Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by milkt Click here to enlarge
    The lightweight flywheels do NOT chatter.
    Which ones? Because this one does and many other do unless you keep the revs up. Just a quick google or youtube search will provide you with plenty of evidence to the contrary:

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If that video exemplifies what would be seen as an "extremely" rattly flywheel, then i think i can live with it. It wasn't good but i've heard worse. And that car's engine sounded awesome! Mmmmm... Hope i didn't make a mistake turning down those RMS headers..
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by susan28 Click here to enlarge
    If that video exemplifies what would be seen as an "extremely" rattly flywheel, then i think i can live with it. It wasn't good but i've heard worse. And that car's engine sounded awesome! Mmmmm... Hope i didn't make a mistake turning down those RMS headers..
    RMS headers are pretty much the best headers out there. You should rethink that.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah maybe.. i was strapped from the TS purchase and trying to leave myself some clutch money, but i *could* swing it if i wanted to.

Is my option still open, Zo? Ol' buddy ol' pal? Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by susan28; 04-19-2011 at 08:54 AM.
    ​"For the most part, it was pretty quiet all night long in gold and silver, but I'm sure the bullion banks are still lurking out there somewhere." -Ed Steer

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You could always go with raceland ss euro reps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just checked those out, wow they're hella inexpensive if they perform as advertised. They look alot like the RMS, are they pretty much knockoffs?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just checked those out, wow they're hella inexpensive if they perform as advertised. They look alot like the RMS, are they pretty much knockoffs?
    The racelands are knocks off's of the euro motor super sprint headers. The Rms headers have not been copied. The kool thing about the SS euro knock off's you can get the true SS euro center section, and it should bolt right up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    The racelands are knocks off's of the euro motor super sprint headers. The Rms headers have not been copied. The kool thing about the SS euro knock off's you can get the true SS euro center section, and it should bolt right up.
    AHhhhhh, now that's nice. Not necessarily more economical based on what i'm seeing the Centers going for, but sano for sure. I like. And i'm assuming you can also run them without it, but does that require any mod of the header itself or just the stock center?

EDIT to add: Would the Raceland/SS headers mayhaps make more low-end torque than the RMS due to their smaller diameter?
    Last edited by susan28; 04-19-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    AHhhhhh, now that's nice. Not necessarily more economical based on what i'm seeing the Centers going for, but sano for sure. I like. And i'm assuming you can also run them without it, but does that require any mod of the header itself or just the stock center?

EDIT to add: Would the Raceland/SS headers mayhaps make more low-end torque than the RMS due to their smaller diameter?
    I'm not sure, but I do know that Rms made the best headers for the e36. There is a member here who works for Rms, and if you wanted to wait you could get a set from him I'm sure. Milkt ran the euro headers and made good power with his TS setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not sure, but I do know that Rms made the best headers for the e36. There is a member here who works for Rms, and if you wanted to wait you could get a set from him I'm sure. Milkt ran the euro headers and made good power with his TS setup.
    All good, thanks GG. Hopefully he'll chime in here.

The used RMS option is off the table now btw, but they went to a more needy home so that's cool. I'll be in a better position financially in a year or so anyway so i'd actually prefer to wait and for now just get the TS in and commence replacing drivetrain and suspension parts before dialing it up too hot.

Driving the AA prototype M3 tomorrow around noon and will make note of exhaust and drivetrain details.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All good, thanks GG. Hopefully he'll chime in here.

The used RMS option is off the table now btw, but they went to a more needy home so that's cool. I'll be in a better position financially in a year or so anyway so i'd actually prefer to wait and for now just get the TS in and commence replacing drivetrain and suspension parts before dialing it up too hot.

Driving the AA prototype M3 tomorrow around noon and will make note of exhaust and drivetrain details.
    Get pics and or video of the drive please. That would be awesome

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Will def take some pics, never shot a vid before and the darned camera instructions are in spanish but i should be able to figure it out. Prolly has something to do with the button with the pic of the movie camera on it lol..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes that would be it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    K here we go, no sound on my camera but here's a 40-to-100mph shot, starting at 40 and mashing it in 3rd. You can see when it happens as the lines suddenly begin moving faster:

This was an AA unit, the owner had precious little knowledge about the specifics of the setup except to say it has 46# injectors and makes 450hp on an unbuilt engine. It had the AA Street exhaust and no headers. It also had what he described as a racing clutch with lightweight flywheel but again had no specifics, i can say only that although it did rattle a bit at idle, it was no biggie and well worth it for the grip.

My impression is that it really traced the torque curve of the stock car, right down to the amount of lag when you punch it at low rpm's - the stock engine bogs just a tad then and this doesn't change with the TS but gets no worse either; infact i might go as far as to say that it actually pulls a lil stronger right from scratch than stock does - but certainly no less, which is what i was sweating all this time, needlessly. The main diff is that it just requires less pedal to do the same thing, and rewards full-throttle stabs with blinding acceleration.

One thing that fooled me at first was 1st gear, which spins up to redline almost instantly and if you're not ready with a shift it'll bang the needle and shut you down. I say fooled me because it felt like it was either frying the clutch or spinning the wheels yet there was no screeching or smell, and i was getting thrown back in the seat - it's like it throws you back then lurches you forward when it cuts off - come to realise that like stock, first goes really fast and pulls really hard, but with the TS 1st is a $#@!ing stump-puller and 2nd-gear starts are almost more natural feeling with all the new torque than 1st-gear ones are - yes, you can start off in SECOND without even slipping the clutch, so soon does it begin to pull that first feels like a spinout til you realise you just went half a block in half a second and it's YOU that needs to catch up, not the clutch.

It made a pleasing whistling/sucking sound anytime you punched it or let off , and kinda had the feel of secondaries kicking in on an old 4-barrel carb. You hear the sucking then there's a feeling like an auto-tranny dropping into passing gear and the catapult begins. SO predictable, SO controllable..

What it is, and Chris, the owner, agreed, is that the TS gives the e36 the power it seemed to be lacking stock, without changing its personality.

Yes it's expensive. But It feels like nothing more or less than the e36 done right the first time, with more power and an actual *upgrade* in road manners (the opposite of most FI rigs) and that's priceless.

The only other thing i can say is the power does kind of abruptly flatten at the top, and Chris said they actually *lowered* the redline at installation saying it was safer and high redline isn't needed anyway with all this torque. There's also the illusion of it finishing "early" because it finishes *quickly*, as exemplified by first gear. But nonetheless, i can now see the one area that makes the TS people eventually go turbo once they've mastered the power the TS does make. But for my priorities for my daily driver, this is the dream ticket.

I can't wait for mine to arrive, and Chris and i are gonna compare notes and rides once its in, since his is dialed up higher right now. He said his engine was stock too when i said i wanted to wait til i built mine to dial up the boost, but then he's also blown a head gasket so... we'll see about that.

Anyway, there's my first impression of the TS. Absolute feel-goodness about my purchase now, and i think it's probably ruined me for other FI formats. I'd be more inclined to want a bigger TS blower (like the Kenne Bell) than a turbo in the future cuz i'm gonna be holding every system to the high bar set by the TS in the lowend dept. I think imma TS girl for life.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The engine compartment (couldn't really get a good pic of it outside) and water reservoir/pump in trunk:

Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    kool

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    kool
    As promised, my friend.

And with that my purpose for this thread - to gain insight from longterm owners on their feelings to date to try to determine without a test drive the viability of this kit as pertains to my longterm goals for Marjoleine - has been resolved.

I will post a more detailed breakdown of my own installation and its continuing evolution on a new thread, but until then thanks to all who've been so helpful to me at this critical time.

People, especially TS owners, who wish to share info on TS-related engine/frame mods may continue to use this thread - and of course if you have stories to share, do!

susan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only thing that blows is no sound in the video.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would love to hear sound of that thing
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah sorry bout that, but will be sure to scout up an a/v-capable cellphone for the upcoming vids of my own car. I had to use a regular camera this time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyway, there's my first impression of the TS. Absolute feel-goodness about my purchase now, and i think it's probably ruined me for other FI formats. I'd be more inclined to want a bigger TS blower (like the Kenne Bell) than a turbo in the future cuz i'm gonna be holding every system to the high bar set by the TS in the lowend dept. I think imma TS girl for life.
    I agree with you. It's hard to beat the fun factor of a TS. You can enjoy it at any RPM. It makes everything more fun because the curve is pushed up from the beginning from start to finish.

At some point I will have to get a twin screw car. You made the right choice, wish the vid had sound but that is ok.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123