Close

    • The other side of the story regarding Bavarian Solutions and Herrubermensch's (Peter's) forced induction M5 build/motor issues


      Here is the other side of the story that includes pieces from Bavarian Solutions perspective. This information was sent to BimmerBoost anonymously and we will present the information to you to come to your own conclusion. Thus far, Bavarian Solutions has been relatively quiet while many have taken the owners side some having jumped to conclusions. What we present here is inside information to balance out what was been written thus far and provide additional insight which members have requested.

      The owner of the car, Peter, goes by the name Herrubermensch and is a financial/bankruptcy attorney. What we have learned is the owner has bluffed about the motor being disassembled for "forensic" evidence and the car is currently sitting as is at Northeast Motorsports. The owner has been difficult to please and has thrown his weight around as an "attorney" from the beginning. His deal for the built motor was, well, quite the deal. How good? Almost cost on parts and very little on discounted labor. He was in constant communication with Dave at Bavarian Solutions and received quick responses to all of his frequent inquiries, any time of day. We have been told he is difficult to please and demands things to be done his way. Some would describe this as suffering from "attorney syndrome." He makes it very clear to everyone he is an attorney, how important his firm is, how much they bill, etc.

      Now, it is true the first built motor was blown and Bavarian Solutions rebuilt it. However, the cause of the failure has been determined to be a defective bank one VANOS unit. Mike from NorthEast Motorsports verified that the defect caused a binding issue. It would seem Peter (the owner of the car in question) agrees with this assessment. When the motor was spun by hand it would lock and when this happens it causes the pistons to collide with the valves which is obviously not a good thing. Bavarian Solutions received blame for this motor although it is my opinion it should be directed at Dr. Vanos. Bavarian Solutions has stayed out of it and is not slinging mud at anyone even though they are taking heat for a failure caused by something which was not their responsibility.

      The second failure is either a result of the tuner or the installation. We do not definitively know yet as the motor has not been taken apart to determine the point of failure. We will not delve into the pricing and such but the second motor was not done for free and that is the most we can say about that. Due to the VANOS issue not being sorted they decided not to install it on the second motor. There are a couple videos on M5board that show the motor running fine prior to the tuning. There was nothing wrong with the motor at this point except for a rough idle obviously due to the cams not being calibrated. When the oil was analyzed from the second failure after the tuning, there was no copper in it which has to do with the bearings. There was only aluminum and since Bavarian Solutions uses these pistons in their forced induction builds they are familiar what the results look like due to a piston failure from lack of fuel which is what they believe accounts for the aluminum in the oil.

      The tuner was the mysterious Mr. X who has a reputation as a guru. However, why the need for anonymity? All other tuners do not hide behind a secret name. What is the reason for it here? Well, Mr. X's amazing abilities may be a bit overblown. There are two high-dollar failures in South Africa that are attributed to him and he quickly vanished from the scene after the failures, smart move when dealing with big dollar builds in South Africa. This is an area where the anonymity works in his favor as there is apparently a price on his head and a warrant seeking his arrest. There happen to also be a few clients in Puerto Rico who are not too happy with his work. Now the motor ran fine before it was tuned and during the tuning process they heard a loud pop which is documented and they pushed forward.

      So what is the true story here? Well, you decide, but our job is to provide you all the pieces. The first failure it would not appear was the fault of Bavarian Solutions and all parties decided to stay away from the VANOS for a reason it would seem. No copper in the oil of the second failure shows it likely was not a build issue. Dave the owner of Bavarian Solutions offered to take the motor apart at his cost to determine the cause of failure. That speaks of confidence in the build and of a courtesy to the customer even though Bavarian Solutions does not have to do this by any means. In addition, Dave offered to do this disassembly in front of Peter with any witnesses he wished to show there was nothing to hide. Peter has not taken Bavarian Solutions up on this and instead has decided to flaunt his legal muscle.

      We will keep you updated on any additional developments but this is where things currently stand.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Bavarian Solutions and Herrubermensch's (Peter) M5 forced induction build - blown motor started by BigM62 View original post
      Comments 343 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
        It is too funny to read on M5Bored, how grown men with E39 M5's actually believe Raza (aka-the nut dropper) and his Texas size cow dung. Jon has Raza down pretty good. And the reason a lot of M5Bored members believe in Raza is because they have more money than common sense.
        When have M5board members ever been considered technical or knowledgeable? These are the same people who wanted me banned for telling them the E39 M5 wasn't faster than the E92 M3. It doesn't matter if you tell them the truth or prove it, they live and die by the M5's imagined superiority.
      1. M3GTtt's Avatar
        M3GTtt -
        Sorry guys for the smal deviation from topic.

        Sticky, I'm not here to collect enemies but I for one haf had some experience working with Mr.X and I would like to share it with you.

        He has tuned my M3 GT Twin Turbo twice, first session was afther the intial install of the Version 1. of the kit. The car ran probably about 10k km very reliably on the OEM Bosch ECU untill I decided to go for a fully built motor since I was running the stock internals which were a bit tired.
        At version 2, fully built motor and new exhaust manifolds, I flew Mr.X down here again and again he came through, even helping my mechanic finalising the build installing the motor and tuning all in less than 18 hours. The car ran very reliably untill I started screwing around with the boostcontroler I had just installed, adding much more boost than the car was tuned for and in the end I blew the HG after about 8k km (I think) which much of was on tracks and in high load. So totally my fault.

        He has also tuned other cars for my friends with very good result.

        Your information on Mr.X is not from personal experience (from my reading), but mine is, and I can tell you that he is very qualified. My regular local mechanic (a true car nut) was compleatly blown away by his knowledge and skills, so much that he has been begging me to bring him back so that Mr.X can work on his car. He compeates in hillclimbs and similar events.

        On a further note I did rebuild my engine after blowing the MLS gasket and it ran fine, I than wanted to bring the car to a friend in the UK for some tuning (not Mr.X) and that ended up with that tuner detonating the engine to a total loss. I for one have been beating my head against the wall for taking the car to the UK and not sticking with Mr.X and his world class ability.

        I have referred him to other Tuners/builders/amatures and they have always recieved good service, safe but powerfull tunes and reliability that you rarely experience with aftermarket installs and tunes.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
        Your information on Mr.X is not from personal experience (from my reading), but mine is, and I can tell you that he is very qualified. My regular local mechanic (a true car nut) was compleatly blown away by his knowledge and skills, so much that he has been begging me to bring him back so that Mr.X can work on his car. He compeates in hillclimbs and similar events.
        You are correct I do not have personal experience with him and I appreciate you sharing yours.
      1. M3GTtt's Avatar
        M3GTtt -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You are correct I do not have personal experience with him and I appreciate you sharing yours.
        No problem, I just felt this was a bit one sided.

        br,
        Sven
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
        Sorry guys for the smal deviation from topic.

        Sticky, I'm not here to collect enemies but I for one haf had some experience working with Mr.X and I would like to share it with you.

        He has tuned my M3 GT Twin Turbo twice, first session was afther the intial install of the Version 1. of the kit. The car ran probably about 10k km very reliably on the OEM Bosch ECU untill I decided to go for a fully built motor since I was running the stock internals which were a bit tired.
        At version 2, fully built motor and new exhaust manifolds, I flew Mr.X down here again and again he came through, even helping my mechanic finalising the build installing the motor and tuning all in less than 18 hours. The car ran very reliably untill I started screwing around with the boostcontroler I had just installed, adding much more boost than the car was tuned for and in the end I blew the HG after about 8k km (I think) which much of was on tracks and in high load. So totally my fault.

        He has also tuned other cars for my friends with very good result.

        Your information on Mr.X is not from personal experience (from my reading), but mine is, and I can tell you that he is very qualified. My regular local mechanic (a true car nut) was compleatly blown away by his knowledge and skills, so much that he has been begging me to bring him back so that Mr.X can work on his car. He compeates in hillclimbs and similar events.

        On a further note I did rebuild my engine after blowing the MLS gasket and it ran fine, I than wanted to bring the car to a friend in the UK for some tuning (not Mr.X) and that ended up with that tuner detonating the engine to a total loss. I for one have been beating my head against the wall for taking the car to the UK and not sticking with Mr.X and his world class ability.

        I have referred him to other Tuners/builders/amatures and they have always recieved good service, safe but powerfull tunes and reliability that you rarely experience with aftermarket installs and tunes.
        Great Post!

        Thanks for taking the time to lay all that out there....I always wondered what your tuning history was. (In between drooling over your Carbon/Carbon brakes)
      1. BigM62's Avatar
        BigM62 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        You are correct I do not have personal experience with him and I appreciate you sharing yours.
        Same here, I only know about X from what I have read. But really, why all the cloak and dagger stuff? Does the mystery make him a better tuner?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
        Same here, I only know about X from what I have read. But really, why all the cloak and dagger stuff? Does the mystery make him a better tuner?
        To me, it looks like something to hide. I don't like it and it doesn't smell right.
      1. M3GTtt's Avatar
        M3GTtt -
        No mistery, why not go by your own name in the forums? why Sticky and BigM62, isn't it just a choice we make, usually to control access. I noticed that you Sticki found it a bit strange that Herrubermench posted his real name and contact details in this thread, and I agree, that can turn really ugly with all the spam and stuff that it can generate.

        Everyone Mr.X deals with knows his name, but he only works for individuals by referrals as I understand it, I managed to get him to do work for me through a friend that has a Twin Supercharged fully built E39M5 among other things.
        This is probably done to avoid non paying customers for example. If you only deal with people that are known by other people you have worked for, and they are willing to back up the reputation of the new customer then it makes at least for a more secure payment. When you are flying all over the world to tune, specially for individuals, you do not want to show up and there is nobody there or no willingness to pay the agreed price. You can soon run into situations where the travel cost from non paying customers will eat all profit from other jobs. But this is only speculation on my behalf, but makes perfect sense.

        Its not like he shows up with a mask and a voice scramler Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
        No mistery, why not go by your own name in the forums? why Sticky and BigM62
        No secret what my name is, I tell people. We use screennames by default on forums. Tuners on the other hand usually have a business and name so you know where and who to reach. Kind of different, right?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
        Everyone Mr.X deals with knows his name, but he only works for individuals by referrals as I understand it, I managed to get him to do work for me through a friend that has a Twin Supercharged fully built E39M5 among other things.
        Interesting, would like to get some details on your friends car.
      1. M3GTtt's Avatar
        M3GTtt -
        And for the record, I have done some dealings with Bavarian Solutions and it was flawless, specially the communication which was excellent and questions answered almost instantly!

        Look for Blue Thunder on M5Board, I dont think he has any info here, amazing build story ! I didn't find the build thread though, but many different threads on the car.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3GTtt Click here to enlarge
        And for the record, I have done some dealings with Bavarian Solutions and it was flawless, specially the communication which was excellent and questions answered almost instantly!
        Good to know as well.

        Look for Blue Thunder on M5Board, I dont think he has any info here, amazing build story ! I didn't find the build thread though, but many different threads on the car.
        I'll look into it and repost it here if I find anything.
      1. s62's Avatar
        s62 -
        Not a build thread on m5board on my car but there is one on Pistonheads, donīt have the reputation to post it here.

        As for Mr. X, I have known him since 2006 and some of the comments here about him make me lol Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        As for Mr. X, I have known him since 2006 and some of the comments here about him make me lol
        Then refute him. The problem is everything is basically hearsay. Some guys say they have good experience, some say they are bad, who knows what the truth really is. All I know is I can't go to the guys shop to find him and he uses a name that hides his identity. That isn't exactly inviting.
      1. s62's Avatar
        s62 -
        He does not have a shop where people can walk in.

        He works all over the world with race teams and car manufacturers, that is his main focus.
        His clients know how to reach him so that is not a problem.

        Anyways, he is aware of this thread and the allegations made.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        Anyways, he is aware of this thread and the allegations made.
        I know that, considering he e-mailed me about it.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        He does not have a shop where people can walk in.

        He works all over the world with race teams and car manufacturers, that is his main focus.
        His clients know how to reach him so that is not a problem.
        Well I don't know how to reach him. Is it too much to ask for a name? You know, like normal and reputable people provide?
      1. s62's Avatar
        s62 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Well I don't know how to reach him. Is it too much to ask for a name? You know, like normal and reputable people provide?
        Itīs his choice to have it this way. Does not mean he is a crook. Get over it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        Itīs his choice to have it this way. Does not mean he is a crook. Get over it.
        I didn't say he was a crook. I said I do not know how to reach him and neither do others giving the appearance of someone who does not want to be found if something goes wrong. If he works with so many professional race teams, I find it odd he isn't better known.
      1. s62's Avatar
        s62 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I didn't say he was a crook. I said I do not know how to reach him and neither do others giving the appearance of someone who does not want to be found if something goes wrong. If he works with so many professional race teams, I find it odd he isn't better known.
        His clients know where to find him so donīt worry about that.
        He is know well enough to have more than enough work.

        And btw, you commented earlier:

        "I know that, considering he e-mailed me about it. "

        I just spoke with him and he says he has never sent you an email. Hmmm...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by s62 Click here to enlarge
        His clients know where to find him so donīt worry about that.
        He is know well enough to have more than enough work.

        And btw, you commented earlier:

        "I know that, considering he e-mailed me about it. "

        I just spoke with him and he says he has never sent you an email. Hmmm...
        Guess I just like to make things up:

        Feel free to register. If you are having an issue registering just tell me
        what you want your name to be and I will create an account for you.

        - Admin

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Ruben @ BimmerBoost
        Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 7:52 PM
        To: Administrator@bimmerboost.com
        Subject: BimmerBoost Contact Us Form - Registration Problem

        The following message was sent to you via the BimmerBoost Contact Us form by
        Ruben ( mailto:ruben@zestpowerengineering.com ).

        --------------------------------

        I would like to register since there has been written stuff about me on this
        forum that is not true and i would like to correct it.. I sometimes go under
        the name Mr.X


        http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...924#post109924

        I dont knwo who that guy source is ha ha but i feel like i need to
        comment...
        Even RMS has work...
      1. Mikecoupe's Avatar
        Mikecoupe -
        What a BS about this "Mr.X",if you have a good reputation and you have nothing to hide why not tell your name if you do a good job?.

        I know a few tuners and they stand behind their work,it is very strange that he wont tell his name because this way you get more and more questions about this MrX