to you little man for a job well done!

    Just so everyone knows who this little guy really is, I'm going to tell a breif story about him. I received an email from a buddy of his on E90post threatening to blackmail me and start a thread with false information about our company and RD Sport because Andrew from ardesign got lyched by the E90post community for posting idotic statements in regards to our turbo upgrades. I then sent a copy of this email to E90post admins and RD sport, and at that point they then decided to ban him for life. You have to be the biggest moron to think you can write an email like that and not get caught. Now he goes again and rants about things he knows nothing about first hand. Keep digging for information that you'll never find Adrew because you're not bright enough to figure it out on your own. This is why you've been working on a turbo upgrade for the N54 for the past few years that is still not finished. Inexperienced and uneducated Kids like yourself are a dime a dozen in this industry. Stick to what you know best, selling downpipes and O2 bungs on the internet.

    I think everyone here knows when they're dealing with a punk kid hiding behind a computer screen! Your post reputation and behavior I just explained speaks for itself! Good Luck trolling this site with false information and conjecture, when you have nothing positive to offer.
    no offense abid but your customer service rep isn't too good. Don't make this discussion personal because you don't have a perfect image ethier.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,833
    Rep Points
    31,570.9
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ar design Click here to enlarge
    Sticky, I thought your forum was about open discussion on factual data? Something apparently neither you or Abid can handle..... Maybe we'll start calling you jason jr.....
    When you post factual data it will be here. However, an open forum is not one where supporting vendors can be bashed by other vendors who are not supporting vendors.

    We give priority to our vendors and advocate respect for them as they help BB.

    You are posting under your company name and attacking another vendor. You have been given far more leeway than you ever would be on a forum run by Jason or anyone else for that matter.

    If you are interested in becoming a supporting vendor, contact administrator@bimmerboost.com . We do have rules and you will follow them, thanks.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Whales Vag
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Points
    1.0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    ^ will you be doing the same for shiv and vishnu?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,833
    Rep Points
    31,570.9
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shahsk Click here to enlarge
    ^ will you be doing the same for shiv and vishnu?
    Absolutely, and anyone else.

    Shiv and Vishnu have been allowed to post because the information has been valuable for the user. It was deemed more important to have the responses there from Vishnu than attempt to cash in. Vishnu also has not opposed the idea of becoming a vendor and as you can see is "seeing" how it goes.

    AR-Design is posting under the company name and blatantly attacking one of BB's supporters. Specific rules for vendor interaction will be posted today, thank you for your concern.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MIAMI
    Posts
    995
    Rep Points
    199.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shahsk Click here to enlarge
    ^ will you be doing the same for shiv and vishnu?
    Shiv has posted USEFUL and GOOD information. He has also answered questions about tuning the N54.

    As sticky stated above, good information is a priority over cashing in from vendors. Like we said from the beginning, this forum was built for the users and we intend to keep it that way. Out priority is the user's benefit by the means of information, the ability to speak your mind (respectfully), and by offering good products by our vendors.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Whales Vag
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Points
    1.0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    your avatar creeps me out. haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •