Close

Thread: My Old 540i/6

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

My Old 540i/6

Just posting up a couple pics of my e39 540i. Currently it's in pretty much stock form. These pics were taken last fall, and since then it's had new rubber and a bit of paintwork (the whole front end).

I've gone through the top of the motor in a (successful) effort to keep the oil and coolant INSIDE the motor. An M5 diff is on it's way to me right now, since I can barely stand to drive the car aggressively with the open diff, it's just painful... Next is to figure out what to do for some reasonable power. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

First things first though, I've got to figure out what I'm going to do with the exhaust, since I also can barely stand looking at those exhaust tips. The PO had a true dual exhaust setup put on at a regular old muffler shop, crush bent tubes, no X-pipe, H-pipe, or anything. It actually sounds really great, but I know it is far from optimal. Currently I'm thinking of putting an X-pipe or wave termination box somewhere in the area where the factory Y-resonator was and then do some sort of unobtrusive tailpipe section. I dunno.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks very nice, keep it clean. This is one of my favorite BMWs of all time, you should definately go turbo and keep it sleeper with a non-restrictive yet quiet exhaust.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tjabo Click here to enlarge
    First things first though, I've got to figure out what I'm going to do with the exhaust, since I also can barely stand looking at those exhaust tips. The PO had a true dual exhaust setup put on at a regular old muffler shop, crush bent tubes, no X-pipe, H-pipe, or anything. It actually sounds really great, but I know it is far from optimal. Currently I'm thinking of putting an X-pipe or wave termination box somewhere in the area where the factory Y-resonator was and then do some sort of unobtrusive tailpipe section. I du
    I was going to ask about the exhaust, that explains it.

Other than that, car looks to be pretty clean!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Looks very nice, keep it clean. This is one of my favorite BMWs of all time, you should definately go turbo and keep it sleeper with a non-restrictive yet quiet exhaust.
    Turbo is going to be a huge pain. I say go twin screw..