• E46 M3 and S54 turbo options set to open up thanks to ProEFI and the Pro128 computer

      Let's be honest, the S54 turbo scene has been dominated by Horsepower Freaks. That is not necesassrily a bad thing as they are a high quality option. However, there have not been any tuning options for those wanting to do their own turbo kit or perhaps go in a different direction. Well, ProEFI may be shaking things up considerably. ProEFI has released some initial details of their E46 M3 turbo setup using the Pro128 computer.

      As most of you know, the hardest part of doing a forced induction setup on a naturally aspirated BMW M motor is the tuning. Up until now HPF and their AEM setup was the only consistent solution for a turbo. Jason as ProEFI has demonstrated that an E46 M3 with a custom turbo setup (GT40) and a Pro128 computer has hit 573 whp at 9 psi on stock internals. Impressive? Yes.

      What are the specs on ProEFI's turbo M3? As follows:

      • GT40 Turbo with FMIC
      • E85

      • Flex Fuel Sensor allows for mixes of pump gas or E85

      • Traction Control

      • Stock clutch, exhaust, and intake manifold

      • 1000 cc injectors


      What does this all mean? Well, it means the S54 turbo market may be set to open up. This will no doubt drive costs down and allow for greater variety. Pricing information and further details will come for now we are incredible excited about the potential. Check out the video below:



      This article was originally published in forum thread: ProEFI-tuned Turbo M3 started by spdu4ea View original post
      Comments 313 Comments
      1. spdu4ea's Avatar
        spdu4ea -
        By numbers alone, the N54 and its not even close.

        edit, from wikipedia:

        2007–2010 E90 Sedan 335i
        2007–2010 E91 Touring 335i
        2007–2010 E92 Coupé 335i
        2007–2010 E93 Convertible 335i
        2008–2010 E60 Sedan 535i
        2008–2010 E61 Touring 535i
        2008–2010 E82 Coupé 135i
        2008–2010 E88 Convertible 135i
        2009– F01 Sedan 740i
        2009– BMW X6 xDrive35i
        2009– BMW Z4 sDrive35i
        2011– E92 Coupé 335is
        2011– E93 Convertible 335is
        2012– Morgan Eva GT
        2012– E82 Coupé 1-series M Coupe


        S65 is E9x M3
        S85 is E6x M5/M6
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        I think if you can get this to work on an S65 and S85 and N54 you will have started a revolution.
        This. These are the key, I also would not leave out the S62 which could use a solid option.

        But S85 and S65 are the big ones, although doing the S65 with DCT I doubt is going to be possible. I can dream though...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
        By numbers alone, the N54 and its not even close.

        edit, from wikipedia:

        2007–2010 E90 Sedan 335i
        2007–2010 E91 Touring 335i
        2007–2010 E92 Coupé 335i
        2007–2010 E93 Convertible 335i
        2008–2010 E60 Sedan 535i
        2008–2010 E61 Touring 535i
        2008–2010 E82 Coupé 135i
        2008–2010 E88 Convertible 135i
        2009– F01 Sedan 740i
        2009– BMW X6 xDrive35i
        2009– BMW Z4 sDrive35i
        2011– E92 Coupé 335is
        2011– E93 Convertible 335is
        2012– Morgan Eva GT
        2012– E82 Coupé 1-series M Coupe


        S65 is E9x M3
        S85 is E6x M5/M6
        For volume, yes.

        However, the BMW's that really need it are the S62 and S85.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jason S. Click here to enlarge
        I'm still learning all the body classes...what series and years are those?
        E39 M5 is S62, 4.9 liter V8.

        E60 M5 is the S85, 5.0 liter V10.

        N54 is the 335 market
      1. spdu4ea's Avatar
        spdu4ea -
        I've been playing around some with the Protection settings -- very cool stuff. As a HPDE junkie, I have long wished for a system where I don't need to distract myself monitoring gauges. Wouldn't it be nice if I could just program the computer to flash a light and/or cut power to let me know "lift dumbass something is wrong" so I can just concentrate on driving. I think the proEFI is damn close to this point.

        It even flashes codes like OBD1 so I wouldn't have to carry around a laptop. If I was selling a FI kit, this would be key -- let customers diagnose problems without giving them access to the full tune...
      1. ZooyorQ's Avatar
        ZooyorQ -
        I feel like such a boner asking this but someone once told me that E85 is cheaper, and higher octane but requires more fuel for the same combustion. So in essence you burn fuel faster, its just cheaper (and greener). If thats the case when running at 700+hp wouldn't you need some serious fuel lines/pumps/etc to keep up?

        I have no experience w/E85.
      1. gringotegra's Avatar
        gringotegra -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
        I feel like such a boner asking this but someone once told me that E85 is cheaper, and higher octane but requires more fuel for the same combustion. So in essence you burn fuel faster, its just cheaper (and greener). If thats the case when running at 700+hp wouldn't you need some serious fuel lines/pumps/etc to keep up?

        I have no experience w/E85.
        You use roughly 30% more E85 than regular fuel.. So if you want to make 700whp on E85 youll need roughly a 1000whp fuel system.... so yah you need a good sized fuel system..
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
        I feel like such a boner asking this but someone once told me that E85 is cheaper, and higher octane but requires more fuel for the same combustion. So in essence you burn fuel faster, its just cheaper (and greener). If thats the case when running at 700+hp wouldn't you need some serious fuel lines/pumps/etc to keep up?

        I have no experience w/E85.
        Yes, you need larger injectors for E85. You go through it faster than gasoline because it contains less energy per gallon. You need more of it simply so high HP E85 setups have big injectors and serious fuel pumps.
      1. Jason S.'s Avatar
        Jason S. -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
        I've been playing around some with the Protection settings -- very cool stuff. As a HPDE junkie, I have long wished for a system where I don't need to distract myself monitoring gauges. Wouldn't it be nice if I could just program the computer to flash a light and/or cut power to let me know "lift dumbass something is wrong" so I can just concentrate on driving. I think the proEFI is damn close to this point.

        It even flashes codes like OBD1 so I wouldn't have to carry around a laptop. If I was selling a FI kit, this would be key -- let customers diagnose problems without giving them access to the full tune...
        Your right on line with what our company goals are....protect the engine at all costs. We haven't released it yet, but it is only about a month away. There will be a firmware upgrade (free) that will broadcast all of the OBDII DTC's and PID's so you can monitor the ProEFI as if it were a stock car. This opens up alot for logging options, smart phones, etc....

        If you install all of the failsafes.... oil pressure, fuel pressure, o2 lean conditions, knock, flex fuel, overboost etc... The only way you are going to hurt your engine is something mechanical letting go, or putting a manual trans car in the wrong gear and mechanically overrevving it. The ProEFI will minimize the damage as much as possible. For example: Low oil pressure... trigger a light, drop boost, trigger a limiter. You may have lost your oil pump, but it will prevent you from spinning a bearing and tossing a rod through the side of the block. Click here to enlarge

        In my opinion, these things are a must! The engine is the most expensive thing in the car, and all the data can be there to prevent failures, and can all be programmed in to do so. The factories do it, so why shouldn't the aftermarket! Click here to enlarge ProEFI Does!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Will we be able to use basically whatever hardware we want in building a turbo for the M3?

        I still would like clarification on what exhaust manifold you are using currently.
      1. spdu4ea's Avatar
        spdu4ea -
        The only thing on my wish list is ignition (and fuel if possible) individual cylinder error reporting. Finding which coil (or fuel injector) is blown is no problem for a 4 cylinder, but gets time consuming with 8, 10, 12 cylinders...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
        The only thing on my wish list is ignition (and fuel if possible) individual cylinder error reporting. Finding which coil (or fuel injector) is blown is no problem for a 4 cylinder, but gets time consuming with 8, 10, 12 cylinders...
        That would be great, especially when we start seeing this on BMW motors with higher cylinder counts.
      1. spdu4ea's Avatar
        spdu4ea -
        PS, lets see that 1040whp TT Pantera Click here to enlarge
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        TT e39 m5 would be awesome.
      1. Jason S.'s Avatar
        Jason S. -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Will we be able to use basically whatever hardware we want in building a turbo for the M3?

        I still would like clarification on what exhaust manifold you are using currently.
        Mine is a 1 off manifold built by Evil engineering in tempe.
      1. spdu4ea's Avatar
        spdu4ea -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
        PS, lets see that 1040whp TT Pantera Click here to enlarge
        Click here to enlarge
        Click here to enlarge
        Click here to enlarge
        Click here to enlarge


      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jason S. Click here to enlarge
        Mine is a 1 off manifold built by Evil engineering in tempe.
        Thank you, I'll have to check them out.
      1. Jason S.'s Avatar
        Jason S. -
        For now it looks like we can cover any BMW up to 2006. I need to get some newer cars in to see what we are working with. Anybody know anyone in the phoenix area with a late model M5 or M3??? Click here to enlarge
        The non E46 kits will be made to order (once we get the rest of our parts in) until we see where the volume goes.
      1. BattaM3's Avatar
        BattaM3 -
        E39 m5 twin turbo or sick s/c would be awesome. Seems all those projects die when tuning comes or have problems.
      1. spdu4ea's Avatar
        spdu4ea -
        I'm still telling you N54. Way way way more people mod them, and piggybacks/flashes only go so far (how many companies have built single turbos? how many are actually on the market?). ProEFI can handle 12 injectors -- sounds perfect for 6 DI and 6 external... Plus 2009 or 2010 had the option for DCT so that'd give you even more relatively cheap practice before dealing with the Italian stuff...


        Definitely excited to see what you do with Jim P's HPF stage 2.5. What are your plans for fuel? IIRC the stage 1-2.5 fuel pumps, injectors, and rail are all close to maxed out at ~650rwhp (without meth) so that would be ~450 wheel on E85... And if you're going to be in there, definitely look into a surge tank unless you want to always run >3/4 tank of fuel: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=796841