Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dings, scratches and other anomolies that seemingly appear out of nowhere

This is not really a detail thread, but probably the closest match.

I'm quite anal about my car, I clean it every week, and know about every little imperfection that exists.

Yesterday for example, as I approached my car as the sun was shining on it, and saw a a spot glimmering on my window belt molding(?) .. and upon closer inspection there was a deep scratch from top to bottom (about 3/4") .. it's nowhere near my door handle, and there is no way another car could have caused it. The paint below is undamaged, and the window is undamaged. Where did it come from? It almost looks like somebody sliced it with an exacto knife.

Also by my rear side window, the body panel immediately below appears to have some short ripples .. it's not a ding - you can't feel it, there is no paint damage .. and you can only see it from certain angles, from more than 2' away. The part of the panel in question faces upward, so another car could not have hit it.

It almost looks like the ripples left behind after PDR work has been done; but if my car had damage fixed before I purchased it, surely I would have noticed in a year of ownership? I'm also wondering if it's some kind of metal stress caused by body flex or the extreme cold temps we get here .. but it's only on one side.

I park in a garage overnight, and at work I currently park between two old vehicles that have not moved in months. Anywhere else I park, I'm very picky about, and is usually for very short periods.

I don't have actual photos .. just one to demonstrate the location. The scratch is on the driver's side, and the other weirdness is on the passenger side.

Click here to enlarge

Edit - -D'oh at typo in thread title.. LOL
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nobody? LOL

When I was at the BMW dealership the other day, I actually noticed similar ripples on an AW E92 coupe they had in the showroom. Maybe it's just something from the machining process? You really do have to look for it .. so maybe that's why nobody else is complaining?

Still curious about the exacto knife cut though.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Bump, I can't help but detailedimage might be able to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Meh .. I just think it's BMW's manufacturing process; orange peel, obnoxious panel gaps .. and ripples on the panels.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    Meh .. I just think it's BMW's manufacturing process; orange peel, obnoxious panel gaps .. and ripples on the panels.
    Orange peel is definitely an issue but don't know of any major panel or molding issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Orange peel is definitely an issue but don't know of any major panel or molding issues.
    The gaps between my hood and fenders are so wide, that if my car had existed in 1942, soldiers might have used them as trenches!

I walk past Lexus vehicles here at work every day .. and their panels seem so tight and flush, and nowhere near as much orange peel. Unfortunately they all drive like big fat pigs, except for the IS-F, which just looks like a big fat pig.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

That trim scratches easier than Styrofoam, man. You just have to acknowledge that it will get scratched up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

If you have any women coming in and out of the car, insure they use the door handle to open and close the doors. Nails are surprisingly good culprits of those type of scratches.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    If you have any women coming in and out of the car, insure they use the door handle to open and close the doors. Nails are surprisingly good culprits of those type of scratches.
    Might have been my daughter .. she's only 9, but has already perfected the ancient female art of sharp, and well decorated fingernails. And she opens my door, since it's a coupe and she sits in the back!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Just remember, it is a car, and we do drive it on the road, so things will happen Click here to enlarge