Close

    • Race Video: E46 M3 convertible vs. Audi S5

      My friend and I got a chance to do a few pulls during a meet last weekend.. Both cars have exhaust valves. We did several pulls, 2 of which I got on video clearly. Each time were about dead even, nobody really gained. This is a bit of a shock to the Audi community as well as myself. However, the numbers behind each car don't exactly put the S5 ahead by much at all.




      This article was originally published in forum thread: (Video) E46 M3 vs. Audi S5 started by leftlanefiend View original post
      Comments 35 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Lock n Load Click here to enlarge
        BUT it was no threat on the roads. I got tired of having the E46M3 with tune and bolt on's eat my lunch. The car was heavy and the DT loss with 4WD was incredible.
        Yes, this is exactly right.
      1. 1cleanAMG's Avatar
        1cleanAMG -
        I have a neighbor who has an S5. We once raced and now he bows to me every time he sees me.
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        car still looks nice though x.x
      1. SSDD's Avatar
        SSDD -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Lock n Load Click here to enlarge
        Painful, tell me about it. I use to own an RS4. Great car, good looker, handling, finish:

        BUT it was no threat on the roads. I got tired of having the E46M3 with tune and bolt on's eat my lunch. The car was heavy and the DT loss with 4WD was incredible.
        It weighed only 200 less than the E60M5.
        Dump it in one year and took a MAJOR bath too.

        Ranger
        Wow your car really does look great. I'm glad I went the way I did as I really wanted a v8 S4 until my A4 got the doors blown off it by a 335i.
      1. akh23456's Avatar
        akh23456 -
        was the rt. 18 by route 9?
      1. ERM324's Avatar
        ERM324 -
        Somethings wrong...
        I know that a V8 S5 is not the fastest of cars, but I am lead to believe it is indeed faster than a stock e46 (let alone the convertible).
        My brother has an S5 with AWE cat-back and downpipes, and this is what he did to his friends G37s:



        Yeah its not the fastest of cars, but I dont believe its as slow as in that vid against the M3..call me crazy, but I'd put my money on the s5 in a heads up race between the two.
        I beleive the 1/4 mile time for an S5 is just about even, if not barely quicker, than a stock M3 as well.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ERM324 Click here to enlarge
        Yeah its not the fastest of cars, but I dont believe its as slow as in that vid against the M3..call me crazy, but I'd put my money on the s5 in a heads up race between the two.
        I beleive the 1/4 mile time for an S5 is just about even, if not barely quicker, than a stock M3 as well.
        That's the point, it's a heads up race really but if a cab with the top down runs with it... what do you think a coupe will do? The AWD hurts it especially the longer the race goes.

        The S5 just isn't that strong.
      1. leftlanefiend's Avatar
        leftlanefiend -
        Had another run with the M3, this time top up, and it was the same. I began my pull around 4th again, and this time it was a few seconds longer...I clearly pulled. Will do it again hopefully next weekend with the camera this time, and a coupe on hand.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leftlanefiend Click here to enlarge
        Had another run with the M3, this time top up, and it was the same. I began my pull around 4th again, and this time it was a few seconds longer...I clearly pulled. Will do it again hopefully next weekend with the camera this time, and a coupe on hand.
        Awesome, if you get the me the vid I'll put it up on the front page gladly.

        Definitely will need a new thread though.
      1. leftlanefiend's Avatar
        leftlanefiend -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Awesome, if you get the me the vid I'll put it up on the front page gladly.

        Definitely will need a new thread though.
        Sounds great, will do.
      1. deemo319's Avatar
        deemo319 -
        Uhhh, the S5 is a great looking car even with it plebian underpinnings. However a cabriolet with a 6-cylinder, with the top down and 19" rims in theory should not be able to hang. if you go back a long way the Audi had a horsepower "bump " when it came out. Audi said it had 333-hp and then restated it had 354-hp. Which means it does not, and that also means that the S54 engine is still a wonderful lump of BMW M ness!!!

        The E46 M3 is still a very highly desirable car and that is just from a visual aspect. The performance of these cars is close but with a V8 it should be "gone". Just get an M3, and call it a day. And if you see an Audi S5, chuckle Click here to enlarge a little and just keep rollin gentleman, oh and ladies too.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by deemo319 Click here to enlarge
        Uhhh, the S5 is a great looking car even with it plebian underpinnings. However a cabriolet with a 6-cylinder, with the top down and 19" rims in theory should not be able to hang. if you go back a long way the Audi had a horsepower "bump " when it came out. Audi said it had 333-hp and then restated it had 354-hp. Which means it does not, and that also means that the S54 engine is still a wonderful lump of BMW M ness!!!
        It is just the Audi drivetrain losses and weight that hurt it. This is why crank ratings mean jack, what is getting to the ground?
      1. leftlanefiend's Avatar
        leftlanefiend -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It is just the Audi drivetrain losses and weight that hurt it. This is why crank ratings mean jack, what is getting to the ground?
        I had read somewhere not too long ago that the RS5 dyno's at around 299 to the wheels...around 33% drivetrain loss. Click here to enlarge
      1. blkclk550's Avatar
        blkclk550 -
        S5's lack of performance turned me away from the car all tho i love the looks of it.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        ^ and the nose is pretty heavy , you will face a massive understeer in S5.