Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Good stuff, thought I would post their image with the details here:
    Until someone addresses the IRS and how it cambers under load, or solves the consistent wheel hop problem.. it's really a moot point to be talking about clutches.

I'm still convinced the E46 M3 will need a live axle and auto for drag racing. The BMW engineers built this car for the road course and it doesn't seem to be taking kind to drag racing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    I'm still planning on taking the car down the 1/4 mile, but I believe my days of trying to launch hard are done until I can find a suitable way to control wheel hop.
    It sucks you were getting so much wheel hop. Why does HPF's own car not seem to have this issue?

To eliminate it you might have to make some sacrifices to the all around ability.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Until someone addresses the IRS and how it cambers under load, or solves the consistent wheel hop problem.. it's really a moot point to be talking about clutches.

I'm still convinced the E46 M3 will need a live axle and auto for drag racing. The BMW engineers built this car for the road course and it doesn't seem to be taking kind to drag racing.
    Didn't see this before I made my previous post.

The E92 seems to get by just fine on the strip though...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You want to eliminate wheel hop?

Put SLICKS on the car...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    I actually tried it with a nitrous solenoid, and it worked like crap. Initially the idea was to use the solenoid to engage the clutch simultaneously releasing the line-lock....then I thought about pulsing. What happened was that the brake fluid ate the seals in the solenoid....

Here's one of the most cutting edge drag racing specific clutches available right now:

http://www.leandersclutch.com/
    Yeah centrifugal fingers. Thats rail car $#@! though. Adam - the secret to the solenoid is that you need air pressure Click here to enlarge Or CO2 Click here to enlarge We had it pretty well laid out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Drag radials have a stiff sidewall, atleast the radials you guys are using are... if anything you should be running the Bias Ply M&H cheater slicks...those $#@!ers hook, and are pretty much a "slick" with some lines in it to call it a street tire...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
    Drag radials have a stiff sidewall, atleast the radials you guys are using are... if anything you should be running the Bias Ply M&H cheater slicks...those $#@!ers hook, and are pretty much a "slick" with some lines in it to call it a street tire...
    Find me a bias ply front runner that will work with the E46 M3 and I'll give slicks a shot. I'm not going to make the mistake of mixing bias ply with radials though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ive never had any problems mixing tires.... Regular street tires up front, slicks in the back never had issues....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Find me a bias ply front runner that will work with the E46 M3 and I'll give slicks a shot. I'm not going to make the mistake of mixing bias ply with radials though.
    thats only for regular or X driving, makes no difference in Dragracing since your goal is to go perfectly straight, not into the wall of course

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ive never had any problems mixing tires.... Regular street tires up front, slicks in the back never had issues....
    The last HPF car to mix tires went into the wall.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    MT has a 17 front bias-ply. What I intend to run...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    thats only for regular or X driving, makes no difference in Dragracing since your goal is to go perfectly straight, not into the wall of course
    No LM you are wrong, it makes a huge difference especially in drag racing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The last HPF car to mix tires went into the wall.
    Lack of experience

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No LM you are wrong, it makes a huge difference especially in drag racing.
    It makes much less of a difference @ the drag strip tho.... It really isnt that bad... i see supras all the time running regular street tires up front with slicks in the rear.. same with some vettes/vipers ive seen... They dont have issues... Ive done it and I dont have issues

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lack of experience
    Yes, as in not knowing you shouldn't mix bias-ply and radial, period.

You run a FWD car maybe you have had some different experience but you don't mix them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It makes much less of a difference @ the drag strip tho.... It really isnt that bad... i see supras all the time running regular street tires up front with slicks in the rear.. same with some vettes/vipers ive seen... They dont have issues... Ive done it and I dont have issues
    I think it is important especially at the drag strip since even slight instability can put you in the wall.

People have done it and also had issues. All tire manufacturers recommend not doing it. It is basically an old drag racing adage, you don't mix them. Just because you got away with it doesn't mean everyone else will, like the poor HPF guy that his car into the wall.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think it is important especially at the drag strip since even slight instability can put you in the wall.

People have done it and also had issues. All tire manufacturers recommend not doing it. It is basically an old drag racing adage, you don't mix them. Just because you got away with it doesn't mean everyone else will, like the poor HPF guy that his car into the wall.
    can you explain why we shouldn't mix it ? what's the reason behind that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    can you explain why we shouldn't mix it ? what's the reason behind that?
    Different compounds and construction. A bias-ply actually changes shape as you burnout and down the track. Not to mention bias-ply and radial have different reaction to steering inputs which could lead to a twitchy car at the limit. When traveling very fast in a straight line a slight twitch with different reaction can cause you to sway, and well, before you know it you are in the wall.

You might get away with it for a run or your whole life, but plenty of people haven't. The best way to avoid any potential problems is to run the same type of tires all the way around as recommended. Don't try to be smarter than the tire manufacturers or prove something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And also, for Gringotegra in particular, when guys mix it is usually with bias up front and radial in back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm telling you.. these HPF cars are animals on the top end. They will haze DR's even in the 3-4 shift. No way.. no how.. I'm running mixed tires. You guys need to drive one of these cars to understand. The power delivery is violent.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    I'm going to have to disagree. It makes a huge difference..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It sucks you were getting so much wheel hop. Why does HPF's own car not seem to have this issue?

To eliminate it you might have to make some sacrifices to the all around ability.
    They broke their OS Giken diff on the last pass at MFest.. HPF isn't immune to the BMW IRS.. I don't have the ability to get parts at cost or have a full shop behind me to fix broken stuff.

Pull up some videos for TX2K.. there were at least 3-4 Supras that crashed into the wall... mixing tires. I'm sorry but I'm not flirting with mixing tires just because 70% of people who do don't have problems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pull up some videos for TX2K.. there were at least 3-4 Supras that crashed into the wall... mixing tires. I'm sorry but I'm not flirting with mixing tires just because 70% of people who do don't have problems.
    Exactly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    engine blown what?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge