Close

    • E46 M3 and S54 turbo options set to open up thanks to ProEFI and the Pro128 computer

      Let's be honest, the S54 turbo scene has been dominated by Horsepower Freaks. That is not necesassrily a bad thing as they are a high quality option. However, there have not been any tuning options for those wanting to do their own turbo kit or perhaps go in a different direction. Well, ProEFI may be shaking things up considerably. ProEFI has released some initial details of their E46 M3 turbo setup using the Pro128 computer.

      As most of you know, the hardest part of doing a forced induction setup on a naturally aspirated BMW M motor is the tuning. Up until now HPF and their AEM setup was the only consistent solution for a turbo. Jason as ProEFI has demonstrated that an E46 M3 with a custom turbo setup (GT40) and a Pro128 computer has hit 573 whp at 9 psi on stock internals. Impressive? Yes.

      What are the specs on ProEFI's turbo M3? As follows:

      • GT40 Turbo with FMIC
      • E85

      • Flex Fuel Sensor allows for mixes of pump gas or E85

      • Traction Control

      • Stock clutch, exhaust, and intake manifold

      • 1000 cc injectors


      What does this all mean? Well, it means the S54 turbo market may be set to open up. This will no doubt drive costs down and allow for greater variety. Pricing information and further details will come for now we are incredible excited about the potential. Check out the video below:



      This article was originally published in forum thread: ProEFI-tuned Turbo M3 started by spdu4ea View original post
      Comments 313 Comments
      1. Apex Speed Technology's Avatar
        Apex Speed Technology -
        But can it envisioneer proactive paradigms and disintermediate extensible initiatives
        You're getting it! Having dual detection frequencies and open-loop slip target tables gives it a "feed-forward" capability, which could be interpreted as a proactive paradigm. However, if you're not too technologically savvy (evidenced by the broken link) we can simply say that the traction and knock control systems are much better than most ECUs because they're not just reactive but predictive!

        -Neel
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
        You're getting it! Having dual detection frequencies and open-loop slip target tables gives it a "feed-forward" capability, which could be interpreted as a proactive paradigm. However, if you're not too technologically savvy (evidenced by the broken link) we can simply say that the traction and knock control systems are much better than most ECUs because they're not just reactive but predictive!

        -Neel
        I thought that was just techno babble? What the hell is a proactive paradigm and dis-intermediate extensible initiative?
      1. ccsykes's Avatar
        ccsykes -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
        However, if you're not too technologically savvy (evidenced by the broken link) we can simply say that the traction and knock control systems are much better than most ECUs because they're not just reactive but predictive!

        -Neel
        I blame Sticky for the broken link.. his server did it.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I thought that was just techno babble? What the hell is a proactive paradigm and dis-intermediate extensible initiative?
        Great Scott...

        Here is another attempt...

        Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        I blame Sticky for the broken link.. his server did it.
        That is likely true Click here to enlarge Hey, we just upgraded yesterday!

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
        Great Scott...

        Here is another attempt...
        Click here to enlarge I'll drink to that:

        Click here to enlarge
      1. Jason S.'s Avatar
        Jason S. -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
        You're getting it! Having dual detection frequencies and open-loop slip target tables gives it a "feed-forward" capability, which could be interpreted as a proactive paradigm. However, if you're not too technologically savvy (evidenced by the broken link) we can simply say that the traction and knock control systems are much better than most ECUs because they're not just reactive but predictive!

        -Neel
        Predictive knock control?? Interesting....how does that work?
      1. metrik's Avatar
        metrik -
        Thanks Neel and Jason for discussing this here for all of us.

        There are a lot of facts being discussed, however there are also some rather vague terms being tossed around that really aren't helpful unless we define them. For instance, the "drivability" argument.

        Neel, Jason, (others can chime in if they have thoughts): What specific features or characteristics are you referring to when you say "drivability"?

        In my mind, I think of:
        Startup/warmup procedure
        Idle quality
        Knock control
        Partial throttle performance
        Traction control
        Failsafe modes and feedback
        On the s54, retaining Drive by Wire.
        Interaction with onboard vehicle systems (dash, abs, smg, etc)

        Can't be this simple, so let's hear your thoughts.
      1. Jason S.'s Avatar
        Jason S. -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by metrik Click here to enlarge
        Thanks Neel and Jason for discussing this here for all of us.

        There are a lot of facts being discussed, however there are also some rather vague terms being tossed around that really aren't helpful unless we define them. For instance, the "drivability" argument.

        Neel, Jason, (others can chime in if they have thoughts): What specific features or characteristics are you referring to when you say "drivability"?

        In my mind, I think of:
        Startup/warmup procedure
        Idle quality
        Knock control
        Partial throttle performance
        Traction control
        Failsafe modes and feedback
        On the s54, retaining Drive by Wire.
        Interaction with onboard vehicle systems (dash, abs, smg, etc)

        Can't be this simple, so let's hear your thoughts.
        Drivability is where you get in to a lot of grey area and opinions. The simplest and best way I can describe drivability is to ask yourself...can I put my grandmother in this car and let her drive it on her own. In other words, can anyone jump in the car and be able to drive the car comfortably.

        So ....
        Start/warmup...definately a part of it.
        Idle quality....for sure.
        Knock control....not even a little.
        Partial throttle performance - This is gray area... you can have too responsive of a throttle for good drivability...I prefer that...some people won't
        Traction control - Well I guess if you keep someone out of a ditch or off of a telephone pole...then this is a part of it...but wouldn't be something I would put high on the list for this particular discussion.
        Failsafes - if a sensor fails and you maintain a good running engine then yes.
        Feedback - this can help with drivability, but if the base tune is good...it isn't REALLY needed.
        Drive by wire and throttle response would fall in the same category....does it do what you ask.
        Interaction with the dash etc.... yes and no.... if you don't know how much fuel you have...you might run out...but it won't change the common perception of drivability.

        Hope this helps... like anything, there are varying opinions of what makes a vehicle drivable...the factories do an excellent job with this...so I would stick to comparing it to stock in all aspects.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Would you say there is any difference in the "driveability" of the AEM and Pro-EFI?
      1. dreikraft's Avatar
        dreikraft -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Would you say there is any difference in the "driveability" of the AEM and Pro-EFI?
        thats a good question
      1. Jason S.'s Avatar
        Jason S. -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Would you say there is any difference in the "driveability" of the AEM and Pro-EFI?
        ABSOLUTELY! If your curious to see some responses from people who switched, go to the supra forums, and you will see a ton of reviews from customers who pulled their AEM off and put on the ProEFI. That is the first thing they comment on is how much better the starting, idle, and drivability are.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jason S. Click here to enlarge
        ABSOLUTELY! If your curious to see some responses from people who switched, go to the supra forums, and you will see a ton of reviews from customers who pulled their AEM off and put on the ProEFI. That is the first thing they comment on is how much better the starting, idle, and drivability are.
        I bet the Supra stuff would give me an idea but I'm interested in specific E46 M3 examples.

        Would all those supra characteristics necessarily carry over to a different platform?
      1. Jason S.'s Avatar
        Jason S. -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I bet the Supra stuff would give me an idea but I'm interested in specific E46 M3 examples.

        Would all those supra characteristics necessarily carry over to a different platform?
        Ofcourse... if you can make that kind of a difference on a relatively archaic platform like the 2jz, what do you think is going to happen when you go to a pretty advanced platform like the S54?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jason S. Click here to enlarge
        Ofcourse... if you can make that kind of a difference on a relatively archaic platform like the 2jz, what do you think is going to happen when you go to a pretty advanced platform like the S54?
        No idea, which is why I asked Click here to enlarge

        I'm guessing the result is pretty good then.
      1. Jason S.'s Avatar
        Jason S. -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No idea, which is why I asked Click here to enlarge

        I'm guessing the result is pretty good then.
        Sorry...meant to use the Click here to enlarge on that! Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Yes...it's VERY good! Click here to enlarge
      1. Apex Speed Technology's Avatar
        Apex Speed Technology -
        Drivability is where you get in to a lot of grey area and opinions. The simplest and best way I can describe drivability is to ask yourself...can I put my grandmother in this car and let her drive it on her own. In other words, can anyone jump in the car and be able to drive the car comfortably.

        So ....
        Start/warmup...definately a part of it.
        Idle quality....for sure.
        Knock control....not even a little.
        Partial throttle performance - This is gray area... you can have too responsive of a throttle for good drivability...I prefer that...some people won't
        Traction control - Well I guess if you keep someone out of a ditch or off of a telephone pole...then this is a part of it...but wouldn't be something I would put high on the list for this particular discussion.
        Failsafes - if a sensor fails and you maintain a good running engine then yes.
        Feedback - this can help with drivability, but if the base tune is good...it isn't REALLY needed.
        Drive by wire and throttle response would fall in the same category....does it do what you ask.
        Interaction with the dash etc.... yes and no.... if you don't know how much fuel you have...you might run out...but it won't change the common perception of drivability.

        Hope this helps... like anything, there are varying opinions of what makes a vehicle drivable...the factories do an excellent job with this...so I would stick to comparing it to stock in all aspects.
        This is 100% the goal of the systems we use; and its what I believe are the shortcomings of systems that don't allow you to tune VANOS or fly-by-wire.

        -Neel
      1. Commanderwiggin's Avatar
        Commanderwiggin -
        Jason if you were to take an HPF 2.75....what would you do to make it better?
        FYI with Methanol...no e85 avail in Canada. Just curious.
      1. ZooyorQ's Avatar
        ZooyorQ -
        Or how about a Stage 3? Except I'd be interested in E85 but concerned about the increased fuel flow.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
        Or how about a Stage 3? Except I'd be interested in E85 but concerned about the increased fuel flow.
        If you don't have access to E85 probably best to stick with meth.
      1. Jason S.'s Avatar
        Jason S. -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
        This is 100% the goal of the systems we use; and its what I believe are the shortcomings of systems that don't allow you to tune VANOS or fly-by-wire.

        -Neel
        We use variable cam and drive by wire on several platforms, and while you can make it match the customers taste, You really aren't going to beat the drivability done by the manufacturer in the general sense. You would be able to tune to one persons specific taste, but in the general sense (throwing just anyone in there at any time), you can't beat the work the factory did on throttle response and overall smoothness of driving.
      1. Jason S.'s Avatar
        Jason S. -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin Click here to enlarge
        Jason if you were to take an HPF 2.75....what would you do to make it better?
        FYI with Methanol...no e85 avail in Canada. Just curious.
        The stage doesn't matter, you have seen the difference on the 2.5, I would expect these differences on any stage.