Click here to enlarge

and some thicker shafts

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Excellent!

Where did you source the thicker drive shaft from? I didn't realize that was a potential weakness already. What power level are you at?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Since my original Quaife fitted diff got damaged due to poor workmanship I decided to have my tuning shop do what I was told was impossible. I decided to give it a shot and fit a E90 M3 diff. Since everyone said that is was not possible and after viewing a couple of photos on the forums of twisted side shafts I decided that it would be worth the try and fit the whole driveline.

I should be in the region of 400whp plus if I got down to the coast. I live at 1600m altitude so am loosing a bit of power. Similar to the well tuned JB3 and Procede cars. Running proprietary flash with the all the bolt on mods. I have the Coolingmist meth kit in my garage that I was suppose to fit this weekend but I read on a forum it makes your car explode hehe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    More details please...what kind of custom work did you have to do to get it to fit...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    Since my original Quaife fitted diff got damaged due to poor workmanship I decided to have my tuning shop do what I was told was impossible. I decided to give it a shot and fit a E90 M3 diff. Since everyone said that is was not possible and after viewing a couple of photos on the forums of twisted side shafts I decided that it would be worth the try and fit the whole driveline.

I should be in the region of 400whp plus if I got down to the coast. I live at 1600m altitude so am loosing a bit of power. Similar to the well tuned JB3 and Procede cars. Running proprietary flash with the all the bolt on mods. I have the Coolingmist meth kit in my garage that I was suppose to fit this weekend but I read on a forum it makes your car explode hehe.
    i looked at your m3 diff thread on e90 a while back when you made it. i was impressed, since many respectable people said that it was impossible, yet you accomplished it. i changed my driveshaft too, because i swapped diff's and driveshafts.

as per your methanol concern its not really an issue. water/meth is nothing like nitrous. of course there are handling concerns and refill precautions but you're careful at the pump not to spill right? lol its no different. its really easy and one of the best mods you can do to the n54 for the money, this and a tune are the top 2.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge

as per your methanol concern its not really an issue. water/meth is nothing like nitrous. of course there are handling concerns and refill precautions but you're careful at the pump not to spill right? lol its no different. its really easy and one of the best mods you can do to the n54 for the money, this and a tune are the top 2.
    The meth quote is a inside joke from a comment a tuner made on m3forum saying the motor will brake hehe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jaza45 Click here to enlarge
    More details please...what kind of custom work did you have to do to get it to fit...
    The propshaft needed modification. The rear piece is from a E92 M3 then it mates to a E90 Auto propshaft which is also shortened a bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So what did you have done?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    So what did you have done?
    Read the third post unless I misunderstood your question.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ahh, i got you. where did you source the parts? care to share cost for all this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1
    I think the m3 diff is the mat desireable. I'm having a hard time finding a shop that I would trust to pull off the switch. Hell, I'm having a hard time finding a shop nearby that'll tackle a waveteac or quaife.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boom Click here to enlarge
    +1
    I think the m3 diff is the mat desireable. I'm having a hard time finding a shop that I would trust to pull off the switch. Hell, I'm having a hard time finding a shop nearby that'll tackle a waveteac or quaife.
    That's a bit disconcerting... tackling a diff should not be too much to ask.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    George, would you mind making a thread about your Diff Swap on here? Some of us can't see E90...for some reasons...Click here to enlarge

Looking forward to it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boom Click here to enlarge
    +1

location?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ahh, i got you. where did you source the parts? care to share cost for all this?
    The diff, propshaft and sideshafts are from a E92 M3 that I got for a steal. I paid US$1200 for everything. I had the shop that I used to co-own do the installation.
    The M3 diffs are known to have some problems as well so its not a totally full proof conversion but at least no one opened the diff so its factory OEM.

The only problem now is that the ratio from the manual is to short and I am battling to source a DCT final drive. I should be climbing under the car one of these days for my meth install and I will be able to take detailed pictures and do a a proper walk through of the mods that where needed. I do know it was a one day job to have done with the trickiest part modifying the two different propshaft components for the correct length.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    The diff, propshaft and sideshafts are from a E92 M3 that I got for a steal. I paid US$1200 for everything. I had the shop that I used to co-own do the installation.
    The M3 diffs are known to have some problems as well so its not a totally full proof conversion but at least no one opened the diff so its factory OEM.

The only problem now is that the ratio from the manual is to short and I am battling to source a DCT final drive. I should be climbing under the car one of these days for my meth install and I will be able to take detailed pictures and do a a proper walk through of the mods that where needed. I do know it was a one day job to have done with the trickiest part modifying the two different propshaft components for the correct length.
    I know you are down in South Africa but Dan @ Diffsonline always took care of me and should be able to the do the same for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    location?
    Alexandria, VA