Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Went to the Track last night

Well first off, the JB4 is awesome! I don't know what people are talking about when they say the JB4 doesn't have smooth power delivery. It feels exactly like stock only faster, just like it should be. So good job Terry, you make a great product. :clap:

First off, my car is a 6MT and equipped with a Jb4 and Homemade DCI. I ended having some issues last night and even still I was impressed with the results. The Temperature was in the 80's, humidity was in the 70-80% range, and a slight head wind. Given the weather my expectations were already low. On top of bad weather, I had HPFP codes, and after uploading the latest firmware to my JB4 I got the bogs from hell. Stupidly I didn't bring my laptop so I couldn't make any adjustments.

Given my Bog issues my traps speed were severely hurt. I basically rode the rev limiter across the 1/4mile almost every time. If I would shift to 4th I would about 3-4mph.

Results:

Run #1 Map 0
    60' 2.212
    ET: 13.9@100.41

Run #2 Map 1 (holding 3rd gear)
    60' 2.221
    ET: 13.358@107.11

Run #3 Map 1 (shifting to 4th)
    60' 2.070
    ET 13.318@103.95

There was one other 335i out there as well. It was an E92 6AT with Dinan Stg2, Dinan CAI, and Dinan Exhaust. His best run was 13.1@107 60' 2.0. Given his results I was very pleased. Now that I've made the necessary adjustments I can't wait to hit the track again.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for providing the results despite issues at the track.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No reason not to. I hate when people hide things. Plus, I was still very pleased with the outcome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    No reason not to. I hate when people hide things.
    Unfortunately, way too many people in the BMW community hide "real world" results.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    True. I should have some pictures and videos as soon as my buddy sends them to me. Nothing to exciting though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here's the only decent video my buddy got. This was one of the runs were I tried to shift into 4th. you can see how much speed I lose.

And a Picture of the beast

Attachment 7844

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ Picture not working.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The first time I went to the track with my 6MT 335i with JB4, I trapped 105-108 mph. With my Helix intercooler installed, I was able to trap 111-112 mph. This was an E90 with a FULL interior and nasty runflats. My 60 foots averaged in the 2.1-2.3 range both times, but it appears that the intercooler helps alot, as long as I can get traction at the slow end of the track. As of now, my best time has been a 12.97@111. I also have a BMS DCI, but I think I might try running again with a stock intake and a drop in filter to see if there is any difference. I appreciate the post, not many 6mt times.
    Last edited by Ryan Mills; 06-05-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    The first time I went to the track with my 6MT 335i with JB4, I trapped 105-108 mph. With my Helix intercooler installed, I was able to trap 111-112 mph. This was an E90 with a FULL interior and nasty runflats. My 60 foots averaged in the 2.1-2.3 range both times, but it appears that the intercooler helps alot, as long as I can get traction at the slow end of the track. As of now, my best time has been a 12.97@111. I also have a BMS DCI, but I think I might try running again with a stock intake and a drop in filter to see if there is any difference. I appreciate the post, not many 6mt times.
    Pretty radical and positive difference for just an IC.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    ^ Picture not working.
    Weird it works when I click it? I tried to embed but it wouldn't work.

That is a pretty big difference with the IC. I may have to look into getting one after I buy Terry's underhood meth kit, whenever that comes out. *Cough *Cough Hurry up Terry! lol You know, I have a theory that properly driven a 6mt is just as fast if not faster than a 6at. The 6at are just a lot more consistent. It's just finding somebody with the ability.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I honestly didn't expect that big of a difference, but I was also able to run map2 instead of 1 with the intercooler. That might be part of the equation right there. I also have AR downpipes, but I had those when I went to the track the first time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Weird it works when I click it? I tried to embed but it wouldn't work.
    You need to link to the attachment page using [ img ] tags not [ attach ] tags.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I honestly didn't expect that big of a difference, but I was also able to run map2 instead of 1 with the intercooler. That might be part of the equation right there. I also have AR downpipes, but I had those when I went to the track the first time.
    Map 2 probably accounts for the difference. How much of a difference did dp's make? I literally just sent out a payment for a set.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You need to link to the attachment page using [ img ] tags not [ attach ] tags.
    It won't let me edit the post so I'll put it here. Nothing really special to see anyway lol

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It won't let me edit the post so I'll put it here. Nothing really special to see anyway lol

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...eL/335i/-1.jpg
    It's ok, just like to make sure everything is displayed properly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The downpipes you could feel, so I'm sure it helped quite a bit, but I never did race my car before the downpipes. I intended to, but I couldn't stand having downpipes sitting there, not on the car. It's tough to tell which gave me more power with the downpipes or the intercooler, but the intercooler really helps the top end and the downpipes seemed to help mid range grunt. The also seem to compliment each other in the upper RPM's. I really think a shorter rear end ratio would help at the track since I'm just into 4th when going through the lights. I would like to be deep into fourth, and plus I can do 155 mph in 5th, which seems like a waste when there's another gear left. I'll pursue this in another thread. Just make sure you give us updates as you mod!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The downpipes you could feel, so I'm sure it helped quite a bit, but I never did race my car before the downpipes. I intended to, but I couldn't stand having downpipes sitting there, not on the car. It's tough to tell which gave me more power with the downpipes or the intercooler, but the intercooler really helps the top end and the downpipes seemed to help mid range grunt. The also seem to compliment each other in the upper RPM's. I really think a shorter rear end ratio would help at the track since I'm just into 4th when going through the lights. I would like to be deep into fourth, and plus I can do 155 mph in 5th, which seems like a waste when there's another gear left. I'll pursue this in another thread. Just make sure you give us updates as you mod!
    I feel the same way when I buy mods. My JB4 was installed within an hour of arrival, then removed 2 days later because my car is going in for service. I think if you plan on staying stock turbo upgrading to 3.46 gears would be highly beneficial. Once higher power levels become more of a norm the benefits of the 3.08 will be more prevalent. We could definitely make a good discussion of this. I'll be sure to post another thread when I hit the track again. It might be a few weeks though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for sharing. Nice to get an idea of how quick and competitive Dinan is. Not many of them drag race.

Are you suggesting not to upgrade to the latest JB4-firmware?

Well first off, the JB4 is awesome! I don't know what people are talking about when they say the JB4 doesn't have smooth power delivery. It feels exactly like stock only faster, just like it should be. So good job Terry, you make a great product. :clap:

First off, my car is a 6MT and equipped with a Jb4 and Homemade DCI. I ended having some issues last night and even still I was impressed with the results. The Temperature was in the 80's, humidity was in the 70-80% range, and a slight head wind. Given the weather my expectations were already low. On top of bad weather, I had HPFP codes, and after uploading the latest firmware to my JB4 I got the bogs from hell. Stupidly I didn't bring my laptop so I couldn't make any adjustments.

Given my Bog issues my traps speed were severely hurt. I basically rode the rev limiter across the 1/4mile almost every time. If I would shift to 4th I would about 3-4mph.

Results:

Run #1 Map 0
    60' 2.212
    ET: 13.9@100.41

Run #2 Map 1 (holding 3rd gear)
    60' 2.221
    ET: 13.358@107.11

Run #3 Map 1 (shifting to 4th)
    60' 2.070
    ET 13.318@103.95

There was one other 335i out there as well. It was an E92 6AT with Dinan Stg2, Dinan CAI, and Dinan Exhaust. His best run was 13.1@107 60' 2.0. Given his results I was very pleased. Now that I've made the necessary adjustments I can't wait to hit the track again.

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo.../Map1006-1.jpg

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo.../Map1005-1.jpg

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for sharing. Nice to get an idea of how quick and competitive Dinan is. Not many of them drag race.

Are you suggesting not to upgrade to the latest JB4-firmware?
    Not at all. I believe the only differences in the latest firmware were some CAN functions. What happened to me was I clicked reset to default settings, after updating the firmware. When I did so, It turned the bogfix off, and autoshift damper to 5. In turn, I ended up getting a double dose of bog lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    your hpfp codes also hurt your performance as well

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, I know. I just got the car back today, new hpfp and injectors. Had a pretty funny conversion with my SA too.

SA: "I've you know you for about 7 years now. I'm warning you, and know what you do with cars. Don't get one of those piggy backs tunes!"

Me: "Of course not, I'm done playing car"

Needless to say, JB4, DCI, and DP's going in sometime this week haha