Close

Page 129 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130 LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,225 of 3248
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by keikdasneak Click here to enlarge
    This thread went insane. Money, and who's parents had it worse ? -_- My family where slaves and I don't bring that up. I am 28 years old and have three cars my own house, my own business but I am not as happy as I can be. Money does nothing for me.
    Well said brother.
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I just want to see 800whp in a stage 3 DCT SC M3.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Wow, this thread has gone bananas.

Honestly, it would be great if someone would do a Cliff's Notes of the relevant DCT info/timeline.

I'm not going back to look it all up, but from memory, I think it goes something like this:

1. Sticky buys a DCT e9x M3.
    2. Sticky puts a blower on his M3.
    3. Sticky does a ton of drag-strip passes with his blown M3, and completely trashes his stock OEM DCT. Can't buy just replacement clutches, because it's all too new. It's either buy a whole new DCT from the dealer for crazy $$$, or find someone to rebuild the stocker that got trashed.
    4. Sticky investigates rebuild options. No one has done one yet. No one is particularly interested in doing one, either, but SSP offers to rebuild it on their own dime if they get the R&D out of the deal.
    5. SSP takes a looong time to rebuild Sticky's DCT.
    6. Gintani takes a looong time to build Sticky's motor and install his newer, bigger blower kit.
    7. Once all of the hardware side is completed, Gintani starts dyno tuning Sticky's car. The brand-new SSP clutches hold WOT dyno pulls on pump fuel, and allegedly set a new pump-fuel record for an e9x M3. Then race-fuel tuning starts, and the DCT starts slipping.
    8. Sticky reaches out to SSP to let them know, and SSP decides they no longer want to be involved with this ongoing project anymore.
    9. A nasty back-and-forth series of posts breaks out here on GB between SSP and Sticky.

^^^Does that basically sum it up, or am I missing any critical steps so far?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge

Honestly, it would be great if someone would do a Cliff's Notes of the relevant DCT info/timeline.

I'm not going back to look it all up, but from memory, I think it goes something like this:

3. Sticky does a ton of drag-strip passes with his blown M3, and completely trashes his stock OEM DCT. Can't buy just replacement clutches, because it's all too new. It's either buy a whole new DCT from the dealer for crazy $$$, or find someone to rebuild the stocker that got trashed.
    4. Sticky investigates rebuild options. No one has done one yet. No one is particularly interested in doing one, either, but SSP offers to rebuild it on their own dime if they get the R&D out of the deal.
    6. Gintani takes a looong time to build Sticky's motor and install his newer, bigger blower kit.
    7. Once all of the hardware side is completed, Gintani starts dyno tuning Sticky's car. The brand-new SSP clutches hold WOT dyno pulls on pump fuel, and allegedly set a new pump-fuel record for an e9x M3. Then race-fuel tuning starts, and the DCT starts slipping.
    8. Sticky reaches out to SSP to let them know, and SSP decides they no longer want to be involved with this ongoing project anymore.
    9. A nasty back-and-forth series of posts breaks out here on GB between SSP and Sticky.

nope, looks good

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

That's basically it although I did a ton of drag passes before the blower. People forget I had the NA record too.

Although I would also say SSP never got the project right in the first place despite taking their sweet time.

It's not the issue with the clutches holding however. It's the trans shifting gears randomly, going into neutral, just not doing what it should. We found out why.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's not the issue with the clutches holding however, it's the trans shifting gears randomly, going into neutral, just not doing what it should. We found out why.
    That sounds like a software/coding issue...? TCU not talking to the hardware properly and vice versa?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

That sounds like a software/coding issue...? TCU not talking to the hardware properly and vice versa?
    No, not software.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No, not software.
    Okay - fair enough. I'll wait to hear what the issue was, when you're ready to post it. My thinking was, if the clutches were one of the primary changes, and quirky behavior like random shifts, going into neutral when it shouldn't, etc. is happening - something in the electronic chain might be acting up. Unless SSP got the basic dimensions/spacing wrong within the box...?

Anyway, again - sorry to hear you're going through this... pioneering something usually has bumps along the way, but this has seemingly had more than its fair share.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Okay - fair enough. I'll wait to hear what the issue was, when you're ready to post it. My thinking was, if the clutches were one of the primary changes, and quirky behavior like random shifts, going into neutral when it shouldn't, etc. is happening - something in the electronic chain might be acting up. Unless SSP got the basic dimensions/spacing wrong within the box...?
    I mean you're right in a sense that the elctronics are telling the trans to go into neutral or shift. But it's because of a hardware issue as the dct computer isn't getting what it's expecting from the hardware. They upped the line pressure to the max and it simply wasn't that. It's actually something pretty basic that caused all of this and they are seeing if they can fix it. Funny how the "dct experts" messed this up and a tuner who doesn't even specialize in this transmissions managed to notice it. I'll have more soon.

