Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My laptops are strictly for portability. I know better than to want power in a laptop. To me anything over 15.6" in a laptop is too big to be considered a laptop. I currently rock a simple Dell Inspiron 15Z loaded up, a netbook with upgraded ssd, a dell xps m1330 (older now), a dell inspiron 8500 (garage beast), and a dell 600m (always in car for tuning). Desktops are where its at Click here to enlarge For what I do I couldn't get by on even the craziest laptops - they just don't have the power Click here to enlarge

What laptop did you make your Vantage run on? That wasn't that new Alienware one was it? P12,xxx in vantage is VERY slow these days unfortunately.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    My laptops are strictly for portability. I know better than to want power in a laptop.
    Heh, considering I can have more power in a laptop than 99% of the desktops out there I don't really see the issue.

To me anything over 15.6" in a laptop is too big to be considered a laptop. I currently rock a simple Dell Inspiron 15Z loaded up, a netbook with upgraded ssd, a dell xps m1330 (older now), a dell inspiron 8500 (garage beast), and a dell 600m (always in car for tuning).
    I used to think going over 15" would be too big but now that I have been using a 17 inch I don't intend to go back, and I'm going bigger. Plenty portable, battery life is over 4 hours, and I was able to check my e-mail while shaving. Can't really do that with a desktop or carry it from room to room. I just don't like the idea of sacrificing power.

Desktops are where its at For what I do I couldn't get by on even the craziest laptops - they just don't have the power
    I highly doubt that unless the government is using your PC for nuclear tests.

What laptop did you make your Vantage run on? That wasn't that new Alienware one was it? P12,xxx in vantage is VERY slow these days unfortunately.
    It's a new M17X, I have a new M18X on the way. Plenty fast compared to other laptops and even some desktops it seems. If you compare your laptops I think you will see that for yourself. I don't even need to watercool it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Right, no, I know my laptops aren't powerful - to me there's no point. My "best" laptop is just a Core i5. Thought about spending the extra couple hundred for an i7 but battery life goes down and it doesn't really require it. I use my best laptop for image storage. When I go on vacation I'll shoow 2 - 3,000 images of wild life on 18 and 21 MP cameras which average about 20 MB an image. I have about 96 GB of CF cards, but I fill them in roughly one day. So, I have to offload to my laptop which has a single 1TB disk in it. That's really all I "need" a laptop for. Today I have the laptop (typing from it now) at work because I am doing some shoots for a corporate magazine. Otherwise, I just use my Dell Mini netbook.

You'll never get the kind of power in a laptop that you can in a desktop. And, for me, I'd need an external monitor anyway (I use 8 bit monitors for photo and video editing and 1920x1080 isn't enough realestate to do it all at the same time). The government joke is ironic - I actually work for a DOD contractor. I do a lot of development for different database systems and such, so one of my main requirements is being able to run full strength virtual environments to prototype different systems I am working on. Ie., I need a fully comparable VM to replicate my Oracle environment to, and then hit it with transactions from other VMs to simulate our other servers interactions and how many requests it can handle and so on. Not only would a laptop (even the ones you're talking about) not have enough horsepower to handle that kind of crap, but there's not enough pixels to have them all up and working on each machine, and then storing the data is another issue. External doesn't work for me because I need 4+ disk RAID 0 speeds to match what our SAS RAID 10 arrays at work can do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Right, no, I know my laptops aren't powerful - to me there's no point. My "best" laptop is just a Core i5. Thought about spending the extra couple hundred for an i7 but battery life goes down and it doesn't really require it. I use my best laptop for image storage. When I go on vacation I'll shoow 2 - 3,000 images of wild life on 18 and 21 MP cameras which average about 20 MB an image. I have about 96 GB of CF cards, but I fill them in roughly one day. So, I have to offload to my laptop which has a single 1TB disk in it. That's really all I "need" a laptop for. Today I have the laptop (typing from it now) at work because I am doing some shoots for a corporate magazine. Otherwise, I just use my Dell Mini netbook.
    Well mine is a desktop replacement and does all tasks I need with power to spare. I don't really care all that much about photography personally.

You'll never get the kind of power in a laptop that you can in a desktop. And, for me, I'd need an external monitor anyway (I use 8 bit monitors for photo and video editing and 1920x1080 isn't enough realestate to do it all at the same time). The government joke is ironic - I actually work for a DOD contractor. I do a lot of development for different database systems and such, so one of my main requirements is being able to run full strength virtual environments to prototype different systems I am working on. Ie., I need a fully comparable VM to replicate my Oracle environment to, and then hit it with transactions from other VMs to simulate our other servers interactions and how many requests it can handle and so on. Not only would a laptop (even the ones you're talking about) not have enough horsepower to handle that kind of crap, but there's not enough pixels to have them all up and working on each machine, and then storing the data is another issue. External doesn't work for me because I need 4+ disk RAID 0 speeds to match what our SAS RAID 10 arrays at work can do.
    Of course you won't be able to match a desktop with a laptop but you can't take your desktop with you anywhere easily either. I hate sacrificing performance that way and I'm glad I won't have to. I can play any game out there and considering how taxing gaming is, I think this machine and my M18X coming in are going to offer more than enough power to satisfy.

I need a fair amount of real estate for what I do and 19280 x 1080 satisfies me. I have a hard time working on any res lower than that and if I really needed an external monitor I could just output 1920 x 1080 to my tv wirelessly for another screen if the need arose.

So the government requires you to have a watercooled computer? Because 3 580's in SLI is more of a benchmark/gaming rig if you ask me. I highly doubt anyone else working for the DOD or any government agency gears their computer toward 3Dmark scores.

Regardless, I haven't run across a task where my old Dell XPS laptop had trouble let alone this M17X. I have been building and using computers heavily for a long time and if this meets my needs I'm sure it would be a suitable desktop replacement for 99% of people as well. I guess your needs are just special.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I obviously didn't build my computer through my work. I built it for myself. I can come into work and remote into multiple machines and screw around with mstsc for a while, or I can work on it at home virtualized. 1920x1080 is too squished for me - not enough height. 16:10 displays are my preference for photo and video editing. Obviously playback of movies is ideal at 1920x1080, so I have monitors for that. You said earlier in this thread "I never said I wanted a slower computer" - exactly. Once you are accustomed to insanely fast computing, leading edge retail machines leave you scratching your head. Same way driving around with a ton of power in an aftermarket turbo setup leaves you feeling like a new Z06 is slow. No one requires I have my machine - my job is to get systems done and working smoothly as fast as possible. The fortunate thing is I can do that easier/faster given my machine.

I am also into photography and video as well - you wouldn't believe how much computer you need to render video out of a 5DII, let alone color correct or use filters or plugins like Twixtor. I actually render video for friends who are into tv/film because their personal machines take too long. They bring the premiere proj file over and raw footage and dump it in and we walk away for an hour or two... what would take a day or more on their machines. Premiere CS5 uses my video cards for processing - CUDA is amazing.

Most computers, laptops or otherwise, that are high end these days will play almost any game at 1920x1080. Once you get to the 2560x1600 area its tough - there are 2X as many pixels on the screen to render vs 1920x1080, even though it doesn't sound much smaller its a lot. Usually frame rate drops in half to one-third going from 1920x1080 to 2560x1600 in a current game. Again, as you were saying earlier in this thread - I've never said "Hey, I'd love to have a slower PC".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

I obviously didn't build my computer through my work. I built it for myself. I can come into work and remote into multiple machines and screw around with mstsc for a while, or I can work on it at home virtualized. 1920x1080 is too squished for me - not enough height. 16:10 displays are my preference for photo and video editing. Obviously playback of movies is ideal at 1920x1080, so I have monitors for that. You said earlier in this thread "I never said I wanted a slower computer" - exactly. Once you are accustomed to insanely fast computing, leading edge retail machines leave you scratching your head. Same way driving around with a ton of power in an aftermarket turbo setup leaves you feeling like a new Z06 is slow. No one requires I have my machine - my job is to get systems done and working smoothly as fast as possible. The fortunate thing is I can do that easier/faster given my machine.
    For maintstream use 1920x1080 is pretty much the optimum resolution right now. Games, movies, tv, etc.

Heh, an Alienware laptop with an SSD, 16 gigs of ram, an dual videocards is pretty far from regular retail. It's the cutting edge of what one can get in a laptop, I don't think I'll be left scratching my head. I've been using an M17X for a while now, I'm very impressed.

I am also into photography and video as well - you wouldn't believe how much computer you need to render video out of a 5DII, let alone color correct or use filters or plugins like Twixtor. I actually render video for friends who are into tv/film because their personal machines take too long. They bring the premiere proj file over and raw footage and dump it in and we walk away for an hour or two... what would take a day or more on their machines. Premiere CS5 uses my video cards for processing - CUDA is amazing.
    I just do basic video and photo editing, I haven't run into a lack horsepower yet for my needs.

Most computers, laptops or otherwise, that are high end these days will play almost any game at 1920x1080. Once you get to the 2560x1600 area its tough - there are 2X as many pixels on the screen to render vs 1920x1080, even though it doesn't sound much smaller its a lot. Usually frame rate drops in half to one-third going from 1920x1080 to 2560x1600 in a current game. Again, as you were saying earlier in this thread - I've never said "Hey, I'd love to have a slower PC".
    Glad I don't have to worry about 2560x1600. When I had my desktop running dual 30 inch apple cinema displays at that res it was taxing. I'm not even as into games as I once was but if I can run everything out there at 1920x1080 with 4x AA I have plenty of power to spare.

Fortunately, I will have what is basically the best mobile desktop replacement out there and from what I see using the M17X, it's going to be pretty damn fast offering the best balance of portability and power. Kind of a nice all around machine just like how BMW's are strong due to their all around ability. Unfortunately, a desktop simply can't beat the convenience and with how much power a top end laptop offers, I choose portability.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thats cool, to each their own. I just prefer the maximum power you can get and being able to upgrade stuff without buying an entire new machine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Thats cool, to each their own. I just prefer the maximum power you can get and being able to upgrade stuff without buying an entire new machine.
    Exactly, to each their own.

If you plan right you can upgrade without buying a new machine. Ivy Bridges will be compatible and the 580M's should pop right in Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yeah but 3 video cards won't fit in Click here to enlarge Neither will 4 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Yeah but 3 video cards won't fit in Click here to enlarge Neither will 4 Click here to enlarge
    This is true, but 2 in a laptop is badass in of itself.

I wonder if someone will do a tri-SLI mobility laptop... that would be amazing just to see. I forget which company it is but they use desktop processors in their laptops instead and factory overclock, I wouldn't put it above them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Heh, just did a search, tri-SLI was done in a laptop back in 2008: http://www.gadgetadvisor.com/compute...th-nvidia-gpus

Edit, I don't think they got that quite right. They say tri-SLI in the article but not all the GPU's are identical so that is a cop-out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes - even current guys who talk about triple GPUs are really cheating, counting the intel onboard, the CPU based one, and the GPU. Stuff like that.

The problem is that even if they do put three GPUs in a laptop, they won't be full pipeline full speed chips - they can't be. Not until they can somehow put 1,000 watt power supplies on the cable for the laptop lol. Can you imagine taking your laptop around work and popping breakers when you play games?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Yes - even current guys who talk about triple GPUs are really cheating, counting the intel onboard, the CPU based one, and the GPU. Stuff like that.

The problem is that even if they do put three GPUs in a laptop, they won't be full pipeline full speed chips - they can't be. Not until they can somehow put 1,000 watt power supplies on the cable for the laptop lol. Can you imagine taking your laptop around work and popping breakers when you play games?
    The mobility processors have lower power requirements but also produce less heat. Problem is they don't have as much power but definitely have nice overclocking headroom. The power supply is a good point, you should see the brick on this laptop lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yep - I have seen them. Even that huge brick is probably only dishing out a few hundred watts. To run the full-fledged cards and processors it requires like 1.0 - 1.5 kw lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Yep - I have seen them. Even that huge brick is probably only dishing out a few hundred watts. To run the full-fledged cards and processors it requires like 1.0 - 1.5 kw lol.
    Yep, that's right. For my upcoming laptop it's a 330 watt...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So when do you get this new laptop. I want to computer-drag race.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

So when do you get this new laptop. I want to computer-drag race.
    There is a thread in OT titled Alienware M17X, it has all the details.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sweet - so you gonna break the 54,000 pt mark?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Sweet - so you gonna break the 54,000 pt mark?
    Heh, no, but I'll see what it can do.

I kind of have more fun benchmarking and tweaking the computer for the benchmarks than actually playing games these days as weird as that sounds.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Same here - though when the rooms lights dim when shaders warm up, problems are on the horizon.

Run 3dMark11 on that thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Run 3dMark11 on that thing.
    I will, I'll add 3dMark11 to the standings since it will be the benchmark for longer although it will apply to less people. Hopefully more people participate in the 3dMark11 benchmarking and just benchmarking in general.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yep - 1200 watt power supply running at like 1280 watts of consumption Click here to enlarge I need to get a new one but there's nothing in the 1300 - 1500W area that's decent right now. TT released a 1350W I might look into. I actually had to move a few hard drives out of my desktop and into my server because of power demands when the video cards get going.
    Thermaltake has a 1500W version out for your needs:
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1500 Watt, ATX v2.3, 140mm
    - Intel ATX 12V 2.3 and EPS 2.91 compatible
    - Stable 1500W continuous output, peak power at 1600W (at 50? operating environment)
    - Four 8pin and four 6pin PCI-E connectors design supports multiple high-end graphic card setup
    - Support Dual core CPU, Quad core CPU, NVIDIA SLI and all Multi-Core GPU Technology
    - Four independent 12V rails provides superior performance
    (Total Combined load of 12V is 120A)
    - Modularized Cable Management to eliminate clutter and improve airflow inside the case.
    - Active Power Factor Correction (PF>0.99) and high efficiency (up to 87%).
    - Industrial grade components (capacitor, transformer, etc)
    - High reliability: MTBF>120,000 hours

The other decent brand that has anything close to what you need is InWin
    They have the InWIn Commander 1500, 1500Watt, ATX.
    But seriously man, you have a lot of PC hardware.
    Are you a flightsim player?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1500Watts? for what 4 GPUs? only to be outclassed by 1 next month? I'll pass. Click here to enlarge

Anyways, anything over dual sli is wasteful unless you're playing at like 2560x1600, which most people don't. Not to mention most games don't even provide support for anything more than two, let alone one. FPS increase at 3 and 4 GPUs are marginal.

Most native resolutions are 1920x1200/1080.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1862 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    FPS increase at 3 and 4 GPUs are marginal.
    But 3dmark loves em...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    But 3dmark loves em...
    lol, yeah, but you don't run 3dmark all day, you would play games all day Click here to enlarge and 3dmark won't compensate your wallet either Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast