Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JB4?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Automatics have a 1-2 car advantage so find another auto jb4 to race. Or just swap tunes let em adapt and go at it!

You can custom tune a map 6 but map 2 will probably work great for you out of the box.
    Is there really that much of a gap between auto and manual ? Or are you talking between auto and 'average manual driver' ..?
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How is the auto adjust mode for our altitude vs map 2? If I set the peak at 16psi and run auto tune, will I adjust to those parameters?
    2007 E90 335i | Saphire Black Metallic | Luxury,Premium, Nav
    FBO + JB4Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    645 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    Is there really that much of a gap between auto and manual ? Or are you talking between auto and 'average manual driver' ..?
    There is. The manual is unfortunately considerably slower all else being equal. Partly due to the superior gearing of the steptronic. Manuals are still more fun though, even if they are a bit slower. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    645 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Vader Click here to enlarge
    I don't know if I can by * pre mixed * true meth with a 50/50 mixture here in town.. I'd have to mix it myself would I not?
    As far as the boost etc
    My concern is that if I can't increase boost much over a stock map, I won't see gains from the 3K I just spent on additional bolt ons..
    Does the JB4 map 2, hold higher boost consistantly then COBB? Maybe I should re-create a cobb map with the JB4 map 6 and see how that goes.
    If you want later tonight when you have time time Jerry feel free to send me a PM or email me
    georgepalmer@live.com

I'd like to understand more about this. I'm also good friends with Bigup, so we'll be doing the testing together!
    I have a mac... so I can only log when I'm with Bigup using his lap top.

Any dynos showing JB4 * full bolt ons * plus aftermarket or straight pipe exhaust without meth? I'd really hope to hit the 400whp mark.
    You order it from a place like Jegs or Summit racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SNO-40008/. Sometimes I even just use 70% rubbing alcohol from the drug store. Not ideal but much better than without. Also those who mix their own meth mixtures are not very precise about it nor do you need to be. It's OK to object to meth but you're making the wrong objections. The objections should be you don't want to hassle with the install/removal, are worried about reliability at the higher power outputs, etc.

We've had a few customers break 400whp on a dynojet at sea level on pump/no meth. But it takes around 16psi with full bolt ons. Definitely on the aggressive side of things. How you do on a dyno has a lot to do with how you do on the same dyno stock. If you are making 280whp on a dynojet for example you have a good chance at 400rw if you want it. But generally 380whp fully bolted is the normal at 15psi. The Cobb FBO dynos I've seen are in the 350whp range as it drops boost to 12-13psi.

To oversimplify things a bit Cobb uses sort of a flawed approach to boost targeting in which it raises boost when its hotter out to try to increase output and lowers boost when its colder out to try to limit output. The complete opposite of what you want to do with a tuned car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I'm not sure why Cobb needs to run all the way up to 16.5 PSI to achieve similar results to a 14.5 PSI JB4 tune.

When I ran against Vader, he pulled on me .. but that appeared to be mostly due to a major shift bog I was getting 3>4.
    No videos of this is a BMW forum crime.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Up here in Canada, we have a hard time buying liquid substances from the US -- due to shipping restrictions.

I'm planning on using 99.9% pure Methyl Hydrate, mixed 50/50 with water (to begin), since that is the easiest to get hold of around here. Any better suggestions?

Going back to manuals being slower .. how does Shiv get so high on dragtimes with a MT, and an inferior tune ... don't shoot me, I'm joking on the last part Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    No videos of this is a BMW forum crime.
    We'll see what we can do to rectify this Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    645 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It was mostly a sham. He ran at Sacramento raceway with the faulty timing equipment for this 125mph trap. Which is why you've never seen one of his customers come within 3mph of it. Hotrod ran 124.5mph the same day with his auto using JB3 and 1/2 the aftermarket parts.

If you have a manual though and do the 30# lighter flywheel/PP like Shiv did it will help even the odds a bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry, I think I figured out the easiest solution! I may need some thoughtClick here to enlarge
    I want to re-create JB4 map 2 exactly on the map 6 setting. I will then bump the boost at each interval by 1 PSI. Thus it peaks at 15.5psi and goes down to whatever. Or I'll do the same thing but bump boost by.5 psi.
    Seeing is how I don't track the car and don't drive it overly hard I'm sure this will be okay for my car, I'd do lots of logging though.

First step when I get JB4, logg map 2. Second step is re-create map 2 and then increase boost by 1 psi. Should hit 400whp.

Today was such a nice day to cruise!! Me and my buddy even had an Austin Martin Vanquish or DB9 or something like that race us lol.. we were at a stop light, he was next to us * hot blonde girl friend * driver and oakleys and looked kind of cocky... I pull away slowly not to show boat, he did the same.. Then all of a sudden I hear a woosh and I react without thinking and floor my car! He had the jump start but I started to pull before breaking hard and turning around a hair pin at 120k.. Was over before a blink of an eye and I bet that guy was just thinking W....T....F...... Got to love the black Sedan! I'm only pushing maybe 330whp since I just have COBB DCI and straight pipes. I can't wait to install everything else this month!

PS I have to say Terry you have ben awesome! I'm sure you get asked the same questions over and over again, yet you are actively on these forums and happy to answer everybody's questions with ease. Customer service plays a big part in any business, and you have given me THE BEST.

I tried emailing cobb 5 times with a question and I got zero response.

* Bigup * How much will your meth cost?? I'm just concerned I'll go through it qickly using my windshield wipers lol.. We could figure out how many gallons a stock WSH tank holds, then go to home depot and purchase the same gallon carton, thus we can use that to mix our meth then just poor it into the washer fluid resevoir.

** Terry ** When will JB4 have meth come on? Plan on setting it for say 8 - 10PSI to ensure it doesn't spray unless we truly floor it to preserve meth? I'm starting to warm up to the Idea and I may be interested if the units price is right, as well as ease of install.

What PSI numbers does map 7 hit? Could one up the boost from that map in the same fasion as I stated above if he were to run meth?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    645 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The new meth kit is run from the JB4. So you can enable/disable it by going to map 3 or back to map 2. Meth is off until you go over 70% throttle, 2000rpm, 9psi, and meet a few other conditions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does JB4 work with a Macintosh?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just curious what does a 335i auto with FBO+Jb4+meth with 18psi dyno?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does JB4 work with a Macintosh?
    Nope, but one can run a windows installation on the mac using virtualbox (or some other virtualization solution, vb is free though...)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonsC63AMG Click here to enlarge
    probably right around 410-420 on a realistic dyno

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    probably right around 410-420 on a realistic dyno
    Yeah dynos vary alot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    645 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonsC63AMG Click here to enlarge
    Anywhere from 400 to 440rw depending on the dyno and conditions. In cool weather you can make a lot more power at 18psi than you can in hot weather, for example.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry I have sent you a PM. I'm now just waiting for COBB to sell so I can order my JB4. Had to wait on my order since I'll need the money for instillation on the rest of my bolt ons. Should have everything within the next 2 weeks or so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Downpipes gong on Tomorrow!
    Front mount intercooler going on Saturday!
    Charge pipe BOV and JB4 going on Monday!!!
    What a fantastically exciting week to come!!!

PS I want to comment on AA Catless DP's. They are gorgeous.. I honestly did not expect to see such high quality from the welding. You would expect these things to cost even more then they already do to be quite honest. Just outstanding..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah those AA downpipes are quiet awesome. I have them Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Vader, roughly, how many times have you changed your mind on the tune in the last few weeks Click here to enlarge ha ha.

I hope you like the JB4; it's going to be wild with your new mods. I think you'll love the extra flexibility over the Cobb.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Downpipes gong on Tomorrow!
    Front mount intercooler going on Saturday!
    Charge pipe BOV and JB4 going on Monday!!!
    What a fantastically exciting week to come!!!

PS I want to comment on AA Catless DP's. They are gorgeous.. I honestly did not expect to see such high quality from the welding. You would expect these things to cost even more then they already do to be quite honest. Just outstanding..
    Pics..?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These are the only ones I took

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ Looking good!

Let us know how you like that intercooler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I want that intercooler too! I should probably wait until after my trip to Florida .. wife will kill me if I drop more money .. LOL
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That IC looks kind of like the ETS one. Definitely wont dissapoint, anything's better than the stock IC.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ugh.. The turbo back straight pipes are over the top ridiculous..
    Drone is zero
    I can hardly hear my exhaust under 2K rpm
    Awesome really since it seems quieter then before with stock DP's when I'm driving easy around the city and keep it under 2K
    But.... 2500 RPM + its an animal, I thought it sounded cool before hand, now its like WHY would anything need to be that loud on the streets. It is probably 3 times as loud and at cold idle if you stand behind the car you can't hear your buddy talk to you!
    If you rev it the person behind the car has to plug there ears.. Reminds me of the good ol days when I use to go to monster truck rally's!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast