Close

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
    Some tuners get around that by not reflashing the VIN, which makes it so the flash counter doesn't go up.
    But the heat is still a problem, right? So all this does is sort of trick the failsafes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    But the heat is still a problem, right? So all this does is sort of trick the failsafes?
    if youve seen any of his posts on other sites, i wouldnt put alot of stock in what he says, im sure he's just here to peddle his goods and tell anyone who will listen he hates HPF. BUT he can drive thru a puddle like nobody's business! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TwinturboM3
    I bang the chickens on my farm 60-130 times a day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Obioban Click here to enlarge
    The stock ECU can take 50 flashes. After that it goes into limp mode, and the only solution is a new ECU.

Some tuners get around that by not reflashing the VIN, which makes it so the flash counter doesn't go up.
    you know this how?
    Modded TT 300zx now for sale, PM me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

7 out of 7 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here's the deal.....will ALL BMW ECUs, the OEM reflashing procedure involves rewriting the VIN info every time the ECU is flashed. There are only 13 locations for the VIN info. Hence, when the OEM procedure is followed, the ECU can only be flashed a total of 13 times and then no more.

But, if the VIN data is not rewritten each time, then the reflashing limit is eliminated, and you're only limited by the lifespan of the FLASH chip that is used on the board (typically thousands of flashes allowed).

The MSS52/54 ECU is different though. Beyond the normal BMW VIN limit (which can be bypassed by not rewriting the VIN), there's another hook that BMW placed that prevents reflashing the DME more than 60 times or so (the exact number escapes me now). Once this limit is reached, the ECU can no longer be reflashed.

Obviously, I encountered this limit during this kit's tuning process. But I figured out a workaround that allows me to reset the limit without removing the FLASH memories or getting another ECU Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i've been reading on GG's thread about standalones/piggys on bfc. (good read btw GG thanks for starting it) unless there are some serious gains in driveability/better control of VANOS, etc i am not seeing any benefits of using the DME over a modern aftermarket EMS. now granted teh AEM is getting up there in age and several flaws have been pointed out but i don't need to shorten the life of my ECU just to switch from high to low boost nor do i need drive it/mail it somewhere to get the map changed..i just flip a switch.
    once some of these guys rack some mileage i'll probably grab a pro-efi 128, not cause i intend to run ethanol but for added features and less chance of those features failing. if an aftermarket can integrate with a vehicle at the same level as the stock DME can, has the option to meter air using MAF (IF that's a big deal to you...i don't like how MAPs fall out of spec so easily), and has an ass load more safety features...whats so great about an old Siemens/Motronic again?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NickG Click here to enlarge
    Here's the deal.....will ALL BMW ECUs, the OEM reflashing procedure involves rewriting the VIN info every time the ECU is flashed. There are only 13 locations for the VIN info. Hence, when the OEM procedure is followed, the ECU can only be flashed a total of 13 times and then no more.

But, if the VIN data is not rewritten each time, then the reflashing limit is eliminated, and you're only limited by the lifespan of the FLASH chip that is used on the board (typically thousands of flashes allowed).

The MSS52/54 ECU is different though. Beyond the normal BMW VIN limit (which can be bypassed by not rewriting the VIN), there's another hook that BMW placed that prevents reflashing the DME more than 60 times or so (the exact number escapes me now). Once this limit is reached, the ECU can no longer be reflashed.

Obviously, I encountered this limit during this kit's tuning process. But I figured out a workaround that allows me to reset the limit without removing the FLASH memories or getting another ECU Click here to enlarge
    Now this is quality, thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pro efi system seems like dead news. Hpf shop car switched back to AEM. I hope good stuff is in future for proefi but seems the HYPED died. OT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BattaM3 Click here to enlarge
    Pro efi system seems like dead news. Hpf shop car switched back to AEM. I hope good stuff is in future for proefi but seems the HYPED died. OT
    well since we're OT...you still got marcus, cykes and jim with the proefi. i think what we're seeing is that jason has to be up there to help out with this EMS. going back to AEM puts them back in their comfort zone.

back on topic... any updates on the max psi kit? still waiting on turbo?
    you've built up my anticipation on the torque #s!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting, when did you hear this? Wonder why they switched back.

I have heard the Pro-EFI is not all it is cracked up to be. Actually, that it is old technology.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think in there stage 5 thread. Hpfchris talk about. Couldn't acess something to fix a bug in system or some $#@!. I haven't been around much but have any of those guys that switched posted?

People were hyping that up like there was going to be new TC kits left and right. I would like a new ecu in future but I'm in no hurry. I just got my car back and is running back.

Sorry I'm king of derailing threads.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think in there stage 5 thread. Hpfchris talk about. Couldn't acess something to fix a bug in system or some $#@!. I haven't been around much but have any of those guys that switched posted?

People were hyping that up like there was going to be new TC kits left and right. I would like a new ecu in future but I'm in no hurry. I just got my car back and is running back.

Sorry I'm king of derailing threads.

IIRC the 2 front O2's needed to be in the exhaust stream. The HPF kit with the AEM, just required them to give ANY reading at all so we mounted them in a dead space box that attached to the DP. The HPF car is back up and running with the ProEFI and it runs great!
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts
    Product questions or to purchase - branden@horsepowerfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HPFBranden Click here to enlarge
    IIRC the 2 front O2's needed to be in the exhaust stream. The HPF kit with the AEM, just required them to give ANY reading at all so we mounted them in a dead space box that attached to the DP. The HPF car is back up and running with the ProEFI and it runs great!
    Thanks for the update.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    now for a maxpsi update?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This has gone quiet.l

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    they should do a top mount

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The HPF car is back up and running with the ProEFI and it runs great!
    We'd like to evaluate one but I've contacted Jason and not heard anything back. Is HPF doing retail distribution on these yet?
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    We'd like to evaluate one but I've contacted Jason and not heard anything back. Is HPF doing retail distribution on these yet?
    We sure are, if you're looking to get a ProEFI set up, let me know and we can work something out!
    Click here to enlarge
    HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We sure are, if you're looking to get a ProEFI set up, let me know and we can work something out!
    Can you have Jason give us a call? We're looking to evaluate it for other installations. I've had a hard time getting a hold of him.

Thanks,

neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    Can you have Jason give us a call? We're looking to evaluate it for other installations. I've had a hard time getting a hold of him.

Thanks,

neel
    I hit them up for you, should be receiving a call sometime soon.
    Click here to enlarge
    HorsepowerFreaks.com
    12905 NE Airport Way
    Portland, OR 97230
    (503) 256-5600
    BMW Performance Parts

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    i've been reading on GG's thread about standalones/piggys on bfc. (good read btw GG thanks for starting it) unless there are some serious gains in driveability/better control of VANOS, etc i am not seeing any benefits of using the DME over a modern aftermarket EMS. now granted teh AEM is getting up there in age and several flaws have been pointed out but i don't need to shorten the life of my ECU just to switch from high to low boost nor do i need drive it/mail it somewhere to get the map changed..i just flip a switch.
    once some of these guys rack some mileage i'll probably grab a pro-efi 128, not cause i intend to run ethanol but for added features and less chance of those features failing. if an aftermarket can integrate with a vehicle at the same level as the stock DME can, has the option to meter air using MAF (IF that's a big deal to you...i don't like how MAPs fall out of spec so easily), and has an ass load more safety features...whats so great about an old Siemens/Motronic again?
    Thanks kind sir
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    HPF why not look into DTA?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bump for an update.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Bump for an update.
    Clearly this is not an easy thing to do on the stock DME.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678