Close

    • The other side of the story regarding Bavarian Solutions and Herrubermensch's (Peter's) forced induction M5 build/motor issues


      Here is the other side of the story that includes pieces from Bavarian Solutions perspective. This information was sent to BimmerBoost anonymously and we will present the information to you to come to your own conclusion. Thus far, Bavarian Solutions has been relatively quiet while many have taken the owners side some having jumped to conclusions. What we present here is inside information to balance out what was been written thus far and provide additional insight which members have requested.

      The owner of the car, Peter, goes by the name Herrubermensch and is a financial/bankruptcy attorney. What we have learned is the owner has bluffed about the motor being disassembled for "forensic" evidence and the car is currently sitting as is at Northeast Motorsports. The owner has been difficult to please and has thrown his weight around as an "attorney" from the beginning. His deal for the built motor was, well, quite the deal. How good? Almost cost on parts and very little on discounted labor. He was in constant communication with Dave at Bavarian Solutions and received quick responses to all of his frequent inquiries, any time of day. We have been told he is difficult to please and demands things to be done his way. Some would describe this as suffering from "attorney syndrome." He makes it very clear to everyone he is an attorney, how important his firm is, how much they bill, etc.

      Now, it is true the first built motor was blown and Bavarian Solutions rebuilt it. However, the cause of the failure has been determined to be a defective bank one VANOS unit. Mike from NorthEast Motorsports verified that the defect caused a binding issue. It would seem Peter (the owner of the car in question) agrees with this assessment. When the motor was spun by hand it would lock and when this happens it causes the pistons to collide with the valves which is obviously not a good thing. Bavarian Solutions received blame for this motor although it is my opinion it should be directed at Dr. Vanos. Bavarian Solutions has stayed out of it and is not slinging mud at anyone even though they are taking heat for a failure caused by something which was not their responsibility.

      The second failure is either a result of the tuner or the installation. We do not definitively know yet as the motor has not been taken apart to determine the point of failure. We will not delve into the pricing and such but the second motor was not done for free and that is the most we can say about that. Due to the VANOS issue not being sorted they decided not to install it on the second motor. There are a couple videos on M5board that show the motor running fine prior to the tuning. There was nothing wrong with the motor at this point except for a rough idle obviously due to the cams not being calibrated. When the oil was analyzed from the second failure after the tuning, there was no copper in it which has to do with the bearings. There was only aluminum and since Bavarian Solutions uses these pistons in their forced induction builds they are familiar what the results look like due to a piston failure from lack of fuel which is what they believe accounts for the aluminum in the oil.

      The tuner was the mysterious Mr. X who has a reputation as a guru. However, why the need for anonymity? All other tuners do not hide behind a secret name. What is the reason for it here? Well, Mr. X's amazing abilities may be a bit overblown. There are two high-dollar failures in South Africa that are attributed to him and he quickly vanished from the scene after the failures, smart move when dealing with big dollar builds in South Africa. This is an area where the anonymity works in his favor as there is apparently a price on his head and a warrant seeking his arrest. There happen to also be a few clients in Puerto Rico who are not too happy with his work. Now the motor ran fine before it was tuned and during the tuning process they heard a loud pop which is documented and they pushed forward.

      So what is the true story here? Well, you decide, but our job is to provide you all the pieces. The first failure it would not appear was the fault of Bavarian Solutions and all parties decided to stay away from the VANOS for a reason it would seem. No copper in the oil of the second failure shows it likely was not a build issue. Dave the owner of Bavarian Solutions offered to take the motor apart at his cost to determine the cause of failure. That speaks of confidence in the build and of a courtesy to the customer even though Bavarian Solutions does not have to do this by any means. In addition, Dave offered to do this disassembly in front of Peter with any witnesses he wished to show there was nothing to hide. Peter has not taken Bavarian Solutions up on this and instead has decided to flaunt his legal muscle.

      We will keep you updated on any additional developments but this is where things currently stand.
      This article was originally published in forum thread: Bavarian Solutions and Herrubermensch's (Peter) M5 forced induction build - blown motor started by BigM62 View original post
      Comments 343 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        Sticky - what "string of blown motors" by Ruben are you talking about?

        Post some facts please or shut it.
        You know exactly what I'm talking about. This thread right here has a guy with a string of blown motors. That is a fact, so what do you mean?
      1. s62's Avatar
        s62 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You know exactly what I'm talking about. This thread right here has a guy with a string of blown motors. That is a fact, so what do you mean?
        Blown by Ruben? Did you even bother to read his reply regarding his work for Peter? Or what Peter has stated?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        Blown by Ruben? Did you even bother to read his reply regarding his work for Peter? Or what Peter has stated?
        I read the whole thread and participated in it along with information I received that did not just come from Ruben or Peter.

        Did you bother reading what I wrote?
      1. s62's Avatar
        s62 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I read the whole thread and participated in it along with information I received that did not just come from Ruben or Peter.

        Did you bother reading what I wrote?
        Yes I have and you have not by any means been able to show how Ruben ruined
        anything. You seem to be intent on believing it (or believe someone who told you).

        So I challenge you - go through each problem Peter had with his motor and PROVE
        that Ruben managed to do it by tuning it wrong.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        Yes I have and you have not by any means been able to show how Ruben ruined
        anything. You seem to be intent on believing it (or believe someone who told you).
        Not at all, I'm intent on providing BOTH sides which is why Ruben is here and able to defend himself. You come to your own conclusion, I am not stopping you.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        So I challenge you - go through each problem Peter had with his motor and PROVE
        that Ruben managed to do it by tuning it wrong.
        This is not my responsibility. My responsibility is to provide the information to YOU. Then you can decide on your own.
      1. s62's Avatar
        s62 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        This is not my responsibility. My responsibility is to provide the information to YOU. Then you can decide on your own.
        Yes it is your responsibility. If you accuse someone of something - you have to back it up.

        Anything else is just poor character.

        And btw, also try to substatiate your accusations regarding Puerto Rico and South Africa.
        If you cannot - retract them and apologize for slandering.
      1. MagnusKK's Avatar
        MagnusKK -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'm glad you would recommend him but considering if he really was as good as people with single digit post counts and no contributions or evidence are saying he is where is the evidence of it?

        Where are your results? Where are others? Where are these amazing cars? Any 1/4 mile times? Any 60-130 times? Any dyno numbers? Because last I saw a car with BavSol parts was tearing up the drag strip and setting records. All I see here are some posts offering support out of nowhere.

        That is not to say this guy is not great, but I follow the BMW tuning scene extremely closely, and have seen absolutely nothing other than a string of blown motors now.

        Here you go with hearsay again. Where are these wonderful motors that he blew up? Where are the owners? Something to prove you are not just making hearsay? Why dont you ask the guys that run dailys build by him with and then make comments like that. Even the owner of the car in question admitted Ruben had nothing to do with this. And no1 accused BavSol of anything including Ruben.
        Now be a man and apologize. And no you were not representing both sides of the story. I knew another guy who claimed to do the same as you when he said there are WOMD in Iraq....and he ended being the biggest joke ever to enter the White House.
        I dont know you and you dont know me...but you have to admit your wrong doing or show some facts! Otherwise you are just making a scene and looking bad to the rest of the folks in here.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        Yes it is your responsibility. If you accuse someone of something - you have to back it up.

        Anything else is just poor character.

        And btw, also try to substatiate your accusations regarding Puerto Rico and South Africa.
        If you cannot - retract them and apologize for slandering.
        I haven't really made accusations as much as tried not to make this one sided with Peter essentially bashing BavSol. BavSol has stayed out of it and there clearly are two sides to the story.

        Poor character would just be allowing this one-sided flame fest to go on unabated.

        I will apologize for nothing only say that I have heard there were issues "tuning" in those areas as stated. Whether someone wants to take that as credible is up to them. There is simply way too little information here but with more details I can now dig deeper.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MagnusKK Click here to enlarge
        Here you go with hearsay again. Where are these wonderful motors that he blew up? Where are the owners? Something to prove you are not just making hearsay? Why dont you ask the guys that run dailys build by him with and then make comments like that. Even the owner of the car in question admitted Ruben had nothing to do with this. And no1 accused BavSol of anything including Ruben.
        Now be a man and apologize. And no you were not representing both sides of the story. I knew another guy who claimed to do the same as you when he said there are WOMD in Iraq....and he ended being the biggest joke ever to enter the White House.
        I dont know you and you dont know me...but you have to admit your wrong doing or show some facts! Otherwise you are just making a scene and looking bad to the rest of the folks in here.
        What I know for a fact is after he touched this motor twice it blew twice. You blame mechanicals and those that did the work on the mechanicals blame the tuning. I don't know who is completely at fault or if it is not a combination of both. The possibility for both is there.

        Apologize for what? Are you kidding me? If there was nothing here why is Mr.X trying so hard to portray it a certain way and having his fanboys do the same for him? If anything, I think we need more details.

        What I'm doing is providing the only place where EVERYONE can speak on the topic and you are more than free to say whatever you want just as I am. Two parts to this, not just one.
      1. Jimefam's Avatar
        Jimefam -
        Sticky why would you question a tuner who goes by Mr.X and dislikes disclosing personal info and there is very little evidence of any great engines tuned by him? Seems obvious to me how great he is based on that info we have lol. All jokes aside he clearly didn't blow peters first engine as I don't believe he had touched it when it blew after running 2 minutes. However although he says the piston to wall clearance was off the second engine is atleast partly his fault. I've seen quite a few engines tuned and if it wasn't built by the same person tuning it they check all these things(and usually do even if they did build it) before commencing the heavy lifting on the dyno. After a few minutes of running the engine they should have checked oil and filter and replaced them and then commence the full load pulls. It may not have been detonated to death but specially if he said that after the first motor he had serious doubts about Bavsol he $#@!ed up not being more thorough IMO.
      1. s62's Avatar
        s62 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I haven't really made accusations as much as tried not to make this one sided with Peter essentially bashing BavSol. BavSol has stayed out of it and there clearly are two sides to the story.

        Poor character would just be allowing this one-sided flame fest to go on unabated.

        I will apologize for nothing only say that I have heard there were issues "tuning" in those areas as stated. Whether someone wants to take that as credible is up to them. There is simply way too little information here but with more details I can now dig deeper.
        You feel perfectly ok to say that he has "left a string of blown motors" and all you have for it is "you heard there were issues tuning". That is your proof/data/logic for all this?

        Your agenda/attitude towards Ruben has been very one sided all the way through this thread
        and sure isnīt unbiased like and admin should act.

        You remind me of an former US president that coined the phrase "Let the bastards deny it".
      1. MagnusKK's Avatar
        MagnusKK -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        What I know for a fact is after he touched this motor twice it blew twice. You blame mechanicals and those that did the work on the mechanicals blame the tuning. I don't know who is completely at fault or if it is not a combination of both. The possibility for both is there.

        Apologize for what? Are you kidding me? If there was nothing here why is Mr.X trying so hard to portray it a certain way and having his fanboys do the same for him? If anything, I think we need more details.

        What I'm doing is providing the only place where EVERYONE can speak on the topic and you are more than free to say whatever you want just as I am. Two parts to this, not just one.
        Is this all the proof you have even though you mentioned all those blown engines in South Africa and Puerto Rico?
        And how can you claim you are unbiased when you dont even know the guy or his work and still insist on these imaginary engines you know about? And you call us fanboys? What about you? Are you a Bav.Sol fanboy???
        Dude face up to the facts or walk away with some dignity! We have all challenged you to show proof of what you say and still you said nothing! Even the car owner took his side and you still insist.....
        If you have no proof on your next post you lost your argument in my eyes!
        All i can say is that you are lucky Ruben really is discreet on who his costumers are and what he does. Cause the names he could through in here and the proof he has would put allot of those gurus you mentioned having seen their cars on track etc., out of business!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        You feel perfectly ok to say that he has "left a string of blown motors" and all you have for it is "you heard there were issues tuning". That is your proof/data/logic for all this?
        You seem to be confusing two different topics here for some reason. I heard about issues in Puerto Rico and South Africa. The string of blown motors are in this thread alone with just one person. That isn't a very good track record.

        Why can't you differentiate these things?

        Your agenda/attitude towards Ruben has been very one sided all the way through this thread
        and sure isnīt unbiased like and admin should act.

        You remind me of an former US president that coined the phrase "Let the bastards deny it".
        I don't know Ruben, I have nothing against Ruben, but I will provide all sides. Nobody was standing up and saying maybe the tuning was the issue. In the interest of neutrality I pointed it out as it was completely one sided and also notice that Peter has gone very, very quiet here.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MagnusKK Click here to enlarge
        Is this all the proof you have even though you mentioned all those blown engines in South Africa and Puerto Rico?
        And how can you claim you are unbiased when you dont even know the guy or his work and still insist on these imaginary engines you know about? And you call us fanboys? What about you? Are you a Bav.Sol fanboy???
        Dude face up to the facts or walk away with some dignity! We have all challenged you to show proof of what you say and still you said nothing! Even the car owner took his side and you still insist.....
        If you have no proof on your next post you lost your argument in my eyes!
        All i can say is that you are lucky Ruben really is discreet on who his costumers are and what he does. Cause the names he could through in here and the proof he has would put allot of those gurus you mentioned having seen their cars on track etc., out of business!
        I find it very odd the posting by both of you is treated like gospel. Where are your results? Proof of them? Where is all this great tuning? Two guys with single digit post counts are vouching for someone who goes by the name Mr.X? Seriously? This is bizarre.

        I actually know quite a bit about this particular motor that is the topic of this thread. Regarding all his other work, I know nothing about it and looks like nobody else does either because there are no posted results.

        Why don't you show some proof about how great this guy is beyond your text? I have proof right here in this thread that this guy tuned a motor and it blew. Whether that is his fault or the fault of the engine builder I do not know but the result is pretty clear, blown motor. That is far more "proof" than anything you have provided.

        Ruben is going to put everyone out of business? Maybe a first step would be showing a successfully tuned forced induction BMW application before we anoint him the tuning king?
      1. Itsbrokeagain's Avatar
        Itsbrokeagain -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I don't know Ruben, I have nothing against Ruben, but I will provide all sides. Nobody was standing up and saying maybe the tuning was the issue. In the interest of neutrality I pointed it out as it was completely one sided and also notice that Peter has gone very, very quiet here.
        Well Peter also runs a law firm here in NYC I take it? Im sure he is up to his eyeballs in work, not all of us have time to jump on here and see what people are saying. Im sure this car has been put on the backburner a bit as he prolly has more important things to take care of at the moment.

        Isnt Dirt11's motor tuned by Ruben? That thing runs great...aside from all the issues he kept having with the guys who built the engine.

        I can see why Ruben is a little bit ticked...we cant prove he blew up the second engine. It was built and had a few mismatched specs and even before he made any kind of heavy pass it blew up. Any car that isnt tuned right and not under load will not blow up due to the tune..sure it might run like a bag of $#@!, but it definetly wouldnt put metal into the pan...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
        I can see why Ruben is a little bit ticked...we cant prove he blew up the second engine. It was built and had a few mismatched specs and even before he made any kind of heavy pass it blew up. Any car that isnt tuned right and not under load will not blow up due to the tune..sure it might run like a bag of $#@!, but it definetly wouldnt put metal into the pan...
        That is perfectly fine, he is more than free to provide his perspective. Would be nice for him to do it maturely though.
      1. Itsbrokeagain's Avatar
        Itsbrokeagain -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That is perfectly fine, he is more than free to provide his perspective. Would be nice for him to do it maturely though.
        well if I had just gotten wind of all this and saw you implying that it was me that blew up the motors I would be really pissed too..i have lashed out at a few customers here and there for coming into the shop making accusations about cars Ive never touched or work Ive never done for them...its all hearsay and gets everyone riled up. I know it might be good for internet traffic but it comes off as silly.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
        well if I had just gotten wind of all this and saw you implying that it was me that blew up the motors I would be really pissed too..i have lashed out at a few customers here and there for coming into the shop making accusations about cars Ive never touched or work Ive never done for them...its all hearsay and gets everyone riled up. I know it might be good for internet traffic but it comes off as silly.
        It is silly since we are working with basically nothing here. We have so many pages yet basically are where we started with accusations from both sides. At least we have some more info on who this Mr.X is now.

        Anyway, it's fine, I don't take it to heart and if he is upset I understand his position.
      1. DallasM5's Avatar
        DallasM5 -
        lol at how little sticky really knows.

        and lol^23423412837483457348573 at mr.x tunes blowing up cars.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasM5 Click here to enlarge
        lol at how little sticky really knows.

        and lol^23423412837483457348573 at mr.x tunes blowing up cars.
        Any idiot can just write "lol" in their post with no substance. Reference your post for an example.