Close

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    So just so I understand correctly, running richer afr's then currently possible at high boost won't help prevent detonation? Am I understanding you correctly? And there are many broken Z's alright but not at 440rw if they were running a good tune. For real life evidence see the msizzle VS nismo thread that has two blown Z's making more power on pump certainly this can be done on the N54 as it is on many motors. I do so love the Vishnu commentary though keep it coming.
    The Z is making more power on pump due to going with a return style fuel system *modified rail, 7XX cc injectors and upgraded pump*. It's not running the stock system and I have no clue how much power it could support in stock trim. With that said, I'm jealous at least for now that PI cars can do that *run bigger injectors & pump* Click here to enlarge Hopefully this solution is the real deal!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    The Z is making more power on pump due to going with a return style fuel system *modified rail, 7XX cc injectors and upgraded pump*. It's not running the stock system and I have no clue how much power it could support in stock trim. With that said, I'm jealous at least for know that PI cars can do that *bigger injectors & pump* Click here to enlarge Hopefully this solution is the real deal!
    That the point though it's making more power because it runs more fuel. It doesn't seem to be currently known what other restrictions there are on the N54 fuel system. It could be just this or everything might need to be replaced. This is that first step in that laundry list of things you mentioned the z needed. Perhaps after this DI will be a blessing in disguise as I remember reading that the ford DI engines were running at 14% fuel system capacity. We shall see if other things are also bottlenecks but I wouldn't be surprised to learn not. Either way even Terry agreed that this was the biggest restriction and it appears to have been removed. For that we can all be happy no?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    The Z is making more power on pump due to going with a return style fuel system *modified rail, 7XX cc injectors and upgraded pump*. It's not running the stock system and I have no clue how much power it could support in stock trim. With that said, I'm jealous at least for know that PI cars can do that *bigger injectors & pump* Click here to enlarge Hopefully this solution is the real deal!
    That the point though it's making more power because it runs more fuel. It doesn't seem to be currently known what other restrictions there are on the N54 fuel system. It could be just this or everything might need to be replaced. This is that first step in that laundry list of things you mentioned the z needed. Perhaps after this DI will be a blessing in disguise as I remember reading that the ford DI engines were running at 14% fuel system capacity. We shall see if other things are also bottlenecks but I wouldn't be surprised to learn not. Either way even Terry agreed that this was the biggest restriction and it appears to have been removed. For that we can all be happy no?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    Looks promising. Hopefully this will pan out
    Same, hope it works out.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    like i said, only work for a few weeks, then someone somewhere will crack it and we will be on our way..
    Exactly, there will be no way if a working solution is found for it to be kept under lock and key for one tuner.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like he is going to be selling to all:
    This... is going to get interesting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So just so I understand correctly, running richer afr's then currently possible at high boost won't help prevent detonation? Am I understanding you correctly? And there are many broken Z's alright but not at 440rw if they were running a good tune. For real life evidence see the msizzle VS nismo thread that has two blown Z's making more power on pump certainly this can be done on the N54 as it is on many motors. I do so love the Vishnu commentary though keep it coming.
    Correct. Because we can already run as rich as we want on the pump gas stock turbo limits. On pump we're capped around 400rw +-10hp based on octane regardless of whether we run 10:1 or 12:1. So pump gas stock turbo, zero benefit. Pump gas big turbo, probably a benefit, but no one is going to spend 5k on turbos + labor and not run a $600 meth kit to take full advantage IMHO. The real benefit is for those who are stuck in the 450-500rw range based on fueling limits. The big turbo guys really need fueling system improvements to push the platform forward.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I like titties.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    I like titties.
    Upgraded ones?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow so 400whp is the limit on pump on an N54 before it begins to detonate? I wonder why that's so low? Is it because right now there isn't full timing control?(and I mean that as a legitimate question not a shot at anybody as no piggy has real timing control now) I just have seen plenty of engines tuned past this on pump with no issues and it's surprising because I thought DI was supposed to help control detonation and push the limits of tuning once fully figured out. As I said I'm asking serious questions as I find it surprising. Oh and if being able to lower targeted timing would help this means that this upgrade would be more important to people wanting to have a custom flash no?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Flash tunes hit the same limits on pump gas. We're dealing with a high effective compression ratio and overworked turbos at those 400rw power levels. There is only so much you can do. If this were a traditional injected motor I imagine we'd be capped 20hp lower. DI does help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is the 400 whp limit with pump + meth or just straight 91 pump?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    91/93 octane +-10hp. With meth you can hit 440-450rw with enough boost. And again run any AFR your heart desires. At around 475rw things get sketchy with fueling.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TerryBMS Click here to enlarge
    91/93 octane +-10hp. With meth you can hit 440-450rw with enough boost. And again run any AFR your heart desires. At around 475rw things get sketchy with fueling.
    They get sketchy well before that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    They get sketchy well before that.
    I suppose it begs the question how much meth. With a dual M10 nozzle setup keeping up at 475rw doesn't seem to be a big issue. But all in all it's safe to say anyone looking to make in excess of 450rw reliability should address the fueling.

There is a CAN diagnostic command that forces the low pressure pump on (100% duty cycle). I've been curious to see what happens if activated during a WOT run at higher power levels. Tried it yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    There is a CAN diagnostic command that forces the low pressure pump on (100% duty cycle). I've been curious to see what happens if activated during a WOT run at higher power levels. Tried it yet?
    Very interesting as you'll be using the necessary fuel when needed.
    Is the CAN command sending a voltage of 11?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Electric motors run off duty cycle, although if you read them with an RMS voltage meter you can get an average voltage reading. I've had so many pots on the burner I haven't had a chance to log the command to see if it improves the situation. But we added the low pressure fuel pressure to the JB4 awhile ago and observed strange oscillations at higher than stock fuel pressure. Which indicates a low pressure regulation issue. In the following logs dutycycle actually presents the low fuel pressure. MISC is LPH of fuel consumed / 2 from the DME's perspective.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS Click here to enlarge
    Did a few more stock vs. tuned runs and more oddities with the low pressure fuel signal observed! Something with the tuning, either the extra fuel demand alone, or the varied fuel pressure, etc, is causing a lot of oscillation in the low pressure regulation vs. stock. Not quite sure what to make of it. :headscratch:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The fix here isn't rocket science. I looked at a diagram for about 30 minutes before having a pretty firm grasp on how the fuel system works, and posted that thread. Regardless I am excited there is a solution on the way, soon. My approach was going to be a) find a way to quiet the DME, b) get a sufficient in-tank pump with adaptations to existing bucket (or new bucket altogether), and c) modify in a new AFPR that can handle returning hi-volumes of fuel back to the tank at low loads while always maintaining the desired pressure into the HPFP. Being that there's a sensor it can also be logged and we could play with even adjusting that pressure into the HPFP if later desired.

That way would be quick and easy. The most trick way would be to retain the PWM into the new pump using the existing tiny OEM FPR though. Super clean install, super cheap in hardware.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    The fix here isn't rocket science. I looked at a diagram for about 30 minutes before having a pretty firm grasp on how the fuel system works, and posted that thread. Regardless I am excited there is a solution on the way, soon. My approach was going to be a) find a way to quiet the DME, b) get a sufficient in-tank pump with adaptations to existing bucket (or new bucket altogether), and c) modify in a new AFPR that can handle returning hi-volumes of fuel back to the tank at low loads while always maintaining the desired pressure into the HPFP. Being that there's a sensor it can also be logged and we could play with even adjusting that pressure into the HPFP if later desired.

That way would be quick and easy. The most trick way would be to retain the PWM into the new pump using the existing tiny OEM FPR though. Super clean install, super cheap in hardware.
    no idea what your saying, bu i am looking forward to showing what your product can do Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My interest here has been and only is the advancement of the platform. Im not going to recreate the wheel. I was just tossing out the methods I would've ran with it if I had too, fortunately it's looking like I'm not going to need to (and thank goodness because I'm already tapped on time).

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    no idea what your saying, bu i am looking forward to showing what your product can do Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i meant, what the RB's can do once we have the supporting equipment Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Exactly man. This fix may tap them out, maybe with some overhead... Which is ideal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Exactly man. This fix may tap them out, maybe with some overhead... Which is ideal.
    What is an educated prediction on boost targets/power tapped out? Do you think there will be enough fueling to hit boost targets on pump gas w/o meth or is that just a dream?

Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Flash tunes hit the same limits on pump gas. We're dealing with a high effective compression ratio and overworked turbos at those 400rw power levels. There is only so much you can do. If this were a traditional injected motor I imagine we'd be capped 20hp lower. DI does help.
    Hey Terry, the stock turbos are overworked at high rpm; but aren't they still more than efficient on the low end? IE. with more fueling could we not push them 20+psi below saw 5000rpm, with the boost tapering off the higher we go. More low end torque Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Before I ever released them til now my thoughts have not changed. The limit in my opinion is going to be determined by the point of diminishing gains per PSI increase. My speculation has always been that it will begin to happen at around 550rwhp and we may see up to 575whp on the most aggressive of setups. This limit is mainly due to turbine housing... so if thats not enough power then waiting for the singles is what youll want to do. And if it's any better than that I would be very surprised.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by catch_m3 Click here to enlarge
    What is an educated prediction on boost targets/power tapped out? Do you think there will be enough fueling to hit boost targets on pump gas w/o meth or is that just a dream?

Thanks!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast