Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Need Answer ASAP!!! Z4is DCT transmission

My friend is going to lease a Z4 either today or tomorrow. He plans on running an exhaust, tune, and maybe some other bolt-ons. He has the option of getting the 3.0i or the iS. He is happy with either stick or DCT but since he will be modding the car he wants a tranny that will hold up to the extra power.

The DCT on the M3 can take a TON of power but I don't know if it's the same trans in the Z4. Same with the stick tranny.

If money isn't an object, what should he get with his goals of bolton and tune mods?

THANKS!
    his: _______________ hers: Mitsubishi Evolution X
    gone: R35 GT-R,
    C6 Z06, V2 CTS-V, E60 M5 SMG, CLK500

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the 35is and the DCT of course. That is going to yield him the fastest times. Not sure on the options available for it though. Are the downpipes the same as the other N54s? I think the JB4 works for this platform also, but not sure. With those 2 mods you are seeing at least 80whp....the 3.0 N/A will never get there, unless you add a SC. So I'd say go with the 35is all the way.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok so the is' DCT tranny is the same as the one in the M3? Meaning that it can hold an extra 80+whp no problem?
    his: _______________ hers: Mitsubishi Evolution X
    gone: R35 GT-R,
    C6 Z06, V2 CTS-V, E60 M5 SMG, CLK500

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not sure if they are the same, but I wouldn't see why not? There are a couple of 335is with the DCT tranny and JB4's out there. As far as I know, they don't seem to have any problems. Same thing goes for the 2011+ 135is with DCT and tunes. No problems, just glory with those lightning fast shifts Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I actually just looked up the parts on realoem.com and the part # for the M3's DCT is different from the 335is/Z4 35is DCT. So they might be a little different, even though they cost the same. 10G's!!!!!
    Edit: Probably minor differences like the M-Options, but other than that they should be able to handle the same power levels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    youd have better luck and the fastes answer from terry himself. i know he has been busy but a glance over at n54tech may yeild posts about this situation, or you could always email him

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The transmission used on the DCT Z4's is the GETRAG Powershift 7DCI600. Its SUPER fast in gear changing and VERY durable. The official spec's are:
    Max. Torque Capacity: 600 Nm Factory rated, im sure it can handle an extra 50+Nm of Torque if needed.
    Weight (dry): 79 kg
    Installation length: 660 mm
    Synchronization:
    1st, 2nd and 3th gear dual cone
    4th and 5th gear single cone
    6th, and 7th gear single cone
    Reverse gear dual cone
    Gear Spread Ratio: 6,8
    Max. Gross Vehicle Mass/Gross Trailer Mass 2500 kg/4500 kg
    Shifter System: hydraulic
    About the Downpipes only two companies fabricate direct bolt on Downpipes for this vehicle: The Greek Speed&Style and the Japanese TK-Square. Your best bet is to get something good quality wise and have it modified to bolt on to the Z4. About the tune, JB4-V5-ESS would be my options.
    Hope i helped.

-C
    An ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great info. Thanks man!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ItalianStallion Click here to enlarge
    Ok so the is' DCT tranny is the same as the one in the M3? Meaning that it can hold an extra 80+whp no problem?
    Yes, same tranny will handle bolt on's no problem.

The "is" and the DCT, definitely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    35i definitely, both have same engines but the software is different, with a tune both makes equal numbers.
    for the performance factor DCT is the way to go, it's super quick, but having a 6-speed in a little sports car is really fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I believe the 'is' gets the improved cooling package, which at this point imho, is worth getting from the factory instead of trying to retrofit it later
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    I believe the 'is' gets the improved cooling package, which at this point imho, is worth getting from the factory instead of trying to retrofit it later
    Trans cooling package or engine cooling package?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Engine as far as I know. Radiator, fan, etc
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The performance cooling pack consists of an extra radiator (installs on the oposite side of where the oil cooler is) and a higher output (850-watt) fan, image attached. Nothing that gives anything performance wise, just increases engine longevity. I'd still opt for a larger intercooler/better oil cooler instead.

Click here to enlarge

-C

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ Thanks, I never got around to digging that up
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    im actually the one this thread was made for...my question was wether or not should i get the "is" or should i get the stick with all the m package since the engine and suspension is essentially the same minus the whole over boost function..and exhaust...and in regards to performance...which would end up being faster modified...i know the dct shifts crazy which is good for holding boost...but the fun factor or driving stick will always be in the back of my head...then again..the fun factor of winning is always in front of that thought lol...what do you guys think and why...which car(35isdct or 35istick with the m package of course) will end up being faster...and how much by...so far everybody tells me the dct will kill it..is this true?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The DCT will be much much faster. Just look at the M3 DCT vs M3 6MT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I am pretty sure that there isnt an option for Manual gearbox (stick) on the 35is. It comes with the 7 Speed Dual Clutch Transmission only. But if there is the DCT will always be faster in both acceleration (0-60 1/4mile) and in track. The DCT shifts are lightning fast, which is twice as fast on our turbo N54's because the boost drops are minimal and the downshift/rev matching is excellent.
    Hope that helped.
    -C

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If it was my choice, I'd be asking myself what purpose the car will serve.

If I want to minimize lap times, or ET, and/or relieve my 'attention budget' to enable better focus on other parts of my (likely competitive) driving, I'd choose the DCT.
    However, if the thrill of driving and engagment with the more organic experience of DIY shifting, rev matching etc is a higher value, I'd buy the stick.

**Disclaimer** I've never even driven a DCT so my comments about thrills and engagement related to driving the stick are purely conjecture. FWIW, I'd drive a DCT for a summer and write a nice review if anyone wants to supply one. Z4 would be fine.

Dan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Stick is more fun to drive personally. If you drive manuals normally don't get the DcT it will be really nice in the begining but in the end you will get tired of it, I know this first hand. I don't think the increase in pric for the Is is worth it over the standard I. I just picked up a z435i and am really enjoying it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is a video to showcast how much powerful a Z4 DCT can be. This is a roll between a E92 M3 vs a E89 Z435i DCT of forum member Karizma Z4. The M3 i think is pretty much stock except filter/exhaust and the Z4 only had a custom flash tune and downpipes at the moment, no aftermarket intercooler nor intake or exhaust. Look how that Z4 kills the M3:

Personally? I never regret getting a DCT Z4 and i will have trouble going back to manual transmission, im spoiled Click here to enlarge
    I hope i answered the questions you raised performance wise Click here to enlarge

-C
    Last edited by Constant; 05-27-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks alot guys...u definetely helped...the n54 is amazing..so much potential

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    dude i would get the manual, Stick in a little sports car = fun !

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    how much power can the stock cluth hold..i know these cars make good power with minor mods like a flash downpipe and intake...and which tranny will hold the power better

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by infamousdru Click here to enlarge
    how much power can the stock cluth hold..i know these cars make good power with minor mods like a flash downpipe and intake...and which tranny will hold the power better
    Both transmissions will take whatever you throw at them with bolt on's. The DCT ultimately is more difficult to upgrade but parts are out to do, thanks to me Click here to enlarge The manual you can upgrade the clutch pretty far so if you really want 1000 whp you will be able to beef it up to take it not that you will make that power anyway.

Both are good options, if you want driver interaction go manual if every tenth matters to you as well as convenience, go DCT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast