Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 100
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,348
    Rep Points
    2,757.4
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Exactly, BMW seems to mimicking AMG to an extent.

    Hot X6 btw, more pics please.
    that is the only shot of the truck I have..we are doing some small lighting mods to it hopefully soon...

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,808
    Rep Points
    31,800.0
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    What's the over/under on HP figures for the N63 by the end of 2011 you think? I say just over 550whp.
    At the wheels?

    It all depends on if an upgraded turbo kit comes out. I would say cracking 500 whp will be the first hurdle.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,808
    Rep Points
    31,800.0
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    We'll see! My car is still @ AR Designs as they've had some difficulty sourcing parts but that appears to be over and the car should be completed this week. After that we'll see what the N63 is capable of with an aggressive tune and some meth. To get to the 550 I say I'm pretty sure I'll need to upgrade the twins and have been hard at work on that issue. All this delay has allowed me to make some progress on the RB25 though and I'm finally welding in my roll cage this week.
    A few people are making progress on the upgraded twins. Hopefully they come soon as that is exactly what you need.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,386
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    At the wheels?

    It all depends on if an upgraded turbo kit comes out. It would say cracking 500 whp will be the first hurdle.
    I think 500whp can be achieved with FBO and meth while maxing out the twins. Your right though as I wrote getting over 500 will probably require upgraded twins or dare I say a BIG single?!

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,808
    Rep Points
    31,800.0
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    I think 500whp can be achieved with FBO and meth while maxing out the twins. Your right though as I wrote getting over 500 will probably require upgraded twins or dare I say a BIG single?!
    Bing single would be cool but we are a long time away from that.

    I think 500 whp will be the bar to try to hit with the stock twins with FBO and meth. The S63 turbos are only getting up into the 430 or so whp range so for the N63 it will require modified stock twins at the very least.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,616
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Yes Reputation No
    Hey lets swap the S63 turbos to the N54, just throwing that out there!
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,808
    Rep Points
    31,800.0
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Hey lets swap the S63 turbos to the N54, just throwing that out there!
    You are a genius.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14
    Rep Points
    14.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the great info on the N/S63. As a Dinan S1 tuned 550xi owner, I'm interested in seeing how much further the N63 will reliably tune.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Deland, FL
    Posts
    165
    Rep Points
    273.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    The X#M's are also getting different rear axle tuning. The differential isn't really a differential, it actually transfers extra power to the outside wheel to make it turn the corner in a more crisp way. The M package, as gay as it is to have it in an SUV, does do more than just add power.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,892
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Hey lets swap the S63 turbos to the N54, just throwing that out there!
    i recently heard from a reliable source that there is a major difference between the n63 and s63's turbos. forget about twinscroll vs not, did you all know the s63's turbos spin backward? thats right, the engineering behind it is pretty cool actually. but what it makes for is a difficult platform to upgrade on. good luck finding a company to machine larger turbos or chra's that spin opposite, maybe one of the large companies but then you'd need volume. what's interesting is the n63 has turbos that spin normally, normal in the turbo world that is. in my honest opinion, the n63 is the way to go for major power upgrades. sticky you should find out the fine details and edit your OP, in it you say you are unsure of the difference, there should be some data somewhere.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,808
    Rep Points
    31,800.0
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    sticky you should find out the fine details and edit your OP, in it you say you are unsure of the difference, there should be some data somewhere.
    Clarify please? What part are you referring to?

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,808
    Rep Points
    31,800.0
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bimmerdude Click here to enlarge
    The X#M's are also getting different rear axle tuning. The differential isn't really a differential, it actually transfers extra power to the outside wheel to make it turn the corner in a more crisp way. The M package, as gay as it is to have it in an SUV, does do more than just add power.
    True, but really, you aren't going to see a huge difference in handling between an X6 and X6M especially when the X6 already puts up impressive skidpag numbers. The M version is just putting an elephant in pinstripes hoping you don't notice the heft.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,808
    Rep Points
    31,800.0
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dunderhi Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the great info on the N/S63. As a Dinan S1 tuned 550xi owner, I'm interested in seeing how much further the N63 will reliably tune.
    My pleasure, these articles are fun.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,892
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Clarify please? What part are you referring to?
    this portion:

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Can I just add the S63 turbos, manifold, and other parts to my N63?

    Maybe. Wish I had a better answer but that is where we are currently at with these platforms. Sure, you can order the parts as they are available from dealers but it is not quite so simple as just bolting them on. Yes, physically, you will have no issues matching them up. The problem would be the tuning. I can tell you there currently are tuners trying to do exactly this. Have they been successful? Well, the jury is still out on that as the hurdle seems to be the tuning. What is more likely is that upgrades that are currently in the works will apply to both the S63 and the N63. Since these upgrades will be more efficient than the factory parts anyway it will make the most sense to simply skip trying to mimic an S63 and go big. One of the reasons these motors will be so much fun to tune and will get so much attention is that with having the same basic architecture most if not all of the hardware will apply. The wildcard as always is the tuning but we expect that to be figured out especially with how much competition there will be in this sector.
    i dont mean to lay all the work on you but i dont have the time today, a lot on my plate. reread my last post on this thread, the turbos are significantly different, the number 1 difference is the way they rotate.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  15. #65
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    507
    Rep Points
    318.9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Spin "backwards."

