Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    700whp + gutted m3 should be deep into the Nines with a 1.55 60 ft

The gutted M3 still has a full road race cage not a standard 10pt youd have in drag racing.. i know for a fact it still weighs 3300-3400lbs with driver...its not as gutted as you might think...

I would say 9's yes but not deep into the 9's.....

You know i was thinking this car sits very low at the front, ive seen it up close... im almost wondering if the car stages off the front bumper? they require 3" of clearance at the front bumper in NHRA... old school trick to cut some time off your car! Im not saying they are doing that just saying i know the car sits low and it could be possible...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
    You know i was thinking this car sits very low at the front, ive seen it up close... im almost wondering if the car stages off the front bumper? they require 3" of clearance at the front bumper in NHRA... old school trick to cut some time off your car! Im not saying they are doing that just saying i know the car sits low and it could be possible...
    It would have to be VERY low.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

You'd have to do some serious work to the front suspension to get the car to sit @ 3" and handle properly. On an E46, this involves changing the pivot points on the control arms, and adding spacers to where the steering arms connect to the wheel hubs. From the pictures I've seen, neither has been done on this car, so it is definitely higher than 3" under the subframe. The rake of the car may have the front lip sitting a bit lower...but not by much.

It's a moot point though, because if you stage the car with the front end tripping the starting beams...you still have 1320 feet to move the car to the finish....same ET.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    It's a moot point though, because if you stage the car with the front end tripping the starting beams...you still have 1320 feet to move the car to the finish....same ET.
    But possibly inflated trap.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

So what're they doing to build boost off the line? This is a 6MT I assume??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    So what're they doing to build boost off the line? This is a 6MT I assume??
    See here: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ut-drag-racing

Yes, 6MT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shame on you for not posting your source for this info!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
    Shame on you for not posting your source for this info!
    Uh, you weren't able to figure out the source was youtube from the embedded youtube video which also serves as a link? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

You'd have to do some serious work to the front suspension to get the car to sit @ 3" and handle properly. On an E46, this involves changing the pivot points on the control arms, and adding spacers to where the steering arms connect to the wheel hubs. From the pictures I've seen, neither has been done on this car, so it is definitely higher than 3" under the subframe. The rake of the car may have the front lip sitting a bit lower...but not by much.

I just know the front splitter on that car is low, but dont know if its low enough..

also if the front end is low enough that you stage on the front of the bumper and if its low all the way to the tires, there is a good chance it will stay staged until after the front tires.. if that is the case youd have a solid 3 feet head start and trust me that can make a Huge difference in ET at the track... if any of you have a Vbox and run at the track, if you dont add the 1 ft rollout option in the Vbox it will be off 0.2-0.3 vs the track time...

Again im not saying HPF did that at all... Was just explaining..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

will stay staged until after the front tires.. if that is the case youd have a solid 3 feet head start and trust me that can make a Huge difference in ET at the track
    Yep, this is essentially the same thing that staging shallow does and it does make a difference due to getting a head start.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yep, this is essentially the same thing that staging shallow does and it does make a difference due to getting a head start.

Exactly.... when i light up the 2nd stage light i roll in as slow as i can ... a few inches can change things alot

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

^+1, in competitive brackets guys take staging very seriously because of the difference a couple inches can make in the ET.

And Adam, I think if the car launched hard enough it could stage on the bumper and lift the bumper above the start beam so the wheel would actually trip it, giving an extra couple feet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Its always fun to have Staging Duals!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
    I know he made 100s of passes with his Supra so he's no rookie.
    It's the clutch guys.. we both have the OS Giken 3 disc and I found it to be extremely tricky to operate. I'm thinking about re-installing my CDV its so bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    It's the clutch guys.. we both have the OS Giken 3 disc and I found it to be extremely tricky to operate. I'm thinking about re-installing my CDV its so bad.
    Why is it so much tougher? Sounds like it will take some time to get it down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why is it so much tougher? Sounds like it will take some time to get it down.
    It just wants to grab, with the 3 discs it is extremely hard to find a sweet spot and be consistent. It's unpredictable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

i got bored with my phone, decided to clock the second run (the last one before the trans gave up) and I got an 11.1 pass. If its accurate..its going to be one fast car..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

It just wants to grab, with the 3 discs it is extremely hard to find a sweet spot and be consistent. It's unpredictable.
    I don't have experience with this exact clutch....does giving it some time to break in help it modulate better?

For the power you have, and the track events you want to do, I'm surprised you didn't go with a Carbon/Carbon clutch. They modulate extremely well, even a 3 disk, and last a very long time. The only down side is price: In the $5-6 area. Over the long run they work out cheaper though....and being able to modulate off the line is worth significant ET as you know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Tilton sells a Flow control valve that pretty much everyone i know that has a twin/tripple disk puts in their car.. it disengages slower and seems to help alot of people out...

http://www.tiltonracing.com/content....st2&id=436&m=b

Now will it work in your M3 i have no clue since im not familiar with the clutches in them

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Tilton sells a Flow control valve that pretty much everyone i know that has a twin/tripple disk puts in their car.. it disengages slower and seems to help alot of people out...

http://www.tiltonracing.com/content....st2&id=436&m=b

Now will it work in your M3 i have no clue since im not familiar with the clutches in them
    That's an interesting solution. Why wouldn't it work?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The only way to launch them consistently and accurately is without anything in the line.

Although, multiplex and I were thinking about putting a fast solenoid on the clutch line and using the standalone to slip the clutch based on PWM. You could dial in clutch modulation (outward) almost exactly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 Click here to enlarge
    The only way to launch them consistently and accurately is without anything in the line.

Although, multiplex and I were thinking about putting a fast solenoid on the clutch line and using the standalone to slip the clutch based on PWM. You could dial in clutch modulation (outward) almost exactly.
    I actually tried it with a nitrous solenoid, and it worked like crap. Initially the idea was to use the solenoid to engage the clutch simultaneously releasing the line-lock....then I thought about pulsing. What happened was that the brake fluid ate the seals in the solenoid....

Here's one of the most cutting edge drag racing specific clutches available right now:

http://www.leandersclutch.com/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The only way to learn how to launch a car is do it over and over and over... SEAT TIME is everything.... Ive driven 5 different twin disks and 1 triple disk... after a few passes on each of them i was able to slip each and every one... People need time in these cars... for someone whos never raced a clutch car on the drag strip to jump in a car that has an aggressive twin/triple disk, well no $#@! you are going to suck at it lol....

Sticky, i have no clue how the clutch in a M3 is set up so im not sure that flow valve would for for it or not... they work well in every car ive seen them in

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Here's one of the most cutting edge drag racing specific clutches available right now:
    Good stuff, thought I would post their image with the details here:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People need time in these cars... for someone whos never raced a clutch car on the drag strip to jump in a car that has an aggressive twin/triple disk, well no $#@! you are going to suck at it lol....
    haha.. yeah, this is the truth. I've got 10+ years both bracket and index racing but if anyone saw me at Las Vegas they sure wouldn't have known lol.. I missed having my line lock for burn outs too haha.. I only got three passes in. My first pass I basically stood on the two step and side stepped the clutch. The plan was to simply let the tires do the slipping to remove the shock from the drive train. I found that the car had way to much lag for this to work. It pretty much just bogged and my 60' was in the 2.4 range. I don't really want to use anti-lag and the two-step didn't seem to build any usable boost. Even with what I felt was adequate launch RPM, every single pass I made I had significant wheel hop.

I'm still planning on taking the car down the 1/4 mile, but I believe my days of trying to launch hard are done until I can find a suitable way to control wheel hop. There have been way to many people breaking things in these cars and I'm not really wanting to R&D this with no sponsor ha! One thing is certain though, these HPF cars pull on the big end like nothing I have ever seen. By the time you hit the 1/8 mile the car literally feels like it has solid rocket boosters. I imagine that is why the HPF cars are trapping so high. I'm registered for the Texas Mile so we shall see soon enough.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast