Close

    • BMW will offer a factory N55 powerkit, power boost to about 320 horsepower + retaining warranty

      We have learned that an N55 powerkit will be coming relatively soon from BMW for all models. What will it consist of? Well, it will be very similar to the N54 powerkit offering a slight bump in power and cooling upgrades. This will of course maintain the factory warranty and be available as an option during the order of the vehicle or to be installed at the dealer. The engine will go up to about 320 horsepower and 330 pound-feet of torque from the standard ratings of 300/300. Pricing and details to come when the official announcement is made.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: BMW will offer a factory N55 powerkit, power boost to about 320 horsepower + retaining warranty started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 25 Comments
      1. aquaskr's Avatar
        aquaskr -
        I wonder how much it will REALLY put down? How did the N54 powerkit dyno?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aquaskr Click here to enlarge
        I wonder how much it will REALLY put down? How did the N54 powerkit dyno?
        This isn't a powerkit dyno but includes a nice dyno comparison of N54's and the N55 along with the "is" N54: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-the-335is-N54

        I would say the powerkit should be along the lines of the "is" if not slightly stronger. So, 295-300 whp is not an unrealistic expectation.
      1. SSDD's Avatar
        SSDD -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aquaskr Click here to enlarge
        I wonder how much it will REALLY put down? How did the N54 powerkit dyno?
        I'm still looking for a good comparison, but for the N54 the consensus is about 30whp, plus or minus.

        I'm impressed BMW got this out so quickly. It must have been a decent money maker on the N54 for them. IMHO at this time the N55 power kit is a solid option for more power and if it's anything like the N54, will still be a great addon to have when the solid and user friendly tuning solutions hit the market.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
        I'm still looking for a good comparison, but for the N54 the consensus is about 30whp, plus or minus.

        I'm impressed BMW got this out so quickly. It must have been a decent money maker on the N54 for them. IMHO at this time the N55 power kit is a solid option for more power and if it's anything like the N54, will still be a great addon to have when the solid and user friendly tuning solutions hit the market.
        It is not officially out yet but only natural for them to do it with the N54 being phased out in just about everything except the 1M.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        I'm not impressed.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        I'm not impressed.
        Well those aware of the aftermarket won't be. This is just BMW taking a chunk of the tuners pockets by offering a mild tune with a warranty.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        So they throw 20 hp at the problem and pray people wont get tunes.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        So they throw 20 hp at the problem and pray people wont get tunes.
        You know how many people are scared of warranty issues? That is why Dinan had such an upper hand for so long IMO.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You know how many people are scared of warranty issues? That is why Dinan had such an upper hand for so long IMO.
        How much does this package cost?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        How much does this package cost?
        I would think it should be inline with N54 powerkit costs. It has not been officially revealed yet.
      1. thejerseydon's Avatar
        thejerseydon -
        They are shipping 7-10 days and here are the PN#s for the n55 power kit. i was told it is only sold with vin# to get the right software and parts. Same power as the N54 kit as i was told.

        1 0 11-12-2-184-495 POWER KIT WITH FSC NOBIN 2146.00 xxxx.xx xxxx.xx
        1 0 51-74-2-157-684 AIR DUCT NOBIN 194.37 xxx.50 xxx.50
        1 0 51-74-2-157-686 AIR DUCT NOBIN 194.37 xxx.50 xxx.50

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I would think it should be inline with N54 powerkit costs. It has not been officially revealed yet.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by thejerseydon Click here to enlarge
        They are shipping 7-10 days and here are the PN#s for the n55 power kit. i was told it is only sold with vin# to get the right software and parts. Same power as the N54 kit as i was told.

        1 0 11-12-2-184-495 POWER KIT WITH FSC NOBIN 2146.00 xxxx.xx xxxx.xx
        1 0 51-74-2-157-684 AIR DUCT NOBIN 194.37 xxx.50 xxx.50
        1 0 51-74-2-157-686 AIR DUCT NOBIN 194.37 xxx.50 xxx.50
        Thank you very much.
      1. elray's Avatar
        elray -
        20hp is not a lot, but a least it is something. Understand that you can get 17hp form a cold air-intake for less that $500. I wonder what BMW will ask for the upgrade?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by elray Click here to enlarge
        20hp is not a lot, but a least it is something. Understand that you can get 17hp form a cold air-intake for less that $500. I wonder what BMW will ask for the upgrade?
        The price was posted by thejerseydon.

        17 hp from an intake on the N55 is pretty optimistic.
      1. thejerseydon's Avatar
        thejerseydon -
        Here is the image of the parts for the kit. Its good to note the kit comes with many safety features for long term use covered by normal and extended warranty. i mean they even swap out the spark plugs for ones called "High Power" by bosch. These are items we might never think about changing. we all know this kit is not for all people but it puts out the same HP as the 1M coupe and covered by bmw. im getting a breakdown of the ecu reflash and any info on the dct tomorrow.


        Attachment 5344
      1. deemo319's Avatar
        deemo319 -
        This is cool but a little lacking. I understand BMW NA toning it down. Sticky was correct and right on the money, BMW NA takes a little piece of the aftermarket pie with this and peace of mind with going to the dealer and having it done and driving out without a worry.

        There is so much on the internet about warranty. But if one was interested about warranty issues look up and get a good understanding of the Moss Magnusson Act. You cannot give someone a warranty and then take it away. The North American arms of the European car companies and service departments are good at scaring the living daylights out ot consumers and it does not take much to do that when talking about warranty. I would lean towards Dinan my self. I had a "chip" installed back when I got my first BMW in 1995. It worked great although that was OBD-1. I would get a Dinan, they stand behind the products and work they sell.

        Although some people are afraid of the aftermarket and it's reverse enginerring. Which in most cases is not a bad thing at all. If someone has never had a reflash and wants to try it BMW NA has it covered and they get it done at the dealer and they will like that sort of saftey net if you will. Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by thejerseydon Click here to enlarge
        Here is the image of the parts for the kit. Its good to note the kit comes with many safety features for long term use covered by normal and extended warranty. i mean they even swap out the spark plugs for ones called "High Power" by bosch. These are items we might never think about changing. we all know this kit is not for all people but it puts out the same HP as the 1M coupe and covered by bmw. im getting a breakdown of the ecu reflash and any info on the dct tomorrow.


        Attachment 5344
        Great information, just great!
      1. thejerseydon's Avatar
        thejerseydon -
        Attachment 5411
        Complete parts breakdown for N55 powerkit also confirmed the ecu reflash does change some settings on the dct. im still digging for more details on the changes.
      1. elray's Avatar
        elray -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The price was posted by thejerseydon.

        17 hp from an intake on the N55 is pretty optimistic.
        I would indeed agree, but AFE has apparently dynoed it.
      1. SSDD's Avatar
        SSDD -
        Their N54 dyno was/is wildly inflated. They get a lot of hate because a user dyno'd it on a stock car and lost hp. Either way don't take their word for it