Close

Page 38 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    Here you go - excuse the flash burn...

Attachment 12984
    Attachment 12985
    Attachment 12986
    Thank you!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No problem - anytime. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, post 876 shows they know how to reassemble it. That's good stuff.

cliff notes anyone?

What special fabricated parts are we waiting on.
    Click here to enlarge
    milkt org

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by milkt Click here to enlarge

cliff notes anyone?

Plus 1. It maybe better to wait for someone to wreck the new m5 and swap the transie over into the never ending project
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Plus 1. It maybe better to wait for someone to wreck the new m5 and swap the transie over into the never ending project
    I really think this is a good way to get hands on one - would probably be close to a perfect fit, and would be perfect for you guys with some serious torque.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And we know this (wreck) will happen within the first month (week) this thing is released Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The electronics in the M5 transmission may not make it a simple swap.

Regardless, it's torque capability will be less than what my trans is capable of.

Not to mention getting a hold of a $15k transmission out of a brand new car isn't exactly easy...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ya, it makes far more sense to wait around and hope someone wrecks one and then that they sell their transmission rather than upgrade your own, logical.

Never ending? Ok, if you say so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

cliff notes anyone?

There are no parts to wait on, read the update.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I really think this is a good way to get hands on one - would probably be close to a perfect fit, and would be perfect for you guys with some serious torque.
    It may be a long time until serious torque is available to these cars, but they're handsome and handle well.
    Click here to enlarge
    milkt org

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    We stopped by Active Autowerkes last night on the way down to Homestead Speedway's 1/8th mile dragstrip and they said my friends 2011 BMW 335is DCT has the Getrag 7DCI600 in it. They had a bunch of cool projects going on in there garage.
    2011 335i E90 A/T M-Sport

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It may be a long time until serious torque is available to these cars, but they're handsome and handle well.
    The M5 already is hitting 700 Nm (which is what the new Getrag is rated at) - the 335i with a good kit (from the dyno numbers I have seen) is really close to 500 ft-lbs which is right about 700Nm...

You are right if you are talking S65 power though - I think most kits are a bit north of 400 ft-lbs...

It's the hard launches that will kill the clutches - throwing sticky tires (drag radials?) with 400 ft-lbs of torque - and having no wheel slip is different than launching with slip. Time will tell - but even Sticky's clutch(es) were hurting - and as you said, well under serious torque levels...

If I could (even @ stock power levels) have the new Getrag transmission, I would love to - just for the comfort of not burning out expensive clutches.

They are damn good looking cars - and handle very well. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PennywiseM3 Click here to enlarge
    We stopped by Active Autowerkes last night on the way down to Homestead Speedway's 1/8th mile dragstrip and they said my friends 2011 BMW 335is DCT has the Getrag 7DCI600 in it. They had a bunch of cool projects going on in there garage.
    That makes sense and there are plenty of options for strengthening the 7DCI600.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The M5 already is hitting 700 Nm (which is what the new Getrag is rated at) - the 335i with a good kit (from the dyno numbers I have seen) is really close to 500 ft-lbs which is right about 700Nm...

You are right if you are talking S65 power though - I think most kits are a bit north of 400 ft-lbs...

It's the hard launches that will kill the clutches - throwing sticky tires (drag radials?) with 400 ft-lbs of torque - and having no wheel slip is different than launching with slip. Time will tell - but even Sticky's clutch(es) were hurting - and as you said, well under serious torque levels...

If I could (even @ stock power levels) have the new Getrag transmission, I would love to - just for the comfort of not burning out expensive clutches.

They are damn good looking cars - and handle very well. Click here to enlarge
    Torque levels are meaningless and with a centrifugal blower it isn't about peak torque but adding it toward redline for hp multiplication which some guys don't seem to understand.

My clutches were used up from launches not hurting from torque.

I want horsepower and making more with less torque means less stress and less traction issues. These guys whining about torque in cars that are slower is hilarious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Agreed - if I wanted gobs of torque, I would buy a 330d. I like moderate amounts of torque - created across A HUGE RPM band (M3), to make a very good horsepower average - and a redline horsepower that is outstanding. This makes for a car that is "easy" to control out of corners - and simply a great overall "feel"...

I think the whole torque thing is overrated (no pun intended - although not sure if this is a pun) Click here to enlarge -- point is, I think people like the way it feels and equate it with speed - it's hard to explain that it's horsepower not torque that matters. Being able to make torque at high RPM is what matters - and that's what your centrifugal supercharger is helping out with. The car is running out of breath at 8000+ RPMs - and you are helping it out with more and more air as engine speed increases.

Would really love to see your car run when you are done with it - it's been a long ride, but am sure it will be awesome when back on the streets.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ya, it makes far more sense to wait around and hope someone wrecks one and then that they sell their transmission rather than upgrade your own, logical.

Never ending? Ok, if you say so.
    It was a joke making fun of ur never ending thread. I guess that was way over ur head. Now go try and interview someone when they do not want to be(test driver for bmw in the m5 priceless)Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by GG///M3; 12-17-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It was a joke making fun of ur never ending thread. I guess that was way over ur head. Now go try and interview someone when they do not want to be(test driver for bmw in the m5 priceless)Click here to enlarge
    Kind if cute how you follow me around like a puppy dog. Never ending? Weird, last update was the end of the trans build but don't let reality or anything get in your way.

What is priceless is how you are such a jealous hater. This obviously isn't the forum for you. When people have transmissions worth more than your entire car you probably shouldn't try to talk down when they are doing things you never will be able to. Hi 5

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I may be new here, and I've read this whole thread... and let me just say Sticky that you're kinda like one of those fly traps hanging from the ceiling, your name suits you well.

I commend you for dealing with all these haters over product development in your own personal car, and how you handle them all. Not going to lie I've seen probably THE STUPIDEST responses to your project to date, that I've seen on any forum... ever.

K.. back on topic... those oil pans are sick!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e38 prototype Click here to enlarge
    I may be new here, and I've read this whole thread... and let me just say Sticky that you're kinda like one of those fly traps hanging from the ceiling, your name suits you well.

I commend you for dealing with all these haters over product development in your own personal car, and how you handle them all. Not going to lie I've seen probably THE STUPIDEST responses to your project to date, that I've seen on any forum... ever.

K.. back on topic... those oil pans are sick!!
    Most people are cool about it, it's just the same couple people who have a problem with everything. Doesn't matter, they are irrelevant. Thanks for the kinds words, it's an interesting project.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky I got a question.
    I just boosted my e93 m3, ess 600 kit. Car is a dct w/ full catless exhaust and 3.45 gears. I have been putting the tranny into safe mode with some hard launches back to back so I have been looking into doing a dct tranny cooler and possibly add the SSP pan w/ 2 extra liters of capacity as well as cooling fins.

Do you happen to know if the cooler SSP made for you retains DME-controlled oil flow and temperature control?

I would also like to ask a few other questions, any way we could have a quick talk on the phone? Lemme know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stega Click here to enlarge
    Do you happen to know if the cooler SSP made for you retains DME-controlled oil flow and temperature control?
    Yes, those DME functions were not altered.

I would also like to ask a few other questions, any way we could have a quick talk on the phone? Lemme know.
    I would prefer to just speak on the forum as on the phone won't serve as a resource for anyone. Any questions you have just go ahead and ask here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok cool I will ask here, I agree its nice if everyone can learn... did SSP ever figure out where they are mounting the cooler as it was in the way of the blowers cooler...?

Does this replace the oem tranny cooler mounted passenger side of bumper??

Thanks for the quick response.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    did SSP ever figure out where they are mounting the cooler as it was in the way of the blowers cooler...?
    No, they should be doing that next week.

Does this replace the oem tranny cooler mounted passenger side of bumper??
    Yes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok, so I am assuming it was impossible to fit the new one in the OEM's cooler place? Not even if they cut away a bit??

Cant wait to see your car running, at that point I will have a few more questions.

I also wanted to say I love the site and what you have done with your build, all of the info here has been extremely helpful to many decisions I have made. You got some balls most of the M community does not.

PS: ESS is betta!! lol j/k Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok, so I am assuming it was impossible to fit the new one in the OEM's cooler place? Not even if they cut away a bit??
    Most likely, yes. It is much larger.

Cant wait to see your car running, at that point I will have a few more questions.
    I hope I will have the answers and I can't wait to see it running either.

I also wanted to say I love the site and what you have done with your build, all of the info here has been extremely helpful to many decisions I have made. You got some balls most of the M community does not.
    My pleasure, if you appreciate it please refer people to it.

Yes, big balls, $#@! the warranty.

Page 38 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast