Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

JB4 install & first impressions

I installed the JB4 & USB cable late this afternoon -- it seemed fairly straight forward, and took me about 1.5 hours from the time I disconnected the battery, to leaving my garage for a test drive.

The only mishaps were that I broke a couple of the tiny plastic tabs that hold in the sub-connectors, but that doesn't seem to be of any great concern. Also the JB4 power cable didn't connect with great assertiveness, and I wish in hindsight that I used a bit of electrical tape to ensure it doesn't disconnect.

Carnage in the engine bay
    Click here to enlarge

The USB cable was a little difficult for me to route at first .. but as I eventually dismantled more and more of the ECU compartment, it became easy. I had to employ my trouble light to help me find the USB cable as it entered the cabin.

Trouble light helping to discover USB cable
    Click here to enlarge

After I put the ECU back together, I reconnected the battery and fired up the car. Started first time, no problems .. other than I had to reset the clock.

One of the small shortcomings from BMS, is that it's not obvious at first where to download the latest PC software; I link on the BMS website to a download/firmware page would be welcome. As would a small user guide; as much as I love forums, I hate jumping from thread to thread to get info on map settings / steering wheel controls /etc.

So on to the test drive; I had about 1 hour playing with the car in mixed environments. I filled up earlier on a full tank of 94 octane. Initially on map 1, I felt a definite improvement over stock; but perhaps not as great as I was expecting. It's hard to describe really .. yes, it's faster; but it doesn't exactly blow me away if I'm honest.

Using the steering wheel controls, I later moved it up to the auto tune (map 5) and gave it some time to adapt. It felt pretty much the same as map 1. I need to do some proper logging.. I glanced over to the laptop a couple of times, and the PSI (after about 30 mins on map 5) was in the high 12's / low 13's, so probably consistent with map 1.

One thing I did notice, was a kind of boomy drone that occurs under heavy load in the higher RPM range .. never had that stock. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

So there you have it .. JB4 in... I'll update once I've had a bit more driving time. I want to love it, but I'm not really feeling it 100% at the moment.

My reward for not botching the install: A 24 pack of Germany's finest
    Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad you got it installed! Just throw option 2/1 on so you can monitor boost in dash. Much easier than dealing with a laptop.

For the firmware, etc, there is a link to the single source in the JB4 order page: http://www.burgertuning.com/jb4_pnp_...nce_tuner.html

"Click here for the latest JB4 firmware, map guide, and details."

That points you here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605

We post all firmware, updates, notes, etc in that one post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks Click here to enlarge I knew there was boost gauge option somewhere, but couldn't remember the menus to enable it.. hopefully I'll have a chance to get out again tomorrow and do some logging on map 5 .. it wasn't really the best time this evening, too much traffic .. everybody doing the frantic Easter thing, it would appear.

The car does feel good, I'm just looking for that X-factor. Probably won't find it until I win the lottery and buy a fast exotic!

I'm wondering if it's an issue with my car in general, or if it's an altitude thing, but both stock, and with the JB4, it never really comes alive until 3,000 rpm .. feels quite gutless below. Hoping the logs tell a story!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Map 5 is going to be a little meh at high elevation. It's overly conservative at times. Map 1 is the best bet. Or a custom map 6 with a lot more boost down low. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gratz man, nice write up. Hopefully I'll be ordering my JB4 w/DCI pretty soon.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry,

Which map should I do the logging on? 5? And what kind of thing are you looking for .. lots of WOT pulls presumably. I know of a nice straight road outside the city that *never* has traffic. Obviously I wont be breaking any laws (!), but it would allow me to speed up / slow down without annoying other drivers.

Also, does anybody know the part number for those plastic DME connector housings? I'd rather not leave any evidence of tampering in the engine bay. I can't believe I didn't see those little tabs until it was too late. D'oh!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I normally look at 2-7k logs in 3rd gear. Check with getbmwparts.com they may have those part numbers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm .. I think I found the part, it's only a few dollars .. but they want $35 minimum shipping to Canada! Might as well see if they have anything else I want before purchasing.

Edit .. This is the part I need, but doesn't seem to have a part number?
    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by bigup; 04-23-2011 at 04:03 PM.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Are you sure that isn't the part number where the arrow is?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    disconnect the battery? Is it that much different than installing the JB3?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    Hmm .. I think I found the part, it's only a few dollars .. but they want $35 minimum shipping to Canada! Might as well see if they have anything else I want before purchasing.

Edit .. This is the part I need, but doesn't seem to have a part number?
    Click here to enlarge
    ugh. I remember dealing with those things. It took me too long to figure out how to open them without going for a hammer. Good thing I finally got it without smashing them to bits

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just had a play on custom map 6, and increased the PSI slightly at low RPM as per Terry. Certainly makes a difference, but my car still lags like crazy under 3,000 rpm.

It's funny, I'll accelerate from a standstill at WOT .. (gentle launch), no wheel spin .. then bam! At 3,000rpm they spin like crazy. I need to get these winter tires off .. they suck

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Are you sure that isn't the part number where the arrow is?
    Nothing comes up in the search for that #

edit: Do you think it makes sense that the part I need is #3 on this page:
    http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...ssembly=247645

Maybe I'll order it anyway .. see what happens.

Double Edit: Bingo! Yes, that is the part, as seen in this pic.
    http://www.ecstuning.com/ES35194/ES31657/Notify/

ecstuning is out of stock, and bmw of south atlanta wants a 100$ min order. Maybe I'll order some accessories. Pic below of the tabs that broke..

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    disconnect the battery? Is it that much different than installing the JB3?
    I disconnected it because I wasn't patient enough to wait 10 minutes for the car to go to sleep Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bigup; 04-25-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

I disconnected it because I wasn't patient enough to wait 10 minutes for the car to go to sleep Click here to enlarge
    Oh, yea. I forgot about that. 10 minutes closer to beer time Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OK - I've ordered 2 large subconnector housings, and 2 small subconnector housings (in case I break them again .. LOL) .. and a Sunshade for my front windshield to make the expensive shipping worthwhile, from getbmwparts.com.

Cheers for help!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm .. put some Shell V-Power 91 in today, and now my car feels almost as slow as stock .. I actually had to check that I was not running map 0!

I need a new car. The lag is killing me.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I 've been looking for the partnumbers of those connectors but could not find them anywhere at realOEM.com.
    Thanks a lot!
    I broke one knotch of the small connector too when I put the connector together again for the 8th time that day. I was getting impatient...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm .. put some Shell V-Power 91 in today, and now my car feels almost as slow as stock .. I actually had to check that I was not running map 0!

I need a new car. The lag is killing me.
    Post a log on map2 or 5?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    anyone wanna explain the proper way to disconnect/connect them for future refence?

And do all Bimmers lag? My wifes 328 has no get up and go. It makes city driving dangerous sometimes. I thought it was just from her not having a more performance driven model. I was gonna get her a BMS chip just so it moves when you step on the gas instead of 5 seconds later.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Part numbers for future reference are:

Large sub-connector housing: 12527521517
    Small sub-connector housing: 12527521522

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Potential_535 Click here to enlarge
    anyone wanna explain the proper way to disconnect/connect them for future refence?
    I think probably a small flat-head screwdriver gently pushed on the little tab will be enough to release the connectors. They are so weak .. didn't take much to break them. That's why I ordered extra!

And do all Bimmers lag? My wifes 328 has no get up and go. It makes city driving dangerous sometimes. I thought it was just from her not having a more performance driven model. I was gonna get her a BMS chip just so it moves when you step on the gas instead of 5 seconds later.
    No idea on that one .. my 335i is the first BMW I've ever driven. If I'm not super-impressed with a JB4'd 335i, I can't begin to imagine what a 328 is like.

My car always seems to have a delayed reaction when getting on the gas.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Post a log on map2 or 5?
    Is map 2 wise for me? I'm otherwise stock with BMS drop-in.

I do have a limited map 5 log .. this was taken after about 30 minutes of driving:
    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by bigup; 04-26-2011 at 01:07 PM.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Likely, your altitude has an affect. I'm pretty much at sea level and JB+ on my 335i had all the torque and hp down before I even got to 2000 rpms. FI cars run much differently at different altitudes. Remember, the air being forced into your manifold is not the same density as the air being forced into my manifold.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
    Likely, your altitude has an affect. I'm pretty much at sea level and JB+ on my 335i had all the torque and hp down before I even got to 2000 rpms. FI cars run much differently at different altitudes. Remember, the air being forced into your manifold is not the same density as the air being forced into my manifold.
    Yeah I was hoping that I was not high enough up for it to make too much of a difference .. guess I need to move .. or start digging Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Calgary is 3/4's of a mile above sea level. Of course it's going to make a difference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Potential_535 Click here to enlarge

All bimmers do not but you can get a sprint booster setup or a tune to improve throttle response.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've found somebody in Calgary who is getting a Cobb AP installed this weekend... I will be able to compare my JB4; to see if it's me, or my car that is being slow (all inside the limits of the ... law .. of course!)
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Should have listened to some advise from people who have been there.
    JB4 won't help you at your altitude. Timing control is the key word.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sparky66 Click here to enlarge
    Money yes but tuning at altitude?......... I don't think so! For the OP, the right answer is Cobb.
    A tune that can't affect any timing control will drop boost and target higher retard in timing after adaption, at high altitude.
    Case in point :http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510693

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast