Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Kool thanks
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I wouldn't want to be running a mixed bias/radial setup with a trap of 130-140..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't want to be running a mixed bias/radial setup with a trap of 130-140..
    Not when you don't have to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    haha.. yeah, this is the truth. I've got 10+ years both bracket and index racing but if anyone saw me at Las Vegas they sure wouldn't have known lol.. I missed having my line lock for burn outs too haha.. I only got three passes in. My first pass I basically stood on the two step and side stepped the clutch. The plan was to simply let the tires do the slipping to remove the shock from the drive train. I found that the car had way to much lag for this to work. It pretty much just bogged and my 60' was in the 2.4 range. I don't really want to use anti-lag and the two-step didn't seem to build any usable boost. Even with what I felt was adequate launch RPM, every single pass I made I had significant wheel hop.

I'm still planning on taking the car down the 1/4 mile, but I believe my days of trying to launch hard are done until I can find a suitable way to control wheel hop. There have been way to many people breaking things in these cars and I'm not really wanting to R&D this with no sponsor ha! One thing is certain though, these HPF cars pull on the big end like nothing I have ever seen. By the time you hit the 1/8 mile the car literally feels like it has solid rocket boosters. I imagine that is why the HPF cars are trapping so high. I'm registered for the Texas Mile so we shall see soon enough.
    It's an issue of sidewall height and stiffness, which affects the resonant frequency of the "suspension". Most people ignore the tire being part of the suspension in this case.

What you want to look at is the "natural frequency" of your rear spring when coupled to the tire combination. (You can test this on a 7 post shaker rig if you've got the $$) Normally, the damper will be able to absorb this...but with a stiffer suspension and reduced damper travel, most "low" quality dampers have very little control over this. Most dampers don't have the sensitivity or the valving to control small movements (movement under 1") so the resonance goes undamped. That's why a lot of lowered cars feel "harsh".

If you can get your hands on a good damper set like Motons, I'm certain you'll see a huge difference in wheel hop. For the record, I had ZERO wheel hop on the 330Ci with Motons running 18" wheels/tires.

Putting a tire with a taller/softer sidewall will "hide" your damping problem, but it's still there.

They broke their OS Giken diff on the last pass at MFest.. HPF isn't immune to the BMW IRS.. I don't have the ability to get parts at cost or have a full shop behind me to fix broken stuff.
    I would be very interested in finding out what the failure was, as it may not have anything to do with the diff itself. The pinion could have shed a tooth, and output flange could have sheered, or an output shaft could have broke internally giving the impression that the diff failed. If it was indeed the diff....I would be very curious why. I have far more "serious" passes on a "smaller" diff (188 versus 210 housing) without any direct failure of the diff itself. (Just checked my run log, and I ran 75 passed on it in 2009 with a "mean" short time of 1.8068.)
    Last edited by PEI330Ci; 04-28-2011 at 07:10 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    It's an issue of sidewall height and stiffness, which affects the resonant frequency of the "suspension".
    I agree on all the points you made.. but the money spent on axles, solid bushings, Motons, etc.. Might as well just put a solid axle in and be done with it. In the long run it would be 10X cheaper. Even then, I don't think the M3 transmission is geared properly for 1/4 mile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

I agree on all the points you made.. but the money spent on axles, solid bushings, Motons, etc.. Might as well just put a solid axle in and be done with it. In the long run it would be 10X cheaper. Even then, I don't think the M3 transmission is geared properly for 1/4 mile.
    And I agree with you.

I actually bought a 4 link / GM solid axle w/spool for the 330Ci...but I'm having second thoughts on using it, because I like the BMW IRS. (I know..sounds odd)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

excuse me but why you bought an M3 ? there are much better options for if you are interested in performance.
    with the solid axle in back the track abilities of the car will be ruined.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    It's an issue of sidewall height and stiffness, which affects the resonant frequency of the "suspension". Most people ignore the tire being part of the suspension in this case.
    Thats a key one right there...stiff sidewalls are killers... like i said on the last page...there is no "give"

Ive seen more people break $#@! on a drag radial then they have on a full out slick.... You dont get wheel hop with slicks...

And back to the mixing tires part, like i said i know quite a few people who do it and have no issues.... yes it is not recommended but doesnt mean it cant be done with success... i mean they say you shouldnt run slicks with stock studs, but that doesnt stop a ton of people from doing it... same goes for not having a cage and going faster than 135 or 11.49....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

With your turbo and rev limiter, it sucks.. but i think a properly sized turbo + wheel size and it can be done..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    excuse me but why you bought an M3 ? there are much better options for if you are interested in performance.
    Dudes he put a full cage in a bright green show car convertible. Obviously dude is not concerned with rationale.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

What do you feel the gearing should be or how would you like it changed?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Why did any of us buy BMW's? There are much better options vs. any BMW really. Would be boring if we all drove Mustangs, we tune and modify what we do because we like to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Why did any of us buy BMW's? There are much better options vs. any BMW really. Would be boring if we all drove Mustangs, we tune and modify what we do because we like to.
    It's not tuning anymore, it's way beyond that, it's transforming.
    M3 wasn't supposed to be a drag car, it was supposed to be a sports car with track (it comes first) and good performance (second).
    putting solid axle in it and try to sacrifice all the abilities just for performance, that doesn't sound logical to me. it's exactly like trying turning a H1 into a luxury limo.
    There are much better options vs. any BMW really
    it really depends on what you expect from your car,
    performance ? forget BMW
    Quality ? not the best.
    Handling ? No.
    Equipment ? huh
    but when you put all these together a car like BMW really shines.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

It's not tuning anymore, it's way beyond that, it's transforming.
    M3 wasn't supposed to be a drag car, it was supposed to be a sports car with track (it comes first) and good performance (second).
    putting solid axle in it and try to sacrifice all the abilities just for performance, that doesn't sound logical to me. it's exactly like trying turning a H1 into a luxury limo.
    Nobody is putting a solid rear axle in. He simply stated the ideal setup to maximize the power at the strip.

it really depends on what you expect from your car,
    performance ? forget BMW
    Quality ? not the best.
    Handling ? No.
    Equipment ? huh
    but when you put all these together a car like BMW really shines.
    That's the point, BMW's have all around strength. They can be very strong at the drag strip, the problem is few owners actually drag race or try.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

There are other IRS cars that have hit incredible times without completely destroying the rear end. Its alot of trial/error and obviously seat time. You can't just hand the keys to someone with 800rwhp and a street car setup , throw drag radials on it and expect 10's by mashing the pedal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
    There are other IRS cars that have hit incredible times without completely destroying the rear end. Its alot of trial/error and obviously seat time. You can't just hand the keys to someone with 800rwhp and a street car setup , throw drag radials on it and expect 10's by mashing the pedal.
    Kind of sad we are expecting 10's out of these setups. The cars should be DEEP into the 9's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

More non-hpf seem to care. Lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you feel the gearing should be or how would you like it changed?
    The gearing on the E46 M3:

1- 4.23
    2- 2.53
    3- 1.67
    4- 1.23
    5- 1.00
    6- .83

The gearing on a TH400 is:

1- 2.48
    2- 1.48
    3- 1.10

Obviously 1st gear in the M3 is a total waste of time and most likely the sole reason why these cars are not running the times people would expect 700+ HP cars to run. Maybe someone should try launching in second gear with a 4.10 R&P. Simply put though, these cars will never make great drag cars with that gearing. They may however do well in the Texas mile.

Want to drag race a E46 M3.. live axle and TH400. For me.. I'm going to toy around with the 1/4 mile.. but focus on the Texas mile and road courses.
    Last edited by ccsykes; 04-30-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Obviously 1st gear in the M3 is a total waste of time and most likely the sole reason why these cars are not running the times people would expect 700+ HP cars to run. Maybe someone should try launching in second gear
    with a 4.10 R&P.
    Why not just go with a much longer ratio instead of shorter?

I'm actually planning on doing that...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Here's a Stage 4 vs gearing with stock size wheels and tires....

Click here to enlarge

Like i said a few months ago when i made this, if these cars would rev another 1000+ rpm it would be a $#@! ton better!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I agree regarding first gear. Even a stock m3, the first gear is pretty useless. I also was thinking 4.10s and a second gear launch could be the trick to getting 10s.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234