Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    These engines take what, 5 wires to get them running? Getting the cluster to work can always come later..getting it to fire is always first priority Click here to enlarge
    But how do you get the trans location to fit? What about the diff and all the other parts supporting the torque? The weight of the motor over the front end? Traction control isn't going to save you either so this definitely is going to be a completely different car. I mean that in a good way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

these motors dont weigh much more than an M54 or a M62. Hes usin a BFH for trans clearance, on my car I would have cut the tunnel out and fabbed up sheetmetal to make it bigger..but you see how my mind works, and why my build went beyond $10k..JUST to get the engine running..not even to mod the engine at all.

The diff hes putting in should have no issue handling the power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    these motors dont weigh much more than an M54 or a M62. Hes usin a BFH for trans clearance, on my car I would have cut the tunnel out and fabbed up sheetmetal to make it bigger..but you see how my mind works, and why my build went beyond $10k..JUST to get the engine running..not even to mod the engine at all.

The diff hes putting in should have no issue handling the power.
    Makes me really want to do a swap in an E28...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

you wanna pay me go right ahead..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

These engines take what, 5 wires to get them running? Getting the cluster to work can always come later..getting it to fire is always first priority Click here to enlarge
    gotta love simple.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This powertrain weighs in ~ 200 lbs more than the stock stuff (based on internet weights). Keep in mind the tranny holds 14.5 quarts of fluid, and weighs ~175 dry, the iron block motors weigh in around 500 lbs. The weight is further back, so I shouldn't change weight balance much, the drivetrain won't be too bad.

Today has been a loss, went to the junkyard this morning to help kartermdb try to find a T5, and went then we did the rear brakes on my truck (had a leaky wheel cylinder and ovalled drums). Trans cross member done tomorrow, and hopefully most of my pieces cut.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bimmerdude Click here to enlarge
    This powertrain weighs in ~ 200 lbs more than the stock stuff (based on internet weights). Keep in mind the tranny holds 14.5 quarts of fluid, and weighs ~175 dry, the iron block motors weigh in around 500 lbs. The weight is further back, so I shouldn't change weight balance much, the drivetrain won't be too bad.

Today has been a loss, went to the junkyard this morning to help kartermdb try to find a T5, and went then we did the rear brakes on my truck (had a leaky wheel cylinder and ovalled drums). Trans cross member done tomorrow, and hopefully most of my pieces cut.
    Contact Milkt he is pretty good at tracking down parts
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Contact Milkt he is pretty good at tracking down parts
    Yeah, we are looking for U-pull it stuff because its cheaper. But I've spoken with him about a number of parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Didn't get as much done today as I'd hoped to (had fun last night, paid for it today Click here to enlarge).

I did however, retack the crossmember (it broke when I went to remove it). Clean it for welding, go to kartermdb's house where they have a real MIG (Millermatic 210 instead of the Lincoln 100 ampere I'm using). Its not perfect, nor are our welds (although his are better than mine), but they are strong, and I left them unground, just because, its the first thing I've really welded for my car - and I want this car to be something I do. Some pictures:

Welded up
    Click here to enlarge

Up close
    Click here to enlarge

Cleaned up for paint
    Click here to enlarge

Another angle
    Click here to enlarge

And another
    Click here to enlarge

Painted it up (in process at least)
    Click here to enlarge

And Installed
    Click here to enlarge

While I was painting I decided to start cutting the metal for the motor mounts. Someone suggested trying 7-1/4" blades on a skill saw to cut the plate, this didn't work out and I destroyed my second attempt (first attempt I used a grinder). Some more pictures (please ignore the mess)

Cutting off my huge sheet of steel
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

And the finished piece (1 of 4 for this shape)
    Click here to enlarge

The intake I bought came in as well, engine looks much better with a manifold in the V, didn't take any pics though Click here to enlarge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Didn't get as much done today as I'd hoped to (had fun last night, paid for it today Click here to enlarge).

I did however, retack the crossmember (it broke when I went to remove it). Clean it for welding, go to kartermdb's house where they have a real MIG (Millermatic 210 instead of the Lincoln 100 ampere I'm using). Its not perfect, nor are our welds (although his are better than mine), but they are strong, and I left them unground, just because, its the first thing I've really welded for my car - and I want this car to be something I do. Some pictures:

Welded up
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMAG0297.jpg

Up close
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMAG0297.jpg

Cleaned up for paint
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMAG0299.jpg

Another angle
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMAG0300.jpg

And another
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMAG0301.jpg

Painted it up (in process at least)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMAG0304.jpg

And Installed
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMAG0306.jpg

While I was painting I decided to start cutting the metal for the motor mounts. Someone suggested trying 7-1/4" blades on a skill saw to cut the plate, this didn't work out and I destroyed my second attempt (first attempt I used a grinder). Some more pictures (please ignore the mess)

Cutting off my huge sheet of steel
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMAG0302.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMAG0303.jpg

And the finished piece (1 of 4 for this shape)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...d/IMAG0305.jpg

The intake I bought came in as well, engine looks much better with a manifold in the V, didn't take any pics though Click here to enlarge.
    I do not envy all the work you have ahead of you! Nice job on the pics and details.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I do not envy all the work you have ahead of you! Nice job on the pics and details.
    Thanks, it wouldn't be something I could handle if I didn't honestly enjoy this. I wouldn't want to do it for someone else's car, but I know as long as I finish this, it will be something I'll be proud of, and something I did largely on my own (with only minimal assistance other than advice/instruction).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

yikes..200lbs more? I dont think my car would like that very well..the E28s have a good bit of their engine over the front axle, and adding more weight there doesnt help Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

yikes..200lbs more? I dont think my car would like that very well..the E28s have a good bit of their engine over the front axle, and adding more weight there doesnt help Click here to enlarge
    Next time the engine slides in (Which should be by weeks end) I'll take some pictures. The engine sits further back (V8 = 4 cylinders long) than the I6 does, so while there is more weight, to the package, its actually further back than the BMW. I have another 6-8" from the front of the motor to the radiator (just for reference).

Two other things to note:

1) If I were doing this swap with weight in mind I'd use an L33 (2005-2007 silverado extended cab 4wd only) as it has better heads, an aluminum block, and is an all around improved motor, but they cost a few hundred more, to save 80-90 lbs.
    2) My transmission is (with torque converter) roughly 40-50 lbs over the weight of a T56 with clutch and flywheel (steel, more if using aluminum flywheel) and the T56 is almost 50 lbs heavier than a T5.

I could get to within 75 lbs of stock without breaking a sweat if I used different components, but it was a $$ decision to go with the iron motor, and a purpose (drag racing / daily reliable) to go with the auto.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

true. I was intent on keeping my car a 5-speed and I would have preferred a T56, but they like to sell for Supra trans prices ($1500 and up)

My bosses idea was to get an L33 like you had mentioned, and just strap a KB to the top of it, fab up some kinda hood and off I go...but the issue with the E28s is that the engine is long, while the trans is pretty short..maybe 2.5ft long at most. A T56 would be a bit longer, but now that I think of it, my shifter was well behind the trans by about 4-5 inches, so maybe it is possible to fit one.

A T-5 is also a possible solution..Tremec upgraded of some sort..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

1) If I were doing this swap with weight in mind I'd use an L33 (2005-2007 silverado extended cab 4wd only) as it has better heads, an aluminum block, and is an all around improved motor, but they cost a few hundred more, to save 80-90 lbs.
    How does the LS7 or LS3 compare weight wise?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Al the gen III and gen IV motors are similar in weight assuming same block/head material. Both are aluminum/aluminum, and thus weigh about 85-90 lbs less than my motor. Ill take a dressed weight once I have everything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well last night took a turn for the worse as I came down with an aweful stomach virus. Next couple days I'll be out of commission, but I did get the 4 "face" plates for the motor mounts cut.

Kept losing band saw blades, so hopefully I can get some replacements soon and cut the rest of the parts (these I used a grinder for).

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Well last night took a turn for the worse as I came down with an aweful stomach virus. Next couple days I'll be out of commission, but I did get the 4 "face" plates for the motor mounts cut.

Kept losing band saw blades, so hopefully I can get some replacements soon and cut the rest of the parts (these I used a grinder for).

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...IMAG0307-1.jpg
    Sorry to hear about the virus.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Got over the illness and have been busy with the car and a thousand other little projects. Haven't been updating because I feel like to a bystander, these updates would get pretty boring. But I finished cutting the plate out for my motor mounts (here they are roughly mocked up):

Click here to enlarge

And tack welded:

Click here to enlarge

Both of them welded

Click here to enlarge

Then I test fit to make sure those holes were drilled right (fingers crossed):

Click here to enlarge

Time to pressure wash the engine bay (still needs a lot more, but its 10x cleaner than before):

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Then it was time to put the engine and tranny in, lets see how it fits....very nice. Right side:

Click here to enlarge

Left side:

Click here to enlarge

Then (didn't take pictures) I bolted the motor mount arms on, and placed the bottom plates on the rubber mounts. Actually set the engine on the tack welds (they held) and checked clearance/fitment. Looked good so I raised the motor and shimmed the bottom plates into the motor mount arms. Tacked them in place. Took them to be finish welded (all the welding on these is mine, its pretty bad in some spots, but if these break I'll be proud of my motor.

Some pictures installed (photo vomit commencing):

Click here to enlarge

Clearance from pan to rack:

Click here to enlarge

Mounts from various angles:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

And thats where I am now. Header parts start arriving tomorrow, so I'm looking forward (not) to lots more cutting and welding. I wish I could have found a good off the shelf solution, but not willing to try a dozen to find none work....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I wish I could have found a good off the shelf solution, but not willing to try a dozen to find none work....
    Aren't there off the shelf headers for the LS swap BMW's? I remember reading about somebody coming to market with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Aren't there off the shelf headers for the LS swap BMW's? I remember reading about somebody coming to market with it.
    There are for the E36, but I'm not willing to spend a grand on headers either, I'm a cheap ass. As a result, I spent $300 on materials, and will need a hair more. The plus side is, very few headers come with proper collectors:

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...teel-1020.html

These will make a real difference in scavenging effectiveness if I can actually put them together right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well, this might get cut apart and redone, but its my first attempt at a drivers side header. Equal length went out the window with #5 (1, 3, 5, 7 front to back), and I have to slightly redo it anyway as it will lightly rub the steering shaft if I don't.

Some pictures during the process, and a couple after I pulled the work in progress to tweak it some. Might have to rearrange locations.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Well, this might get cut apart and redone, but its my first attempt at a drivers side header. Equal length went out the window with #5 (1, 3, 5, 7 front to back), and I have to slightly redo it anyway as it will lightly rub the steering shaft if I don't.

Some pictures during the process, and a couple after I pulled the work in progress to tweak it some. Might have to rearrange locations.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMAG0334-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMAG0335-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMAG0336-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMAG0338-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMAG0339-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMAG0340-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMAG0341-1.jpg
    I'm amazed you are doing this all yourself, seriously blown away. That is some beautiful work right there and you are saving a ton of cash vs. trying to adapt headers for the E36.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks, the other thing I didn't note before, is the E36 being more limited, the manifolds aren't quite as good.

I remade the upper portion of the header last night, and the runners are very close to equal length now, will be trying to work the lower portion out tonight. I'll probably run out of material before I can finish mocking the passenger side up, so I'll have to move on to making something else on the car this weekend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Drivers side header is done being "made" just have to break the runners off, weld them all together, retack to flange, test fit, final weld to flange, assemble collector with merge bullet, etc.

Couple pictures:
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Best proof I have its my work (other than how bad some of it looks)
    Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast