Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Dems Almost Trick Repubs Into Passing Own Budget

This just goes to show that the Tea Party and GOP deficit-reduction BS (except for Ron Paul) is just smoke and mirrors:
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...+Atlantic+Wire)

What had happened was that the Repubs had tacked on a serious budget-busting plan to the current bill as political posturing, expecting the Dems to vote against it so they could attack them for obstructionism; but when the Dems saw more Repubs voted for it than not, the Dems basically called them on their posturing and changed all their No votes to Present, making the bill pass with only Repub support, at which time the Repubs scrambled to defeat their own amendment!

EPIC burn by the Dems, and Epic fail by the Tea Party (article includes video of the spectacle).
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Not exactly sure I understand what took place but didn't they push a huge spending cut through?

I'm amazed the government even functions with this kind of junk.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

What happened was the Dems knew the Repubs were only posturing for their base when they added the amendment with spending cuts too radical to realistically implement, at least politically. The Dems knew that the Repubs expected them to all vote no on it, but instead they decided to call the Repubs' bluff by all changing their no votes to "present" (but not voting) after the Repubs had cast their yes votes, causing the Repubs to pass a bill they really didn't want passed because it would alienate the political middle. So the Repubs see this happening and start changing their yes votes to no - desperately scrambling to recall their own bill before the final tally and exposing their hypocrisy in the process.

Not talking about the Ryan bill here but the Republican Commission Report one which cut way more. The Ryan bill is the one they intended to pass all along.
    Last edited by susan28; 04-18-2011 at 01:41 AM.
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by susan28 Click here to enlarge
    The Dems knew that the Repubs expected them to all vote no on it, but instead they decided to call the Repubs' bluff by all changing their no votes to "present" (but not voting) after the Repubs had cast their yes votes, causing the Repubs to pass a bill they really didn't want passed because it would alienate the political middle. So the Repubs see this happening and start changing their yes votes to no - desperately scrambling to recall their own bill before the final tally and exposing their hypocrisy in the process.
    Well then the Republicans look like idiots.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Precisely.

At first i thought it was quite bold of the Dems before realising they controlled the Senate and therefore had final say anyway, which makes the whole thing just hilarious!