Close

Thread: Boost leak?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Boost leak?

335xi
    Mods: Procede V5, AR catless DPs, Helix FMIC, Forge DVs, Stett Charge pipe, AE exhaust, DCI

Woke up to a nice day out, so I decided to go for a drive. Upon starting the car, I noticed a metal clicking/tapping noise coming from the area of my DPs (which are AR catless btw). Up to this point, I have had no problems or noises coming after the installation of them. I decided to go for a drive despite the noise, and after the car was warmed up, I started giving it some gas, only to find the car would only boost to 8-10psi (it almost felt like limp mode, but it wasnt). I did a few more pulls, with some giving the same results as before, hitting much lower boost levels, while other times the car would reach the boost I have it set at, 15psi, and felt much more normal. During all of this, my car threw no codes or gave any other sign that something was wrong. The metal clicking from the DP area was rather consistent the whole drive both under throttle and no throttle.

So i guess my question is, could one of my DPs have came loose or shifted slightly causing a boost leak or something else affecting the boost? Or could this problem be coming from somewhere else? I have logs of some of the runs and can post them, but I wasnt really sure how or if it would help in this case?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I don't have DPs, but hopefully someone on here can help you out.

I'd probably advise to hoist it up on a lift and make sure everything is ok down there. Maybe even reinstall the DPs? (sounds like too much work)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

DP clamp came lose or is in the way of the WG arm?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

need logs to see anything for sure

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Here is a screenshot of a log from one of the runs from yesterday..As u can see the boost never gets above 10psi, and the A/F looks way outta wack..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

rattling leads me to believe its the wastegates? Did Shiv ever fix those DIC maps? I heard they were causing a few issues with peoples cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

im not sure if he has or not. I posted all this over on e90, so hopefully he will chime in over there at some point and give his $0.02. Will the wastegate rattle under no throttle as mine will rattle simply sitting in park?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    rattling leads me to believe its the wastegates? Did Shiv ever fix those DIC maps? I heard they were causing a few issues with peoples cars.
    What type of issues and how do the DIC maps differ?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

whoa your AFR is all over the place, 18:1? thats crazy lean, better figure out whats going on there.

If your wastegate duty cycle is very high and your boost is low then that is signs of a boost leak, how much of a leak depends on what you would normally see WG duty cycle at boost versus what you see now at 10 psi.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

ever get an answer from your tuner yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

negative lol.. i got the car up on a lift and the rattle was one of the DPs touching the subframe slightly..must have shifted a little over the past couple months since i never heard it before (or some of the massive potholes around here could have caused it when it when thru it Click here to enlarge ) i reset my adaptations on the procede tho and that appears to have fixed the boost lvl issue. I may go back to an older map with the autotuning enabled if it happens again to see if its the latest maps i uploaded.. gonna do a couple pulls and log them to see if the AFR is still lean.. ill post it up later

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

good deal, let us know how things go

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

did a few pulls with the latest 3-30 maps with boost set to 15psi and then did a few runs with the old firmware and maps that still incorporated the autotune feature set with psi at 13.5. Car feels like its running great, but as you'll see in both logs the AFR is still lean..any ideas what could cause this? or if the procede simply targets these kind of levels?

3-30 Maps, no autotune 15psi target
    Click here to enlarge

12-17 Maps, w/ autotune 13.5psi target
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

you might need a new O2 sensor, that or the V5 is screwing up the reading

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    ever get an answer from your tuner yet?
    I don't understand Vishnu's support. I would be right on top of anyone posting anything about me that I should be taking care of.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

AFRs are dangerously high
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Turn your code clearing off on your v5 I bet your gettin codes... Your 02's might be shot
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

thats what i thought too, only getting codes for my catless exhaust tho..Ill recheck tho

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

still no codes thrown. Though i did get my first abnormal crank today starting the car Click here to enlarge after the dealer replaced my fuel pump (which hadnt failed yet at 45kmiles), did a software update, and new injectors a few days ago. Hopefully it wont happen again. somebody on e90post suggested i was logging the wrong variables. DId a few pulls this morning with a couple new variables that i think may be the actual AFR ratios. Im still not sure if they are the correct ones since nobody from Vishnu has chimed in yet, but they do look much more reasonable

heres the new log, I kept both the CAN afr and the AFR to compare
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

AFR is still way tooo high, thats what i was at @20 psi and racefuel/meth on a DJ dyno. the V5 camp doesnt know because they dont know. im betting its o2 sensors though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AFR is still way tooo high, thats what i was at @20 psi and racefuel/meth on a DJ dyno. the V5 camp doesnt know because they dont know. im betting its o2 sensors though
    +1
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

LM,
    are u referring to the AFR reading at 14 or the CAN Actual AFR Bank 1 & 2 at 11.3? (bank 2 is graphed with bank 1, its just hard to see) I wish somebody on e90post that made this piggyback would respond and give me any kind of feedback, kinda sad it hasn't happened yet considering i posted the first log 3 days ago..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blankstar43 Click here to enlarge
    LM,
    are u referring to the AFR reading at 14 or the CAN Actual AFR Bank 1 & 2 at 11.3? (bank 2 is graphed with bank 1, its just hard to see) I wish somebody on e90post that made this piggyback would respond and give me any kind of feedback, kinda sad it hasn't happened yet considering i posted the first log 3 days ago..

damn, i missed that. no, that looks good actually. i stand corrected, i beloieve thats the variable you need to log, so it all looks well according to that. but i wonder what the ratio is for then?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

lol apparently to mislead unknowing users like me