    I presume the S63 has twin scroll housing design?

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,808
    Rep Points
    31,800.0
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
    Spin "backwards."

    I presume the S63 has twin scroll housing design?
    Yes, exactly, and this was mentioned.

    So this would be why they spin the way they do, correct?

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,892
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    yes it was mentioned but twin scroll doesnt mean spin opposite, it usually just means that it takes the exhaust pulses in a divided flange. the s63 turbos do spin opposite for whatever reason, i just hope bmw didnt make it that way to limit aftermarket options.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,808
    Rep Points
    31,800.0
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    yes it was mentioned but twin scroll doesnt mean spin opposite, it usually just means that it takes the exhaust pulses in a divided flange. the s63 turbos do spin opposite for whatever reason, i just hope bmw didnt make it that way to limit aftermarket options.
    I see, so what is the reason though?

    The N63 may be able to accommodate the turbos as long as it uses the S63 twin-scroll manifold.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,892
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I see, so what is the reason though?

    The N63 may be able to accommodate the turbos as long as it uses the S63 twin-scroll manifold.
    the reason? im not sure really. imho its BMW trying to prevent aftermarket tuning and performance options. they want to limit warranty work that is unwarranted Click here to enlarge in the case of the modder who goes back to stock for dealer help.

    the n63 will never be able to take the s63 turbos unfortunately, no engine can, unless it has the dme from it too. what i meant by the turbos spin backwards is the blades of both wheels are machined so that the wheel and shaft spin opposite (in the turbo world). which ever way the blades are facing is the way the air pushes and moves them. in the case of the s63 they engineered it to push the opposite way...

    i dont mind that you dont edit the OP, its just going to be bad when some unlucky person doesnt read this whole thread and tries to swap his n63 turbos with the s63 or whatever, its going to be more of a headache than just tuning i assure you.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,808
    Rep Points
    31,800.0
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    the n63 will never be able to take the s63 turbos unfortunately, no engine can, unless it has the dme from it too. what i meant by the turbos spin backwards is the blades of both wheels are machined so that the wheel and shaft spin opposite (in the turbo world). which ever way the blades are facing is the way the air pushes and moves them. in the case of the s63 they engineered it to push the opposite way...
    It is highly unlikely the S63 turbos will work as you stated but they can just be skipped then. Also, if someone does figure out the DME then they can be used.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i dont mind that you dont edit the OP, its just going to be bad when some unlucky person doesnt read this whole thread and tries to swap his n63 turbos with the s63 or whatever, its going to be more of a headache than just tuning i assure you.
    Well I hope they read the post and clearly see nobody is saying the S63 turbos can be used on the N63. We stated maybe that will be possible eventually but as of right now it isn't.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,892
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It is highly unlikely the S63 turbos will work as you stated but they can just be skipped then. Also, if someone does figure out the DME then they can be used.
    im just curious why you say it is highly unlikely. do the research yourself, call BMWNA or e-Mail, whatever method you choose. the blades are opposite i can bet money on that. but you're right, if somehow the dme can be transferred it may work, but when's the last time you heard of a dme swap on a modern production car?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,386
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Don't worry about it sticky his reliable source is Asr who has upgraded N63 turbos in the works. I talked to them awhile back as I grew up on 152nd st and 137th ave right by where they're at and they thought I'd be stumped by the reverse flow also but I'd already heard that so we discussed alternatives and agreed that if you were willing to redo alot of the IC piping it could be made to work but more trouble than it's worth.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,386
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    im just curious why you say it is highly unlikely. do the research yourself, call BMWNA or e-Mail, whatever method you choose. the blades are opposite i can bet money on that. but you're right, if somehow the dme can be transferred it may work, but when's the last time you heard of a dme swap on a modern production car?
    Look up UGR and MOTEC if you've got the cash and are determined to make it happen anything is easy it's just not necessary for this application.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Miami, FL.
    Posts
    1,892
    Rep Points
    771.0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    jimefan, you're right, everything you posted is true, are you still local, or in miami? i'd like to meet up if you're interested, would like a member on here to experience my car who is not a friend of mine already.

    just curious why you didnt chime in sooner to help my cause of correcting misinformation Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,386
    Rep Points
    375.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Nah I live in Atlanta now but my businesses warehouse is on 163rd and 137th so I go often. I didn't correct it because it's not misinformation, it CAN work and if I was impatient I would just buy the manifold and turbos from an S63 and I could have it working in a month for probably 6k BUT the S63 turbos ain't all that to begin with and if I'm gonna spend the $$ I'm gonna go big. If someone wants to see it though send me the 6k and by the end of august I'll have the turbos working I bet lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •