Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 45 of 45
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    977
    Rep Points
    779.1
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    i don't care if a track has 80 channels going or 12; the cut that conveys what i heard in my head more succinctly wins and that goes for analog vs digital as well.
    fyi, some electronic artists perform in realtime ( i.e. booka shade ) and some of their live cuts are better than some of their studio edits ( booka shade - analog feel). also, no one (or hardly anyone) recording live instruments is putting forth a product without mastering/editing it through some kinda of DAW. the argument that someone utilizing classic live instruments in realtime is extrapolating something 'more pure' in the experience than some who just made a song with their keyboard and mouse is a puritan and therefor trying to convince them otherwise is futile. in my opinion, i don't care if you can reproduce the sound on the fly (its more entertaining if you can for live play) but not necessary to produce a better track. that being said, and as a producer who heavily relies on sampling i disagree that you can reproduce certain organic sounds digitally to the point where the two are identical. which is why i shy away from producing my own basslines, drum kits, etc as much as possible because i've always found sampling original recordings gives me the texture and feel that synths couldn't even come close to. its all about getting that track to sound as close as possible to the sound you heard in your head. or maybe it starts off that way and it evolves into something better, who knows. all i know is as soon as you assume your method is superior and you stick to that formula you've limited yourself.
    i'm currently getting $#@! from other djs because i don't use a DVS (i.e. serato etc) exclusively and have combined it with running a DAW (ableton) simultaneously in order for me to recreate live what i do in the studio. these 'live sets' have prerecorded crap in certain channels, open midi channels for drum/basslines OTF and then the usual 2/4 channel DVS for juggling turntables and maybe even a MPC on occasion...gotta stay flexible guys


    ps - this was a cool vid, i guess i'm the only one bummed out that this debate spawned and detracted from it.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UC - San Diego
    Posts
    128
    Rep Points
    108.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    i don't care if a track has 80 channels going or 12; the cut that conveys what i heard in my head more succinctly wins and that goes for analog vs digital as well.
    fyi, some electronic artists perform in realtime ( i.e. booka shade ) and some of their live cuts are better than some of their studio edits ( booka shade - analog feel). also, no one (or hardly anyone) recording live instruments is putting forth a product without mastering/editing it through some kinda of DAW. the argument that someone utilizing classic live instruments in realtime is extrapolating something 'more pure' in the experience than some who just made a song with their keyboard and mouse is a puritan and therefor trying to convince them otherwise is futile. in my opinion, i don't care if you can reproduce the sound on the fly (its more entertaining if you can for live play) but not necessary to produce a better track. that being said, and as a producer who heavily relies on sampling i disagree that you can reproduce certain organic sounds digitally to the point where the two are identical. which is why i shy away from producing my own basslines, drum kits, etc as much as possible because i've always found sampling original recordings gives me the texture and feel that synths couldn't even come close to. its all about getting that track to sound as close as possible to the sound you heard in your head. or maybe it starts off that way and it evolves into something better, who knows. all i know is as soon as you assume your method is superior and you stick to that formula you've limited yourself.
    i'm currently getting $#@! from other djs because i don't use a DVS (i.e. serato etc) exclusively and have combined it with running a DAW (ableton) simultaneously in order for me to recreate live what i do in the studio. these 'live sets' have prerecorded crap in certain channels, open midi channels for drum/basslines OTF and then the usual 2/4 channel DVS for juggling turntables and maybe even a MPC on occasion...gotta stay flexible guys


    ps - this was a cool vid, i guess i'm the only one bummed out that this debate spawned and detracted from it.
    I don't think the debate detracted from it, I enjoy having discussions about music with people who have differing opinions than mine, hopefully DBFIU enjoyed it as much as I did. While I don't really think I'm a "purist" in any real sense of music (protip: I'm 19 years old), you can't really argue against the innate difference between what I an DBFIU do, that's all I was looking to point out, aside from the over-repetition that plagues this song and most of the electronic music on the market today. Obviously I see more value in what I do and he in what he does, and that's that. Just because 99% of BMW "enthusiasts" (I use that word losely) get asspained about people not having their exact same views on a subject doesn't mean normal people who have nothing to compensate for have that level of maturity as well Click here to enlarge

    It's funny because I usually can't stand dubstep but I actually enjoyed the two minutes of this track the first 2 times I listened to it.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    that being said, and as a producer who heavily relies on sampling i disagree that you can reproduce certain organic sounds digitally to the point where the two are identical. which is why i shy away from producing my own basslines, drum kits, etc as much as possible because i've always found sampling original recordings gives me the texture and feel that synths couldn't even come close to. its all about getting that track to sound as close as possible to the sound you heard in your head. or maybe it starts off that way and it evolves into something better, who knows. all i know is as soon as you assume your method is superior and you stick to that formula you've limited yourself.
    There is an algorithm that was developed very recently that mimics the piano so well that people cannot tell the difference. Signal processing has become so advanced that computers are able to reproduce sounds 99.9% identical to what you would hear from an acoustic sample. Than being said, you should reconsider having to use 'live samples only'. Although that's what I do, I am also genuinely curious on how the algorithm functions and fascinated by the fact that man can recreate natural sounds using computers.

    I'll post up the link to that, gotta find the company that does this.


    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    ps - this was a cool vid, i guess i'm the only one bummed out that this debate spawned and detracted from it.
    i dont think the debate detracted from it, I enjoyed the conversation.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Found it,

    http://www.pianoteq.com/

    Listen to a couple tracks of this piano, tell that doesnt sound real!

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UC - San Diego
    Posts
    128
    Rep Points
    108.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Found it,

    http://www.pianoteq.com/

    Listen to a couple tracks of this piano, tell that doesnt sound real!
    Let me ask you this - if humans came out with a female robot, that had an absolutely identical feeling vagina, identically acting in bed, same sounds, same feel, everything - would you $#@! it? Click here to enlarge While music and sex are certainly apples and oranges, that is probably the best way I can describe my feelings about that.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,223
    Rep Points
    31,320.2
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    ps - this was a cool vid, i guess i'm the only one bummed out that this debate spawned and detracted from it.
    Why consider it a detraction? There is only so much to the vid, this discussion is far more complex.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,223
    Rep Points
    31,320.2
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nickr519 Click here to enlarge
    Let me ask you this - if humans came out with a female robot, that had an absolutely identical feeling vagina, identically acting in bed, same sounds, same feel, everything - would you $#@! it?
    Could you turn it on and off and does it also cook and clean? If so, I wouldn't just $#@! it I would marry it.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Could you turn it on and off and does it also cook and clean? If so, I wouldn't just $#@! it I would marry it.

    THIS!

    Click here to enlarge
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UC - San Diego
    Posts
    128
    Rep Points
    108.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Could you turn it on and off and does it also cook and clean? If so, I wouldn't just $#@! it I would marry it.
    well I suppose this is when I would depart from both of your views in a "purist" fashion Click here to enlarge

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nickr519 Click here to enlarge
    well I suppose this is when I would depart from both of your views in a "purist" fashion Click here to enlarge
    hahahaha hey man if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, maybe it wants to $#@!.. i dunno, cyber robot women are sexy especially if they're from Saturn nahmean?
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,223
    Rep Points
    31,320.2
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nickr519 Click here to enlarge
    well I suppose this is when I would depart from both of your views in a "purist" fashion Click here to enlarge
    I'd call that evolution...

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UC - San Diego
    Posts
    128
    Rep Points
    108.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'd call that evolution...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UC - San Diego
    Posts
    128
    Rep Points
    108.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    hahahaha hey man if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, maybe it wants to $#@!.. i dunno, cyber robot women are sexy especially if they're from Saturn nahmean?
    Unfortunately I don't, I quit doing psychedelics in high school Click here to enlarge

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,223
    Rep Points
    31,320.2
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nickr519 Click here to enlarge
    No part on hot robot women, add it.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,223
    Rep Points
    31,320.2
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Looks like this weeks Southpark may be perfect for this thread:


  16. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    ^^ hahahaha love that clip...
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    647
    Rep Points
    1,555.9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Downloaded this song after hearing it, a long with 180 other dubstep songs. Still got like another 150 to go haha.
    Click here to enlarge

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami Beach
    Posts
    1,092
    Rep Points
    513.1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    lol sick video and very nice find but i have to say back when i had my system in my car my roof flexed more then that

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    977
    Rep Points
    779.1
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Found it,

    http://www.pianoteq.com/

    Listen to a couple tracks of this piano, tell that doesnt sound real!
    piano synths have been around for a while.and they've gotten a $#@! ton better over the years. im refering to synths that for whatever reason just can't ever get close like acoustic guitar nuances (fingers sliding from chord to chord), saxaphone nuances. the thump and slide of upright bass. don't get me wrong, synths add the dynamic feel on both ends, but real instruments and samples of which add that abstract texture of reality. even dubstep relies heavily on uber square saw samples, right? thats that ol school analog grime baby!

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,223
    Rep Points
    31,320.2
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    piano synths have been around for a while.and they've gotten a $#@! ton better over the years. im refering to synths that for whatever reason just can't ever get close like acoustic guitar nuances (fingers sliding from chord to chord), saxaphone nuances. the thump and slide of upright bass. don't get me wrong, synths add the dynamic feel on both ends, but real instruments and samples of which add that abstract texture of reality. even dubstep relies heavily on uber square saw samples, right? thats that ol school analog grime baby!
    Saxophone this $#@!:

    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •