Close

    • High resolution side profile shot of the N20B20 revealing the manifold

      Sorry to give you pictures of the motor in bits and pieces like this, but they are hard to come by. Earlier this month we showed a low resolution picture of the motor. It was the best we had, until now. We have a high resolution side profile shot of the motor revealing some more details. Does not seem to be too large of a turbo sitting in there.


      Previous Image:


      This article was originally published in forum thread: High resolution side profile shot of the N20B20 revealing the manifold started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 27 Comments
      1. mazdaspeed6's Avatar
        mazdaspeed6 -
        looks like it has tons of potential Click here to enlarge
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        I love that exhaust manifold!!
      1. metrik's Avatar
        metrik -
        I would love to see a cutaway shot. That looks like a really well thought out, compact engine. Hopefully the internals and fuel system are strong enough to support replacing the tiny exhaust manifold, turbo, and intercooler and increasing the boost.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        that looks real nice. cant wait till one of those come out and get tuned. gtis might get their asses handed to them haha
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by metrik Click here to enlarge
        I would love to see a cutaway shot. That looks like a really well thought out, compact engine. Hopefully the internals and fuel system are strong enough to support replacing the tiny exhaust manifold, turbo, and intercooler and increasing the boost.
        I'm hoping space constraints aren't going to be a problem on this one.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
        that looks real nice. cant wait till one of those come out and get tuned. gtis might get their asses handed to them haha
        The 2.0T is going to be the main motor I'm interested in seeing how this stacks up to.

        Guys have gotten what, 600 whp out of those?
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        This is gonna be the new 2.0T $#@!es!!!!
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The 2.0T is going to be the main motor I'm interested in seeing how this stacks up to.

        Guys have gotten what, 600 whp out of those?
        yes sir max 2.0t FSI got 650 whp. i think it will be a couple years before this engine will be able to hit those types of power levels
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        If I were RB, Shiv, Terry, CPE etc... I would get my hands on one of these things ASAP; its going to be the next tuner car of the decade. Whoever can offer the first bolt on turbo upgrade plus tune will be banking.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        If I were RB, Shiv, Terry, CPE etc... I would get my hands on one of these things ASAP; its going to be the next tuner car of the decade. Whoever can offer the first bolt on turbo upgrade plus tune will be banking.
        I concur, you sir are correct Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        If I were RB, Shiv, Terry, CPE etc... I would get my hands on one of these things ASAP; its going to be the next tuner car of the decade. Whoever can offer the first bolt on turbo upgrade plus tune will be banking.
        You are definitely correct.
      1. Ryan Mills's Avatar
        Ryan Mills -
        So I see a FAT cylinder head. Man that thing is huge! Reminds me of the older 318's. I never did understand why the engine was so wide. Anyway, it appears to be a chain driven engine, so that's not new for BMW but see what looks like an A/C compressor and not a power steering pump. Are they going electric? Also, is that an electric water pump too? Hmmm. This little guy might be able to bang off 30 MPG no problem. It looks like it also has that funky vaccuum wastegate though. that makes things harder for the aftermarket, right?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
        So I see a FAT cylinder head. Man that thing is huge! Reminds me of the older 318's. I never did understand why the engine was so wide. Anyway, it appears to be a chain driven engine, so that's not new for BMW but see what looks like an A/C compressor and not a power steering pump. Are they going electric? Also, is that an electric water pump too? Hmmm. This little guy might be able to bang off 30 MPG no problem. It looks like it also has that funky vaccuum wastegate though. that makes things harder for the aftermarket, right?
        Interesting insight.

        I don't know if it is just me though but that turbo looks baby sized, just freaking tiny.
      1. Ryan Mills's Avatar
        Ryan Mills -
        It's not the size of the ship, its how you sail it! Here's a picture of a k03 and a k04 from my 2.0t for reference. It looks about the same. The manifold looks a bit better on the BMW though. Click here to enlarge

        I really hope that the turbo can flow like or better than the k04!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        ^ Those look bigger to me but hard to tell really.

        This motor should likely be similar to the 2.0t in many respects, which is a good thing.
      1. fastgti69's Avatar
        fastgti69 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        ^ Those look bigger to me but hard to tell really.

        This motor should likely be similar to the 2.0t in many respects, which is a good thing.
        It is very similar to the TSI and this is a twinschroll type manifold so i like it.

        looking at the k04/k03, damn sticky you're right it the turbos look tiny like the mini cooper s turbos and those turbos are mini sized.
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        The runners to each scroll do look good, I just wish the turbo itself was a bit bigger. No doubt this engine will have a large following, I'm guessing much larger than the N52. It will be a fun motor.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
        The runners to each scroll do look good, I just wish the turbo itself was a bit bigger. No doubt this engine will have a large following, I'm guessing much larger than the N52. It will be a fun motor.
        Will be no comparison to N52. Although with the entry level for boost being pushed down even further I'm afraid the amount of brats with boosted BMW's is going to quadruple.
      1. Ryan Mills's Avatar
        Ryan Mills -
        That's not always a bad thing. Sure, you'll have to fish through a lot of "what should I do to my N20 to make it fast" threads, but it will help the aftermarket for all of us.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
        That's not always a bad thing. Sure, you'll have to fish through a lot of "what should I do to my N20 to make it fast" threads, but it will help the aftermarket for all of us.
        True, more volume but also more of the poorly educated and entitled BMW crowd that doesn't really fit in here. Maybe a good thing though for everyone, we will just have to wait and see. I am excited about the positive prospects.