Close

    • BigBoost Turbo readying Stage 1-3 BMW B58 turbocharger upgrade and supplemental port fuel injection

      The B58 engine is a stout mill that is going to be with us for quite a bit as it represents BMW's new modular engine design. As far as tuning is concerned, it responds well to bolt on modifications but there is a fuel cap in the ECU designed to keep owners from taking it too far.


      Well, good luck with that BMW. BigBoost Turbo is readying a port fuel injection system which should provide the B58 with all the fuel it needs to run their upgraded turbocharger.

      You can get an idea as to how much bigger their turbo is than the factory unit in the pictures provided.

      It is very early in the B58 tuning game so it is good to see turbo vendors tackling it.

      Quote Originally Posted by Juan@Big_Boost_Turbo
      Last week we got our own M240i for parts development. After doing some baseline runs at the dyno, we finally got to work on it. Our plans are manufacturing a stage 3 turbo and a port-injection, both to be released by late May. Stages 1 and 2 with direct replacement turbocharger will follow, no estimate time of arrival for those.

      We got the manifold yesterday and will be testing the kit with just JB4, EWG Wires and Meth injection, while PI is being manufactured.









      This article was originally published in forum thread: BigBoost Turbo about to release B58 turbo upgrade and Port Injection! started by Juan@Big_Boost_turbo View original post
      Comments 29 Comments
      1. Juan@BigBoost-Billet's Avatar
        Juan@BigBoost-Billet -
        Ok guys,

        So today we have machined the manifold that arrived yesterday from the foundry. We have test fitted it and looks great, we took some pictures to share with you. Port injection is now on CAD design, we hope one month from today we will start some testing.

        Attachment 53874
        Attachment 53875
        Attachment 53876
        Attachment 53877
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Juan@Big_Boost_turbo Click here to enlarge
        So today we have machined the manifold that arrived yesterday from the foundry. We have test fitted it and looks great, we took some pictures to share with you. Port injection is now on CAD design, we hope one month from today we will start some testing.
        This is the Stage 1 or which turbo setup? How do the stages differ exactly?
      1. Juan@BigBoost-Billet's Avatar
        Juan@BigBoost-Billet -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        This is the Stage 1 or which turbo setup? How do the stages differ exactly?
        This is stage 3,

        Stage 1 will just change the compressor for a larger 7 blade billet wheel in the stock cartridge
        Stage 2 will be larger turbine and compressor wheels.
        Stage 3 is complete new manifold with complete turbo, downpipe, inlet pipe and chargepipe.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Juan@Big_Boost_turbo Click here to enlarge
        Stage 3 is complete new manifold with complete turbo, downpipe, inlet pipe and chargepipe.
        What is the turbo?

        This is huge. Nobody has a big turbo B58 upgrade.
      1. Juan@BigBoost-Billet's Avatar
        Juan@BigBoost-Billet -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        What is the turbo?
        61.0 mm compressor
        59.0 mm turbine
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Juan@Big_Boost_turbo Click here to enlarge
        61.0 mm compressor
        59.0 mm turbine
        That's going to be VERY nice.

        Looking forward to the testing results from the various Stages.
      1. Juan@BigBoost-Billet's Avatar
        Juan@BigBoost-Billet -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That's going to be VERY nice.

        Looking forward to the testing results from the various Stages.
        For sure we will post results! At least for stage 3 now.
      1. jpsimon's Avatar
        jpsimon -
        What will control the port injection, jb4?
      1. Juan@BigBoost-Billet's Avatar
        Juan@BigBoost-Billet -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
        What will control the port injection, jb4?
        Yes, JB4 integrated PI controller
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Here's the baseline for the car:

        Click here to enlarge
      1. Thisisdudewhoru's Avatar
        Thisisdudewhoru -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Juan@Big_Boost_turbo Click here to enlarge
        This is stage 3,

        Stage 1 will just change the compressor for a larger 7 blade billet wheel in the stock cartridge
        Stage 2 will be larger turbine and compressor wheels.
        Stage 3 is complete new manifold with complete turbo, downpipe, inlet pipe and chargepipe.
        Ballpark price for each?
      1. Juan@BigBoost-Billet's Avatar
        Juan@BigBoost-Billet -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru Click here to enlarge
        Ballpark price for each?
        stage 3: $3750, giving pre-order at $3199
        Stage 2: $1750 + core
        Stage 1: $1150 + core
      1. BPCMotorsports's Avatar
        BPCMotorsports -
        ^ wow, great pricing as well. Looking forward to seeing where the B58 will go. Great job so far guys!
      1. Juan@BigBoost-Billet's Avatar
        Juan@BigBoost-Billet -
        Port Injection almost ready! Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

        Some more records coming soon!

        CAD drawing pic in here:

        Attachment 54331
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Juan@BigBoost-Billet Click here to enlarge
        Port Injection almost ready!
        That's going to be big...
      1. Juan@BigBoost-Billet's Avatar
        Juan@BigBoost-Billet -
        We are in 4th of July week sale, 20% off all our turbo upgrades. Lasts from tuesday July 4th to Sunday July 9th.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Juan@BigBoost-Billet Click here to enlarge
        We are in 4th of July week sale, 20% off all our turbo upgrades. Lasts from tuesday July 4th to Sunday July 9th.
        Bump for those that didn't see this.
      1. Juan@BigBoost-Billet's Avatar
      1. DeanerBeamer's Avatar
        DeanerBeamer -
        dyno ?
      1. F87Source's Avatar
        F87Source -
        Correct me if Im wrong but if you didn't jack up the motor mount or removed too much from the engine bay the B58 looks like there is alot of room to swap turbos compared to the N55.

        Anyways good work man!