Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HPFP still fails .. even after 'recall pump'

4 weeks ago, my old HPFP was starting to fail with long cranks -- so at my service appointment, they replaced the HPFP with the newest available, the 'recall' pump, the one that supposedly doesn't fail.

I installed my DCI this morning, and was out testing .. I was going WOT on the highway to get around a Mercedes SL, and 'CLUNK' .. half engine light on .. reduced power. Unfortunately, my JB4 was set to autoclear codes, so before I knew it the light disappeared and car returned to normal.

I disabled autoclear, and was doing some runs against my buddy with the Cobb car .. good news, JB4 map 2 was now keeping up with his 16PSI Cobb tune (other than a bog into 4th - which gave him half a length!) .. then a few runs later .. 'CLUNK' .. half engine is back.

This time I had the code, so plugged in the laptop .. sure enough 29F2 - High Pressure Fuel System.

So there you have it .. the HPFP is still failing. Now I have to deinstall my JB4 and cones .. and book it in for service.

Not impressed with the HPFP situation ..
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Funny to read your post earlier about you thinking your pump would fail.

Sorry, maybe funny isn't the right word.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

find out what pump was used in 07/08 mine seems to be holding on strong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there a remote possibility that something I did with the DCI install would cause this code?

Long shot I know .. but I hate the idea of deinstalling everything, going to the dealer, and then reinstalling .. especially since my hands still have the cuts from today's install .. LOL.

I threw the code three times in one day .. so I'm going to throw my stock box back on and see if I can trigger it again ..
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    find out what pump was used in 07/08 mine seems to be holding on strong
    +1 my build is august/07 - no issues with the pump yet. Fingers crossed. It was an European delivery though, not sure if that makes a diff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

$#@!in A, lost marine. Mine is running fine too, hmm
    whats the difference between a ginger and a shoe.........shoes have soles

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who wants to trade HPFP .. I promise to give it back .. eventually.. maybe..
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Higher boost puts more stress on the pump. So maybe it's the map 2 vs. map 1 pushing it over the edge. A healthy pump will never throw that code though.

JB4+DCI removal should take 15-20 min tops after you've done it once or twice. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

This makes me worry. 2008 Jan Build and on first pump until the car went into dealer last week. Recall was done without a option for me to reserve the right to do it when I want. Praying the setup I get back works. With the RB's I cannot afford to run short of fuel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I haven't seen these fail on the N63/S63 is it a different pump or am I just missing reports of them failing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    I haven't seen these fail on the N63/S63 is it a different pump or am I just missing reports of them failing?
    Likely a different pump setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    This makes me worry. 2008 Jan Build and on first pump until the car went into dealer last week. Recall was done without a option for me to reserve the right to do it when I want. Praying the setup I get back works. With the RB's I cannot afford to run short of fuel.
    yea, that really sucks. i went in for routine maint. and they tried to get me to sign off on the newest pump, this was 2-3 days before BAP testing, so i said no freaking way. they said i had to, i said, im not signing this so no, your not doing it. guess what, they didnt do it Click here to enlarge i needed some sort of failsafe if this pump were to die.

i am curious now though, if i do get the new one, for whatever reason, and that dies to, am i still covered on another one ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I curious as to why there are no aftermarket HPFPs for the N54 .. are they hard to replicate / produce? Is it something else causing the HPFP to fail?

With the failure rate, somebody could make a quick mint!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I curious as to why there are no aftermarket HPFPs for the N54 .. are they hard to replicate / produce? Is it something else causing the HPFP to fail?

With the failure rate, somebody could make a quick mint!
    I don't really understand why nobody has been able to do an aftermarket replacement pump either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Went out this evening .. for about an hour, with lots of WOT runs .. and logged lots. I was unable to get the car to go in limp mode tonight .. yet yesterday it was very easy. My car actually felt stronger than ever..

Not sure what to do .. deinstall everything and just get the dealership to replace the pump (I left the code in the ECU so they can't deny the problem), or chance it for a little longer.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Went out this evening .. for about an hour, with lots of WOT runs .. and logged lots. I was unable to get the car to go in limp mode tonight .. yet yesterday it was very easy. My car actually felt stronger than ever..

Not sure what to do .. deinstall everything and just get the dealership to replace the pump (I left the code in the ECU so they can't deny the problem), or chance it for a little longer.
    Chancing it for a little longer will just end up being more of an inconvenience when it dies and you have to have them tow it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Chancing it for a little longer will just end up being more of an inconvenience when it dies and you have to have them tow it.
    True enough .. going from WOT to limp mode was like hitting a brick wall. I hate to think what WOT to complete power loss is like.

Maybe I'll just opt for the safe route .. de-install, and hope BMW can fit me in on Tuesday (Monday is a long weekend here in Canada).
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Car back to stock now .. removed DCI, JB4 & USB. It all went well, apart from getting out the USB cable.. it got stuck on something and took me forever to free.

Went on a road test, expecting it to feel slow .. but it doesn't. It still has bags of power .. and MUCH smoother; I forgot how smooth this car was pre-JB4.

Not sure what to make of all this. But I'm going to call the dealership in the morning to get the HPFP changed out.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Update on this saga .. got car back .. new HPFP (another 446) .. let's stick the JB back on and see what happens !!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Update on this saga .. got car back .. new HPFP (another 446) .. let's stick the JB back on and see what happens !!
    Fook me thats crazy. Picking mine up today so will report back with part and what what.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have an 07... my fuel pump was never ever a problem. I got the new one put in 3 weeks ago and now i have a long ass crank every morning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So my HPFP (pump #3) has started to show some mild symptoms of failure again. I've had one or two long cranks, and tonight during a little testing, the car was feeling a bit hesitant in places (exactly what it did prior to the last failure).

I'm expecting limp mode any day now.

If this pump goes, I'm getting rid of this car. I can't be going to the dealership every couple of months, it's unacceptable to be on potentially the 4th pump in a little over a year since the car was new.

Question is, what do I replace it with? I'd like a E92 M3, but am not willing to spend $12k on a supercharger. Stock, they would be too slow up here at 4,000ft. There are also a couple of C6 Z06's around here that look great, but I'm unsure of the econo-interior, and whether it'd actually feel right (I typically don't like American cars!). I've always had a soft spot for the 911 turbo, but I'd have to go all the way back to 2002/2003 to find something in my price range. E60 M5? Hmm.. don't like sedans much any more.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the pump is just having a bad day.. I actually like my 335i, when it works.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

If this pump goes, I'm getting rid of this car. I can't be going to the dealership every couple of months, it's unacceptable to be on potentially the 4th pump in a little over a year since the car was new.
    Yep, direct injection sure is awesome and all.

Question is, what do I replace it with? I'd like a E92 M3, but am not willing to spend $12k on a supercharger. Stock, they would be too slow up here at 4,000ft. There are also a couple of C6 Z06's around here that look great, but I'm unsure of the econo-interior, and whether it'd actually feel right (I typically don't like American cars!). I've always had a soft spot for the 911 turbo, but I'd have to go all the way back to 2002/2003 to find something in my price range. E60 M5? Hmm.. don't like sedans much any more.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the pump is just having a bad day.. I actually like my 335i, when it works.
    All depends on your budget. Tell us that and we can go from there Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yep, direct injection sure is awesome and all.

All depends on your budget. Tell us that and we can go from there Click here to enlarge
    About 50-60k, so I'd be looking at something used. Remember I'm in Canada, so we pay a premium for everything Click here to enlarge

I'd rather not have to change cars .. I'd probably lose so much on my 335i

Part of me wants to test drive this .. !
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I'd rather not have to change cars .. I'd probably lose so much on my 335i
    Then a trip to the dealer it will be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast