Close

    • S65 V8 Rod Bearing Failure in Drew's Gintani Supercharged M3 - covered under Gintani warranty

      I have been reluctant to post about this earlier as I wanted to give Gintani ample time to look at the engine to try and determine what happened before I posted. We have an idea what caused it but currently the motor has not been broken down to do a full inspection. Given the current drama / speculation on the forums, I felt, along with Gintani, that we should post now and let everyone know that a failure did occur on my car, and then follow up later when we have more solid detailed information. As of now I know of no other Gintani car that has had a failure, but mine.

      The engine had been making a slight ticking noise on the passenger side wheel well for about a month before the failure, it sounded like an exhaust leak, but it is difficult to pinpoint noises on this engine. It appeared to have been a bad rod bearing that was causing the noise. Eventually the bearing failed, the rod seized onto the crank shaft, broke and one half came out the side of the block. That is all I currently know for certain, when Gintani tears the motor down they can investigate further to try and pinpoint exactly what it was, then post pictures, and a more accurate detailed analysis. It appears though that the Active Autowerke car that failed, is very similar in nature to this failure.

      A few things to point out -

      1. I've been running 9psi for over 10K miles on the motor, currently no other kit runs this much boost.
      2. When I dynoed the car, and removed the air filter, it hit 11psi, and you can see on the dyno a huge dip up top, which could be detonation.
      3. The seals on my 1st blower blew out while doing some spirited driving, eventually the car ran out of oil, this could have damaged the bearing.
      4. Other 2008 motors have been torn down and found to have wear on the rod bearings that could have eventually failed as mine did.

      The current status is that a long block is on it's way, Gintani is covering the cost of the motor and all labor, which is above and beyond what most companies would do. I am extremely thankful to them for doing so, they have always taken care of me. Right now my plans are that I am going to keep the kit, but most likely will lower the boost, hopefully I will be up and running soon, with more dyno's, video's, vbox data, etc.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Rod Bearing Failure... started by DLSJ5 View original post
      Comments 132 Comments
      1. DLSJ5's Avatar
        DLSJ5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
        ^ that wasnt what he wrote, it was edited. But im with you drew, Im not sure why he wrote what he did, he didnt say anything bad in this thread...till the last post (that was changed, it said some bad stuff) but not sure why jaime got upset when it didnt seem there was any drama in the thread.
        I know, but at least he edited it, but I believe he was upset before his last post, because he can only post now once a day? I just don't know why?
      1. DD GT3 RD's Avatar
        DD GT3 RD -
        ^ cause people give him negative rep Im assuming. Then it limits your posts.
      1. DLSJ5's Avatar
        DLSJ5 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
        ^ cause people give him negative rep Im assuming. Then it limits your posts.
        Ah Gotcha, not sure I'm a fan of that system.
      1. DD GT3 RD's Avatar
        DD GT3 RD -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLSJ5 Click here to enlarge
        Ah Gotcha, not sure I'm a fan of that system.
        yeah, I liked it, but I can also see it being very unfair....in a perfect world it would be fair but I think people team up and just negative rep people they dont like and then they are silenced which isnt really fair. Pretty much if this system was on m3post you wouldnt be able to ever write! lol...

        edit: I have never negative rep'd anyone, seems strange but you could give him positive rep, maybe it will undo his status. I was thinking of it, I hate that he throws out personal attacks, but there still needs to be the ability to debate, I guess?
      1. ERM324's Avatar
        ERM324 -
        the rep system is not needed...at all
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ERM324 Click here to enlarge
        the rep system is not needed...at all
        yes it is. more people should rep the things they like, and not just what they dont like. it shouldnt be used for just a disagreemen, but a over-the top-negative statement
      1. inter1032's Avatar
        inter1032 -
        damn this sucks, sorry to hear
        i saw something about your car in some video about who is sticky or something but i didnt think it was true
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M33 Click here to enlarge
        Thanks for the negative points stinks
        I didn't give you any, seems someone else did. Here I'll give you a positive since you haven't had quite the same ESS hard on as of late.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
        ^ that wasnt what he wrote, it was edited. But im with you drew, Im not sure why he wrote what he did, he didnt say anything bad in this thread...till the last post (that was changed, it said some bad stuff) but not sure why jaime got upset when it didnt seem there was any drama in the thread.
        Interesting, well it seems he should blame himself for his neg rep then. That is the point of it, think before you post especially when you haven't contributed much.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        yes it is. more people should rep the things they like, and not just what they dont like. it shouldnt be used for just a disagreemen, but a over-the top-negative statement
        Exactly.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
        yeah, I liked it, but I can also see it being very unfair....in a perfect world it would be fair but I think people team up and just negative rep people they dont like and then they are silenced which isnt really fair. Pretty much if this system was on m3post you wouldnt be able to ever write! lol...

        edit: I have never negative rep'd anyone, seems strange but you could give him positive rep, maybe it will undo his status. I was thinking of it, I hate that he throws out personal attacks, but there still needs to be the ability to debate, I guess?
        Not exactly true. It is set up so the more you contribute, the more influence you have.

        I can neg rep you, won't put you in timeout because you have over time built up such a good reputation with your contributions. As a matter of fact, I think it would take 30 neg reps in one day or so to limit you. Not going to happen... there are different rules for different levels of rep. If you have very little you should be more cautious about what you say. Basically, a noob with no contributions can't come in here and start abusing everyone as it allows everyone to be a mod.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLSJ5 Click here to enlarge
        Ah Gotcha, not sure I'm a fan of that system.
        Well, as admin I am as it allows everyone to work as a moderator and have a voice. It also allows people to see your contributions and if they were quality contributions. Post count isn't indicative of post quality, reputation shows how you use your posts offering additional insight into a user.

        For you to get limited by going into negative rep would mean losing all 246 points. I have a feeling 20 or so lost points into it you would realize hey, I said something maybe I shouldn't have.

        Much better system than some biased mod who decides what to do with you. This is all automated and very clear to everyone. It's simple, contribute positively, and you won't have any problems.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLSJ5 Click here to enlarge
        I know, but at least he edited it, but I believe he was upset before his last post, because he can only post now once a day? I just don't know why?
        Because he was in negative reputation. He should build up positive contributions first, you can read how it works here as I think we are getting off topic: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...s-been-enabled

        Also, you may not realize this, but the system allows for ample chances for one to redeem themselves unlike traditional ones. M33 has created multiple accounts, insulted everyone here, and been in negative rep multiple times yet still allowed to participate. Seems extremely flexible and lenient to me, I just think you need more experience with it.
      1. Itsbrokeagain's Avatar
        Itsbrokeagain -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Because he was in negative reputation. He should build up positive contributions first, you can read how it works here as I think we are getting off topic: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...s-been-enabled

        Also, you may not realize this, but the system allows for ample chances for one to redeem themselves unlike traditional ones. M33 has created multiple accounts, insulted everyone here, and been in negative rep multiple times yet still allowed to participate. Seems extremely flexible and lenient to me, I just think you need more experience with it.

        You try all that with E90, and you will get banned permanently.

        If you come here and have a disagreement, but try to explain your reasons why and try to back it up with facts, then you dont get neg repped. Its your ideas and your point of views. But if you come in here attacking people and creating bull$#@! and drama, then most of the people on here are going to team up and neg rep you out of here. We have a very good, well rounded mature group of people here who only neg rep when its and absolutely last resort, and we all try to get along, unlike some other places. Sticky modified this due to some people neg repping people for no reason , just because they didnt like someone.

        If I disagree with someone, I'll try to show my side of the story and why I believe what I believe. But if you call me or someone else and $#@! you will find out very quickly you arent welcome here.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
        Sticky modified this due to some people neg repping people for no reason , just because they didnt like someone.
        Thank you, yes, rep must be spread it isn't that someone can just neg rep and neg rep and neg rep. You are limited and your rep influence is based on your rep power / aka contributions.

        If bimmerpost had this kind of system I would still be posting there.
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        I should be MOD. Rule with iron fist!! Lol
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BattaM3 Click here to enlarge
        I should be MOD. Rule with iron fist!! Lol
        Haha, no offense, this is why we have the rep system, EVERYONE is a mod.
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        I joking. My name being a different color will make
        me awesome. Like m3forum and obioban
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BattaM3 Click here to enlarge
        I joking. My name being a different color will make
        me awesome. Like m3forum and obioban
        Pay me money and I'll make it whatever color you want.
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        Don't hold your breath. Lol. You'll probably make my name pink.