Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Funkboy316 Click here to enlarge
    at one time chris told me( not personally, actually he posted it somewhere) he needed to sell 100 kits to reach ROI, however they also never expected to sell so many higher stage kits so quickly. they believed they would sell alot more stage 1 kits than they did. with everyone going stright for the higher stage kits Im sure the number of kits to reach ROI decreased significantly.

now this is just my speculation but i believe it to be true.
    I remember the same.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    But then why would they make such a large investment in it? Just is not logical.
    For fun, and for 'marketing'. People who aren't even remotely in the BMW Scene.. know what an HPF M3 is and think they're bad ass. Its just a marketing arm. That and it makes money, just not nearly as much as selling parts. However they both help each other out.. the parts side brings money for development of the HPF M3 (etc) side, and the attention from the HPF M3's (etc,) brings business to the other side. While I was there at the shop for 12 hours doing the final touches on my car, multiple customers came in to pickup parts they'd ordered for non-bmw cars, and they all took pictures of the HPF Shop car parked outside, and knew about it and thought it was pretty bad ass. Chris knows marketing, and he knows how to build really high quality stuff, they don't skimp on anything and as far as after market turbo kits go (for any car) they're pretty unrivaled.

Edit: I question his recent marketing tactics with Fallon and what not, just don't find it to be an effective strategy. Stick to building awesome stuff that sells itself. Technical videos, etc.. putting a pair of tit's on the internet next to a turbo isn't great marketing, thats mexican calling card marketing at its best. In my opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We really don't know their finances but in all likelihood they are in the green.

If you check out my interview with Chris though from a little while back he said they still had money to get back: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...sepower-Freaks
    Thanks for the link! Great interview sticky.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Funkboy316 Click here to enlarge
    this!
    it was either Dave or Chris that told me once that the m3 market is only about 25% of their business.......i dont remember which one told me, it was several years ago
    I did not mention this in my post because I was just focusing on the kits and what I think that they sold in order to be in the green.

Being a HPF fanboi I have watched all the vids and read all the threads. If I recall correctly, recently Chris said that the sales of their kits is about 10% of their sales. They make most off the parts, they have a great website with a lot of parts for practically every vehicle. I think the kits are purely a passion for Chris, and like Marcus said, very good marketing that helped catapult HPF into a large company.

I remember reading an article saying that HPF was on one of the top 100 new multi million dollar businesses back in 07 or something around then, so where talking big big money.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
    For fun, and for 'marketing'. People who aren't even remotely in the BMW Scene.. know what an HPF M3 is and think they're bad ass. Its just a marketing arm. That and it makes money, just not nearly as much as selling parts. However they both help each other out.. the parts side brings money for development of the HPF M3 (etc) side, and the attention from the HPF M3's (etc,) brings business to the other side. While I was there at the shop for 12 hours doing the final touches on my car, multiple customers came in to pickup parts they'd ordered for non-bmw cars, and they all took pictures of the HPF Shop car parked outside, and knew about it and thought it was pretty bad ass. Chris knows marketing, and he knows how to build really high quality stuff, they don't skimp on anything and as far as after market turbo kits go (for any car) they're pretty unrivaled.

Edit: I question his recent marketing tactics with Fallon and what not, just don't find it to be an effective strategy. Stick to building awesome stuff that sells itself. Technical videos, etc.. putting a pair of tit's on the internet next to a turbo isn't great marketing, thats mexican calling card marketing at its best. In my opinion.
    I agree that they have a very large operation going, wich costs big bucks to maintain. I was just going into the turbo kit side of the business, wich I think they now have recouped their R&D money. I think if they wanted too, proefi could be an option, and a very smart move if you ask me.

I agree with you very much regarding Fallon. Seems very weird to me, I get it but don't think I would do the same. Maybe hire her for a quick photo shoot here and there, or to model at shows but it seems like theirs more to it than is perceived. I dunno, kinda weird to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

One of the most solid posts I have read in a long time.

