Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 45 of 45
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,426
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by deemo319 Click here to enlarge
    What ever it is that is cool. Fast little ride. Let's see, add aFe Stage 2 CAI, Supersprint Down Pipes, Metallic Cat System, Resonator, Connecting Pipe and then figure out the exhaust when they come to market for the car. Dinan Software, StopTech Big Brake Kit, H&R Trac Spacers for the wheels to go the edge of the wells, hmmmm, what else? Click here to enlarge
    well, ditch the AFE for BMS DCI, ditch the supersprint for AR, whatver the best sounding exhaust is, ditch Dinan for JB4, and yea, your about right, a beast of a monster!

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,852
    Rep Points
    3,647.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    Yes Reputation No
    I love it. I'm looking forward to the turbo m3. I've decided that is when I will move on from this car.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    282
    Rep Points
    0.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    I think this was bhp. The original vid post up said "(hp)".

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
    I think this was bhp. The original vid post up said "(hp)".
    Yes, hp at the wheels. Why would they put up a dyno graph that they correct? They haven't done that on their other graphs.

    Here, they have another graph where they compare it to a standard 2008 135 which is right where it should be at the wheels. The graph is not crank, it's the WHP dynojet readout:

    Click here to enlarge

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    They even mention the car seems to be underrated, if the graph was BHP why would it be less than the crank whp which would mean overrated?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by InsideLine
    BMW tends to rate its turbo sixes pretty conservatively, as we've seen similarly robust results like this on previous dyno tests of the 335i and 135i. It's likely that BMW employs a very conservative (read: hot) intercooler temperature when performing the power certification test. This would tend to de-rate the output claimed by the manfacturer.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pretty sure I am in Mexico
    Posts
    926
    Rep Points
    930.9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Where did it say it was corrected? Article provides the graph at the wheels.
    It mentions crank....graph says nothing about being at the wheels...in fact everything very specifically mentions "hp" not "whp" like you normally would....just saying. I doubt it is making well over 400 lb-ft stock, that would seem excessive. I could be wrong though, that is just how i read it.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    It mentions crank....graph says nothing about being at the wheels...in fact everything very specifically mentions "hp" not "whp" like you normally would....just saying. I doubt it is making well over 400 lb-ft stock, that would seem excessive. I could be wrong though, that is just how i read it.
    It doesn't mention BHP just hp, as in you are discussing the horsepower in the graph, which is at the wheels.

    It's a dynograph from a dynojet, not corrected in any way.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    176
    Rep Points
    169.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yes, hp at the wheels. Why would they put up a dyno graph that they correct? They haven't done that on their other graphs.

    Here, they have another graph where they compare it to a standard 2008 135 which is right where it should be at the wheels. The graph is not crank, it's the WHP dynojet readout:

    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...1m_vs135-1.jpg
    Would like to see more dynos to compare. MD has one of the "looser" dynos we've found compared to other dynojets.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tom @ eas Click here to enlarge
    Would like to see more dynos to compare. MD has one of the "looser" dynos we've found compared to other dynojets.
    That is definitely true, everyone says ID uses an optmistic dyno. Regardless, the car is still likely heavily underrated as 15% loss with its crank rating would put it basically at an E46 M3 RWHP wise at about 270, where the 135 already was.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pretty sure I am in Mexico
    Posts
    926
    Rep Points
    930.9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It doesn't mention BHP just hp, as in you are discussing the horsepower in the graph, which is at the wheels.

    It's a dynograph from a dynojet, not corrected in any way.
    well i will admit you have a point about the "under rated" not making sense if the graph is bhp...

    But you are wrong that it is not corrected. It is going to have a SAE or STD correction and smoothing is obvious. No raw dyno looks like that. And to be fair...when around those who know the difference hp almost always refers to bhp, i never even hear bhp...just hp usually when refering to factory numbers. But dynos are referred to in whp unless they have been corrected to crank. It could be whp...not saying that...just that in in almost every case hp=bhp and whp=whp

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    But you are wrong that it is not corrected. It is going to have a SAE or STD correction and smoothing is obvious.
    Sorry, I guess I should have clarified as far is it not being corrected to crank.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    when around those who know the difference hp almost always refers to bhp, i never even hear bhp...just hp usually when refering to factory numbers. But dynos are referred to in whp unless they have been corrected to crank. It could be whp...not saying that...just that in in almost every case hp=bhp and whp=whp
    I don't think this is true. On many boards when people ask how much horsepower you are making it is understood they are asking for wheel figures. On supra forums for example over the past decade this has been commonplace.

    I rarely see dynographs specifically say "wheel horsepower" on them but they do say HP or horse power. You just know it is at the wheels.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    And to be fair...when around those who know the difference hp almost always refers to bhp, i never even hear bhp...just hp usually when refering to factory numbers.
    Here is a good example. This is a standard dynojet graph reading at the wheels. It doesn't say WHP, it says HP as in horsepower, and it is correct as this is the actual horsepower at the wheels:

    Click here to enlarge


    The HP in this graph is not referring to BHP and Insideline likely just copied the format since they used a dynojet. So, actually, most of the time HP is used on a dynograph it is referring to WHP.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pretty sure I am in Mexico
    Posts
    926
    Rep Points
    930.9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Either way...impressive for a factory tune. Especially the torque. I wonder what they are doing to get torque so high compared to hp...tampering boost heavily at high rpm?

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    Either way...impressive for a factory tune. Especially the torque. I wonder what they are doing to get torque so high compared to hp...tampering boost heavily at high rpm?
    Yes, basically it's the overboost function.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    59
    Rep Points
    123.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    I think 1m is a sweet little car.
    Showed it to my girlfriend but she wanted something with 4doors and likes sitting up higher.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,312
    Rep Points
    1,955.5
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think people are putting too much emphasis on the engine side of the M division. There are many other aspects of the car such as brakes and handling and general feel on the road. Looking at the track figures its not shy in those departments.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,737.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    I think people are putting too much emphasis on the engine side of the M division. There are many other aspects of the car such as brakes and handling and general feel on the road. Looking at the track figures its not shy in those departments.
    The motor is the heart and soul of the experience. If it wasn't, you could make an M car just by improving the brakes and handling of a standard BMW. Oh wait, they did...

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pretty sure I am in Mexico
    Posts
    926
    Rep Points
    930.9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    lol....for the price i think it could have been better...but given the time they had it isn't bad. I will be sticking with a JB4 and doing M3 suspension components with some coilovers though...even better suspension for far, far less money. I can live w/o the bodykit and orange paint. My 135i already has ///M badges all over the interior, missing one on the outside isn't going to kill me. haha

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,106
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Holy torque drop! Click here to enlarge

    Lol it can be fixed, be patient. Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •