Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

SC Boost Gauges - Vacuum Needed?

So i'm looking at gauges to go with an upcoming s52 Twinscrew build, and am wondering if anyone thinks it's still good to have the vacuum portion at the beginning or is that a problem in search of a solution with an SC like the twinscrew?

Reason i ask is i wonder if it might be useful in diagnosing things like lowered boost as a result of, say, adding headers or whatnot?

The vacuum-inclusive ones are more crowded whereas the boost-only gauges leave all the travel for boost so you can get more precise readings, so i'm torn between the -30h-to-35psi ones or the nice, spacious 0-to-15psi ones.

What think, tuners?
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes I have a vdo unit that read upto 15psi
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You will want something probably like the 15 psi gauge you mentioned.

I don't know how useful the vacuum portion will be for you.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow GG, $#@!ing awesome post, man Click here to enlarge (thank you too Sticky..)

I figured as much, just double-checking with y'all.

I like the look of the VDO's the best but wanna try to keep a consistent appearance and they don't make air/fuel gauges or water/meth flow meters, both of which i think might be good to have. I could run a VDO setup in the sunglass box with oil pressure, oil temp and boost, then stash the air/fuel and meth flow gauges somewhere else but i think they deserve more prominence and that i can do without the oil stuff. I really don't want mouse-ears or pillar-mounts if i can avoid it.

So, so far it's looking like Boost, Meth Flow and Air/Fuel in the sunglass box and the oil pressure and temp elsewhere if i even want them. Nice to have but seems like the aforementioned gauges are the most relevant to in-the-moment decisions and default actions.

Innovate, who apparently make great air/fuel monitors, don't make meth flow meters so i'm left with AEM if i want a matched set of all 3 in the console. The Innovate stuff looks pretty classy, tho. Trying to figure if i could just get by with a warning light of some sort for the meth system since the needle seems to mostly just bang on and off on the gauges and their main function seems to be more in the failsafe system itself with its programmed functions. Then i could run an Innovate G2 trio in the console with Boost, Oil Pressure and Air/Fuel Ratio, all represented by nice classic analogue gauges.

It's cool researching these gauges cuz i'm having to learn about the systems behind them in order to properly priortise their locations (eyeing the stereo's DIN slot with interest, hehe..)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Okayyy for anyone following this, just got off the phone with Viral at Active and they're gonna give my warning light idea a try on the meth system, which we agreed needed some kinda way to signal the driver when it's straining but given the typical on-off motion of the needles on injection monitor gauges, we figured an LED or two could give adequate signaling and Active's new (AEM-based) meth kit should be amenable to the mod.

SO the lineup now is Boost, AFR and Oil Pressure in the sunglass area and i feel pretty good about it. Time will tell if more metrics need to be monitored but for now i wanna keep it simple. Now just gotta choose my brand and the ditching the injector gauge gives me more options. I'm stoked!
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by susan28 Click here to enlarge
    just got off the phone with Viral at Active and they're gonna give my warning light idea a try on the meth system, which we agreed needed some kinda way to signal the driver when it's straining but given the typical on-off motion of the needles on injection monitor gauges, we figured an LED or two could give adequate signaling and Active's new (AEM-based) meth kit should be amenable to the mod.
    Excellent idea.

Did not realize you would be running meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Excellent idea.

Did not realize you would be running meth.
    Ya, nobody thinks they'll grow up to be a meth-head, ya just kinda fall into it Click here to enlarge

I realised i needed it after driving Chris's car and him giving it major thumbs up. And the thing did seem to have that feeling of staying in the sweet spot that your car gets right on the cusp of being warmed up (you know what i mean), even in Florida. So yeah, i'll be running it, and since it's intertwined with gauge choice and since it'a cheaper to do gauge stuff while the engine's already out, that justifies doing the meth now (Good aren't i? Hehe..).

Grrr, just realised i posted the info on today's phonecall to this thread instead of the "Gauge Choice" one i started earlier to pick up where this one left off. Ah well.

And i will definitely give FAS a shout as you suggested over there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Meth is a good idea to run simply as a safety nut. Just don't use it a fuel source and you should be cool (get the pun?) even if it fails.