Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sparky66 Click here to enlarge
    Should have listened to some advise from people who have been there.
    JB4 won't help you at your altitude. Timing control is the key word.
    It would be interesting to see if the Cobb would make a difference at altitude. Only 1 way to find out but from timing influence shown so far with CPS offsetting (which isn't as precise or as good as through a flash like Cobb) has shown basically no gain.

Nothing is going to change his air density.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Maybe you should ask Terry for a cps module and test it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Too early to write it off yet .. comparing a tune-only Cobb car, against my tune-only JB4 will be a good indicator.

I'm also thinking about a dyno session soon, maybe I'll also do that along side the Cobb car, too. Same dyno, same day ..
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Nah that is bogus information by a nice but biased individual. He put out 340rw using JB4 map 1 with older firmware and the dyno showed no hint of knock. He's just caught up on the cylinder 1 timing dip = knock thing which is incorrect.

Map 5 does have a tendency to be overly conservative at high elevation / low octane as programmed but "bigup's" logs looked fine. If he's interested though we have 250 CPS modules on the way he can help test. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 04-27-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just updated my JB4 firmware & software .. CANFlap is a really nice touch. Not going out on the road tonight though .. hard day in the office and just chilling out with a beer. I'll see how it goes on my morning commute!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regarding Q about all BMW's feeling laggy...
    My 2006 330xi had one of the most responsive throttles I've experienced. Torque didn't really get fun until about 4500 rpm, but it was still strong below that value. Torque was strong until redline.
    My 2009 335xi doesn't have the throttle response off boost, but all the available torque is available from 2000 to about 5500 rpm where it starts to drop off. Not much point shifting later than 6k IMO.

I'm in Edmonton (2200 ft above sea level) and spend a fair bit of time driving in Calgary (3400 ft) and have not noticed a difference in drivability or available power. This may just show how dull my butt dyno is, but I don't think it makes that big a difference. Certainly not enough to make a 335 feel gutless below 3k.

Dan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did the JB4 firmware update last night (0422), and played a bit more after work today .. car does feel like it has some power now. From a stop, I revved to just 2,000 RPM, dropped the clutch nice and easy, and the car spun all the way through first, and through most of second. It was seriously moving once it gained traction!

This is probably a combination of me playing with the low RPM Map 6 settings, the firmware update, and time for the car to adapt fully to the JB4.

Starting to feel much happier about this now.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    From a stop, I revved to just 2,000 RPM, dropped the clutch nice and easy, and the car spun all the way through first, and through most of second. It was seriously moving once it gained traction!
    Heard it snowed in Calgary yesterday. Tell me this was on dry pavement!

jk! Click here to enlarge
    Glad to hear things are working like they can.

Dan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GTR-Dad Click here to enlarge
    Heard it snowed in Calgary yesterday. Tell me this was on dry pavement!
    Yup .. roads were wet in the morning, but by the time I drove home, they were dry.

Today, they are wet again, and it's snowing.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm curious to see how you got the USB into the cabin.
    Willing to offer any help/advice to a fellow Calgarian?
    How have you liked the JB4 over the past year?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Here is a DIY on the usb routing: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6557
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Here is a DIY on the usb routing: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6557
    Terry, any idea if the same works on the 535i? The DME box looks a bit different and I decided not to risk removing the DME without knowing for sure that the path through the DME box and firewall was there just as in the 335i.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

No, the 535 is different, but there is a writeup for it on n54tech. My advice though is to just leave it in the engine bay and run it in the door jamb when needed. Much easier. And unless you are a tuner likely will only pull the cable out for the odd firmware update, log, etc.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks. I'll just leave it under the cowl then. Besides, I just updated to the latest firmware and I can get the cowl off in under a minute at this point. Just have to pick up a USB extension.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12