Amazing what happens when the more mature HPF owners gather in one place.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bmxpert86 Click here to enlarge
    I agree with you very much regarding Fallon. Seems very weird to me, I get it but don't think I would do the same. Maybe hire her for a quick photo shoot here and there, or to model at shows but it seems like theirs more to it than is perceived. I dunno, kinda weird to me.
    I believe you are onto something good sir, excellent critical thinking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Edit: I question his recent marketing tactics with Fallon and what not, just don't find it to be an effective strategy.
    Fallon is his gf.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
    Fallon is his gf.
    Cats out of the bag?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Cats out of the bag?
    I think most of us knew that.. but regardless its just poor taste in marketing imo. Then again maybe 20 something year olds are more prone to falling for that sort of marketing.. I'll admit when Starla starts talking turbo's and wastegates my wallet comes out.. but when Fallon starts talking turbos and wastegates I know its lines that have been fed to her.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I think most of us knew that.. but regardless its just poor taste in marketing imo. Then again maybe 20 something year olds are more prone to falling for that sort of marketing..
    What 20 year old's have money for these kits? Wait, they will fall for the marketing and parents will pay? That would actually explain some of the attitudes from a few HPF owners and I'm sure you know who I am talking about.

but when Fallon starts talking turbos and wastegates I know its lines that have been fed to her.
    I just can't take that junk seriously. It's fine, market with her, but just have her be the pretty face that smilies and nods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

What 20 year old's have money for these kits? Wait, they will fall for the marketing and parents will pay?
    They don't have the money, that's why I'm a little perplexed by the approach.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

They don't have the money, that's why I'm a little perplexed by the approach.
    Same.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

but they have credit Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If you want a functional CEL on your HPF, i'd spoken to roman@ess a while back. they can put the cam codes on an 'ignore list' effectively bringing the CEL back as a warning light.
    As far as Pro-EFI, i'm a little concerned about everyone hopping on the bandwagon so early. I think we need to sit back and wait to see Jim's car back to successfully using the MAP sensor.

The $1k unlock is too rich for my blood. ESP if thats 4 hours over the phone. i'd rather pay the unlock and get JP to do some work 'off the books'

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by black bnr32 Click here to enlarge
    Fallon is his gf.
    that's what i assumed to. but i'm not sure what the big deal is though. are we so nerdy that we freak out when someone brings a chick into the mix? its not like anyone's work back in the shop is going to suffer due to it. and like everyone has said, its not a good ploy since its targeting a younger crowd, so who cares!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    that's what i assumed to. but i'm not sure what the big deal is though. are we so nerdy that we freak out when someone brings a chick into the mix? its not like anyone's work back in the shop is going to suffer due to it. and like everyone has said, its not a good ploy since its targeting a younger crowd, so who cares!
    Nah, no big deal and I don't give a crap about his personal life. I think it is more along the lines of cheapening the image by using sex to market. I'd rather have more of their traditional stuff but hey, whatever, it's their business.

Also, if things don't work out, having your ex on all your company marketing won't be a pleasant reminder but it will be there to stay.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    1. Sex sells
    2. 20yr olds will one day have better jobs and thus HPF's future
    3. Or... They have credit lol.
    4. Girlfriend involved as a primary image on your ESTABLISHED company = trouble
    5. Attention regardless if it's negative or not is attention..most people will see around the drama but it brings a spotlight to the company.

I see no loosing either way...depends on everyones tastes...i prefer more in depth tech marketing myself but thats just me.

Whats the old equation? Women= square root of evil= cash or some crap lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin Click here to enlarge
    2. 20yr olds will one day have better jobs and thus HPF's future
    When, in 10 years when nobody even cares about the E46 all that much anymore considering all the new BMW's will be turbo'd from the factory and the economy recovers?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin Click here to enlarge
    4. Girlfriend involved as a primary image on your ESTABLISHED company = trouble
    That's what I was thinking.

I see no loosing either way...depends on everyones tastes...i prefer more in depth tech marketing myself but thats just me.
    There's plenty of sites to see sex, would be nice to have an area to ourselves for cars damn it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent post. Couldn't agree more!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

There's plenty of sites to see sex, would be nice to have an area to ourselves for cars damn it.
    Exactly.

It would be a completely different story if the girl knew cars.. then you've got a deadly combo.. but unless you're just completely retarded you're not going to be presueded into buying parts simply becauuse they put a random chick next to them. Unless you're selling Harley parts apparently.. as that seems to be pretty big in the classy and dignified harley market.. and we all know harley is on the cutting edge of performance what with their 50hp 1100cc engines and all.. (jokes of course)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's this girls background? Did she come from another car shop?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sickbmw Click here to enlarge
    What's this girls background? Did she come from another car shop?
    Uh oh...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An unsound analogy is unsound but a solid one certainly can advance an argument. ?
    I don't know who told you that but they're very wrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nickr519 Click here to enlarge
    I don't know who told you that but they're very wrong
    I don't really see how they can be wrong or how a sound analogy can't be used to advance ones point of view. It happens all the time, courtrooms, debates, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Uh oh...
    Crickets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought that she might be his girl...well or at least they were doing the horizontal hustle. Not a good move, mixing buisness with pleasure, that equals your shop up in flames at 3am.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast