Close

    • The other side of the story regarding Bavarian Solutions and Herrubermensch's (Peter's) forced induction M5 build/motor issues


      Here is the other side of the story that includes pieces from Bavarian Solutions perspective. This information was sent to BimmerBoost anonymously and we will present the information to you to come to your own conclusion. Thus far, Bavarian Solutions has been relatively quiet while many have taken the owners side some having jumped to conclusions. What we present here is inside information to balance out what was been written thus far and provide additional insight which members have requested.

      The owner of the car, Peter, goes by the name Herrubermensch and is a financial/bankruptcy attorney. What we have learned is the owner has bluffed about the motor being disassembled for "forensic" evidence and the car is currently sitting as is at Northeast Motorsports. The owner has been difficult to please and has thrown his weight around as an "attorney" from the beginning. His deal for the built motor was, well, quite the deal. How good? Almost cost on parts and very little on discounted labor. He was in constant communication with Dave at Bavarian Solutions and received quick responses to all of his frequent inquiries, any time of day. We have been told he is difficult to please and demands things to be done his way. Some would describe this as suffering from "attorney syndrome." He makes it very clear to everyone he is an attorney, how important his firm is, how much they bill, etc.

      Now, it is true the first built motor was blown and Bavarian Solutions rebuilt it. However, the cause of the failure has been determined to be a defective bank one VANOS unit. Mike from NorthEast Motorsports verified that the defect caused a binding issue. It would seem Peter (the owner of the car in question) agrees with this assessment. When the motor was spun by hand it would lock and when this happens it causes the pistons to collide with the valves which is obviously not a good thing. Bavarian Solutions received blame for this motor although it is my opinion it should be directed at Dr. Vanos. Bavarian Solutions has stayed out of it and is not slinging mud at anyone even though they are taking heat for a failure caused by something which was not their responsibility.

      The second failure is either a result of the tuner or the installation. We do not definitively know yet as the motor has not been taken apart to determine the point of failure. We will not delve into the pricing and such but the second motor was not done for free and that is the most we can say about that. Due to the VANOS issue not being sorted they decided not to install it on the second motor. There are a couple videos on M5board that show the motor running fine prior to the tuning. There was nothing wrong with the motor at this point except for a rough idle obviously due to the cams not being calibrated. When the oil was analyzed from the second failure after the tuning, there was no copper in it which has to do with the bearings. There was only aluminum and since Bavarian Solutions uses these pistons in their forced induction builds they are familiar what the results look like due to a piston failure from lack of fuel which is what they believe accounts for the aluminum in the oil.

      The tuner was the mysterious Mr. X who has a reputation as a guru. However, why the need for anonymity? All other tuners do not hide behind a secret name. What is the reason for it here? Well, Mr. X's amazing abilities may be a bit overblown. There are two high-dollar failures in South Africa that are attributed to him and he quickly vanished from the scene after the failures, smart move when dealing with big dollar builds in South Africa. This is an area where the anonymity works in his favor as there is apparently a price on his head and a warrant seeking his arrest. There happen to also be a few clients in Puerto Rico who are not too happy with his work. Now the motor ran fine before it was tuned and during the tuning process they heard a loud pop which is documented and they pushed forward.

      So what is the true story here? Well, you decide, but our job is to provide you all the pieces. The first failure it would not appear was the fault of Bavarian Solutions and all parties decided to stay away from the VANOS for a reason it would seem. No copper in the oil of the second failure shows it likely was not a build issue. Dave the owner of Bavarian Solutions offered to take the motor apart at his cost to determine the cause of failure. That speaks of confidence in the build and of a courtesy to the customer even though Bavarian Solutions does not have to do this by any means. In addition, Dave offered to do this disassembly in front of Peter with any witnesses he wished to show there was nothing to hide. Peter has not taken Bavarian Solutions up on this and instead has decided to flaunt his legal muscle.

      We will keep you updated on any additional developments but this is where things currently stand.
      This article was originally published in forum thread: Bavarian Solutions and Herrubermensch's (Peter) M5 forced induction build - blown motor started by BigM62 View original post
      Comments 343 Comments
      1. s62's Avatar
        s62 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Guess I just like to make things up:
        He told me he had tried to register and was rejected and you can see clearly from the context he did not realize
        the "Sticky" is the same as "Admin". Did you make him a working login?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        He told me he had tried to register and was rejected and you can see clearly from the context he did not realize
        the "Sticky" is the same as "Admin". Did you make him a working login?
        Ah, I thought maybe you were thinking I was lying.

        I never received a response. I said I would be more than happy to create one.
      1. s62's Avatar
        s62 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Ah, I thought maybe you were thinking I was lying.

        I never received a response. I said I would be more than happy to create one.
        Yes please - create one and send to him.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        Yes please - create one and send to him.
        I will gladly, just not sure what the username should be.
      1. s62's Avatar
        s62 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I will gladly, just not sure what the username should be.
        He wanted "RubenK".
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        He wanted "RubenK".
        Alritey.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Done.
      1. RubenK's Avatar
        RubenK -
        What a bunch of useless incompentent writers you have in this forum, even a simple thing as getting a username was a joke!!!

        My name is Ruben Kjeldsen... my passport no is 204042523 and is indeed danish.. country of residence is Hong Kong been so since 2005.. my current location is Singapore where i arrived the 2nd of sept. and have been staying at St. Regis since so if any one of you geeks are around ill be happy to invite you for food in the famous arab street and tell you about how engines work!!!

        Regarding my undercover name, its none of your business i find it you are simply not worthy to know....

        Again im stunned over how companys in america sets out school boy troops to do a worriors job... take this geek sticky who seems to be kissing ass at some company so he hope to get a sticker in return for his bumper because clearly it cant be because he wants to up his know how on engines and tuning.. again geeks at this forum googles too much and your know how seems to really suffer from this!!!

        If i was to comment on Peters engine i think companys saw him as a rich guy who could pay for a development adventure they knew $#@! all about!!! i only saw the last engine and a company who doesnt know how to calculate and meassure clearence between piston and cylinder wall really shouldnt be in business if you ask me.. IF IT WAS ME who had made such an error i would come clean and say yes damn im sorry its my fault and just rebore and fit correct size pistons instead of blaming half the world...
        I felt so bad for Peter mainly because i felt that i should have said stop earlier since i had a bad feeling about the whole project once we ran it just in road simulation on the dyno... so i offered to build him a new sleeved blok with pistons at my costs but he went another route and im sure that willl work out ok too...

        To Peter : Best of luck
        To S62 : Thank you for helping out
        To Sticky : Piss of you idiot...
      1. M3GTtt's Avatar
        M3GTtt -
        I guess this clears things up ?
      1. angelic0-'s Avatar
        angelic0- -
        Great post Ruben

        When can we expect your next visit to Iceland? I might have a E34 for you to look over, i was very satisfied with the work you did on a E60 i purchased. (530d Orientblaumetallic, you might remember you were shooting for ~270hp but dyno said 322hp)

        But back on topic, i think that Ruben is 100% right, if a company screws up clearance between piston and cylinder wall shouldn't really be handling such high performance engines, but we will always have to look at the human factor... we all make mistakes, some are small other are big, everyone can make mistakes but not everyone can make up for them Click here to enlarge
      1. MagnusKK's Avatar
        MagnusKK -
        I am sorry this is my first post but after reading this i simply felt i had to reply.
        My name is Magnus.

        In all my years i have met many great or sometimes not so great tuners including some great names.
        I had the great pleasure of meeting Ruben my self.
        I can safely say though that when it comes to engine building and mapping Ruben is by far the best and down to earth tuner i have met.
        To say that he knows his stuff is an understatement!!!
        I always considered my self above most when it comes to automotive and motorsport knowledge until i met him.
        I simply can not believe there is doubt on this.
        If you ask me where the proof is why dont you ask some of the major tuners out there that call him when they dont know what to do?
        I will not mention names or point fingers. All i know is that regardless what I will own and drive in the future, i can only hope that Ruben will be available to tune and work on it!
        Anyone who knows cars should know what the real problem was simply by watching the first vid.

        On top of that and I want to stress this I have met another tuner that goes with the name Mr.X too. I used to assume it was the same guy but after meeting Ruben I can assure you it is not.
        The other Mr.X is bald(or at least shaved head) and is Swedish in nationality. I have no comments to make on this guy other that at the time I met him he owned an E39 M5 that he was about to supercharge. It may be a case of mistaken identity.


        The fact Sticky posted what appears to be an answer of Bavarian motors may be explained by that.
        And as a third party I ask this….What are the cases they are talking about and where is the proof?
        If there is proof I would like to know of this cases with facts…….otherwise I can come in and say the same for B.Solutions…..its called hearsay!!!!
        At the end of the day the owner of the car that had the issues can say who was and who wasn’t right.
        But throwing comments like that are both immature and irresponsible! I for one would have a good excuse to press charges on this!

        And in the case their facts are not right...they just shot themselves in the leg!!! Rubens details and name are out. Now lets see these cases in S.Africa and Puerto Rico.....

        Regardless though Ruben (The real Mr. X) is in my eyes the best out there, and I would recommend him any day!!!!!
      1. BigM62's Avatar
        BigM62 -
        Ruben may be a great tuner, but his people skills suck as far as his first post. Get off your high horse Ruben, it is not like you are a brain surgeon for God's sake. Sticky has never attacked or denounced you, we just did get the whole ," Oh look at me I know Mr.X " thing. If you are as good as some say, then congratulations on your excellent tuning skills. And I assume you don't give a rat's ass about what people say about you on forums and they are beneath you. Wait! Hold the presses! You just did just join to post, so I quess forums to matter to you. I quess the "Mr.X in-crowd" is surrounding the wagon!
      1. s62's Avatar
        s62 -
        BigM62 - I suggest you read this thread again and ask yourself if Sticky has been unbiased.
      1. MagnusKK's Avatar
        MagnusKK -
        I am sorry there Big M62 but i have to disagree with you.
        See things from Rubens side. He gets calls and emails about someone mentioning cases he did wrong with no proof. And debates about why he is afraid to say his name. He comes in and gives his full details and sets things straight. So i dont see how he is on a high horse.
        I would say that some folks should apologize to him and put their words where their mouth is. How would you like it if say you were in the building/construction business and someone came and said i hear this BigM62 guy build a house in Nicaragua and it collapsed.....and had no solid proof to back it up???? Would you be happy?
      1. MagnusKK's Avatar
        MagnusKK -
        oooooh and fyi.....this is biased when you dont actually know or worked with him:

        and i quote:

        - He is not universally regarded as the top tuner, he simply had somewhat of an internet reputation which popped. Please show me the body of evidence to corroborate this claim of being universally accepted as a top tuner. Last I checked, the real top tuners in the BMW world don't hide as they run reputable businesses and can easily be found. Mr. X' expert "tuning" bubble seems to have popped especially with your motor going... twice. -
      1. M3GTtt's Avatar
        M3GTtt -
        I can understand that he felt compelled to join the forum and answer these nonsense stories of being a wanted man with a price to his head and that he blew up this S62 not once but twice, and I do understand that he was a bit "fired up" about it which was relayd in his first post. I do however think that he must have been seriously angry when writing it, because its not a side i have seen before,,, except after he saw what had been done to my engine last February.

        Please bear that in mind when reading his reply.

        I would say (from experience) that he cares a lot about his customers, and does not care much for comments from other people he does not know and do not know him or his work.

        Can we now give this a rest.
      1. RubenK's Avatar
        RubenK -
        Hi

        Since there seems to be a link between my work and peters engine blowing up I can clear up things a bit by saying the first time it went i didnt even get a chance to see the car!! Peter came to my hotel where i arrived late the night before and said the session was somewhat postponed :-) and we agreed that i should try to find time once the error was corrected..
        The next visit was the fatal one where the engine was very hard to work with since the pistons locked towards the cylinder walls!
        The guys at the dyno did find me a bit strange when i wanted the car of the dyno to check plugs coils and compression test.. but all showed ok!! it wasnt until i saw the oil (silver paint) and the oilfilter was cut open only to find alu shavings i knew what was wrong..

        Its always difficult to work with other engine builders engines and believe me i do take care before pushing anything to the limit but this wasnt easy to see coming..

        I really dont have time to sit and write all this i should have been in bed long ago so im signing off now..

        take care and fyi i dont know anyone in Porto Rico and i have never tuned a road car in South Africa.. in fact cartuning is not anything at all I do for a living, I leave all the gurus to do that... ;-)
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RubenK Click here to enlarge
        What a bunch of useless incompentent writers you have in this forum, even a simple thing as getting a username was a joke!!!
        <br>

        Way to introduce yourself, welcome. I can already tell you are a level headed guy.

        Getting a username is pretty simple. Many tuners other than you have figured it out...

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RubenK Click here to enlarge
        My name is Ruben Kjeldsen... my passport no is 204042523 and is indeed danish.. country of residence is Hong Kong been so since 2005.. my current location is Singapore where i arrived the 2nd of sept. and have been staying at St. Regis since so if any one of you geeks are around ill be happy to invite you for food in the famous arab street and tell you about how engines work!!!
        There we go, some concrete info.

        Never been to Singapore but if I go I'll be sure to let you know.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RubenK Click here to enlarge
        Again im stunned over how companys in america sets out school boy troops to do a worriors job... take this geek sticky who seems to be kissing ass at some company so he hope to get a sticker in return for his bumper because clearly it cant be because he wants to up his know how on engines and tuning.. again geeks at this forum googles too much and your know how seems to really suffer from this!!!
        A sticker for my bumper? Maybe stick to tuning as hopefully that works out better than your insults?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RubenK Click here to enlarge
        If i was to comment on Peters engine i think companys saw him as a rich guy who could pay for a development adventure they knew $#@! all about!!! i only saw the last engine and a company who doesnt know how to calculate and meassure clearence between piston and cylinder wall really shouldnt be in business if you ask me.. IF IT WAS ME who had made such an error i would come clean and say yes damn im sorry its my fault and just rebore and fit correct size pistons instead of blaming half the world...

        I felt so bad for Peter mainly because i felt that i should have said stop earlier since i had a bad feeling about the whole project once we ran it just in road simulation on the dyno... so i offered to build him a new sleeved blok with pistons at my costs but he went another route and im sure that willl work out ok too...

        To Peter : Best of luck
        To S62 : Thank you for helping out
        To Sticky : Piss of you idiot...
        Thanks for your sharing your side of the story. You did it so eloquently, and with so much evidence to support you. By the way, I'm the idiot who set up the account for this genius who couldn't figure out the oh so complicated registration process that is basically universal on all vbulletin forums. Ours is even more simplified as we do not require anything other than the basic fields or any human verification.

        As far as pissing off? Oh, now I go digging for more info and see how far the rabbit hole goes. Best of luck to you.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MagnusKK Click here to enlarge
        The fact Sticky posted what appears to be an answer of Bavarian motors may be explained by that.
        And as a third party I ask this….What are the cases they are talking about and where is the proof?
        If there is proof I would like to know of this cases with facts…….otherwise I can come in and say the same for B.Solutions…..its called hearsay!!!!
        At the end of the day the owner of the car that had the issues can say who was and who wasn’t right.
        But throwing comments like that are both immature and irresponsible! I for one would have a good excuse to press charges on this!

        And in the case their facts are not right...they just shot themselves in the leg!!! Rubens details and name are out. Now lets see these cases in S.Africa and Puerto Rico.....

        Regardless though Ruben (The real Mr. X) is in my eyes the best out there, and I would recommend him any day!!!!!
        I'm glad you would recommend him but considering if he really was as good as people with single digit post counts and no contributions or evidence are saying he is where is the evidence of it?

        Where are your results? Where are others? Where are these amazing cars? Any 1/4 mile times? Any 60-130 times? Any dyno numbers? Because last I saw a car with BavSol parts was tearing up the drag strip and setting records. All I see here are some posts offering support out of nowhere.

        That is not to say this guy is not great, but I follow the BMW tuning scene extremely closely, and have seen absolutely nothing other than a string of blown motors now.
      1. s62's Avatar
        s62 -
        Sticky - what "string of blown motors" by Ruben are you talking about?

        Post some facts please or shut it.