Anyway, again - sorry to hear you're going through this... pioneering something usually has bumps along the way, but this has seemingly had more than its fair share.
    It's really not that big of a deal. Others make a far bigger deal about the bumps and the time than I do. Others also use the bumps and time to put me down but those aren't the enthusiasts.

Then there are some like SSP who want to shift the blame away as quickly as possible making up whatever is necessary to do so. Everything will be set straight in due time, hopefully this next week. Nobody is going to ever want to use SSP for anything ever again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

It's the trans shifting gears randomly, going into neutral, just not doing what it should. We found out why.
    I'll have more soon.
    explain

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    explain
    I'm supposed to explain what 'I'll have more soon' means?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

1 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm supposed to explain what 'I'll have more soon' means?
    dont try to use logic here, the mentality is that you are supposed to drop everything and tell every detail about your car everytime some one asks Click here to enlarge
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    dont try to use logic here, the mentality is that you are supposed to drop everything and tell every detail about your car everytime some one asks Click here to enlarge
    or
    We found out why.
    makes it sound like there is information to be shared.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    makes it sound like there is information to be shared.
    Yes, there is. I'll share as soon as I find out what they figure out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The sense that I get is that sticky has a vague understanding of what the problem might be, but he wants to be 100% certain before posting about it. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I could be wrong...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    The sense that I get is that sticky has a vague understanding of what the problem might be, but he wants to be 100% certain before posting about it. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I could be wrong...
    Nah, Sticky is a attention whore and just wants to build up suspense LOL

I'm interested in the findings too. DCT is really the only way to go in an M3!

I wonder what german tuners like Manhart Racing or Hamann would say on these issues. I know they can handle whole engine and transmission swaps, so maybe they also have something up their sleeve to strengthen the DCT? Maybe Sticky should reach out in that direction?
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Nah, Sticky is a attention whore and just wants to build up suspense LOLI'm interested in the findings too. DCT is really the only way to go in an M3! I wonder what german tuners like Manhart Racing or Hamann would say on these issues. I know they can handle whole engine and transmission swaps, so maybe they also have something up their sleeve to strengthen the DCT? Maybe Sticky should reach out in that direction?
    Those german companies you mentioned aren't on the US level. Honestly, we crush them for less money. We're honestly still the best in the private sector in car tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Those german companies you mentioned aren't on the US level. Honestly, we crush them for less money. We're honestly still the best in the private sector in car tuning.
    The best for domestics, but also the best for german cars...?

G-Power offers high power S/C kits and a "modified DCT Drivelogic". I'd give them a call.

http://www.g-power.de/934.html?L=1&c...#Produkt_Start
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

@Sticky

Any technical updates or SSP updates?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    @Sticky

Any technical updates or SSP updates?
    Just wait.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 7 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

IT WORKS!!!

This post by Serps is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Serps Click here to enlarge
    Sticky posted a separate update showing his works too
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

K.I.S.S. method strikes again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I think this is ridiculous, all of it.

There will never be a truthful side to this debacle, because so many chefs have been in the kitchen.

My experience with technical issues in general is that there is never a clear cause. The more you dig, the more variables you find that could contribute to widely varying outcomes. I do this type of investigation for a living, with huge amounts of $$$ at stake, and I've never seen a beneficial situation from hostility.

All of this mud-slinging between parties isn't benifiting anyone. (Unless you enjoy public spats)

While an OEM transmission is going to handle the new power output for a little while, fatigue and wear is going to surface. It's just a matter of time; even 2000hp drag racing transmissions have failures. What I would do if I was working with this type of transmission, is look into materials processing. There is a ton of processes that can make existing OEM parts stronger, and more durable, without making them out of new and un-tested materials. Companies like Sulzer, WPC, and others with Cryo and REM polishing treatments are hugely successful in the motorsports environment. This stuff works.

For these clutch disks, there is just as much science involved in the transmission fluid as in the clutch material itself. Using different friction modifiers will affect how the clutch works, regardless of electronic control strategy and line pressures. I mention this just as an example of a variable that can leave you asking more questions than are answered...

I guess a person needs to ask where they get their enjoyment from? Building something that works, or enormously drawn out public debates.

Some people may not like what I'm saying, and that's fine. I'm probably contributing to the drama that I complain about by making this post.....
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    ^ Risk cause analysis...like you said there are too many chef's in the kitchen and it is a system of reasons that the setup never worked to begin with.

Regardless the lack of support by SSP and the time consumed is a fact...those reasons alone are enough to not do business with them IMO.