• Finally, a shot of the new N20B20 4 cylinder turbo motor in its entirety

      The vast majority of BMW blogs and sites on the net posted pictures of the N20 sitting in an engine bay with a plastic cover. That did not do much for us to be able to see the actual motor. Well, a shot of the motor has surfaced that also reveals the size of the intercooler. This is all we have so far but we are hoping more photos and details of the motor will surface soon.


      Twinscroll turbo diagram:


      Powerband:

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Finally a shot of the new N20B20 4 cylinder turbo motor in its entirety started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 46 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        I wonder what the internals can handle, block is probably stout. Would be nice to see 20+ psi on this thing with stock turbo and engine with just chip and meth, somewhere in the 320-350 whp range would be super fun in a 128i.
        I would think that is a realistic range.

        I think we should see the same kind of market and tuning that the 2.0t sees.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        If someone can swap this into an E30 chassis, lol.. Thats my first thought when I see a motor "hmm will it fit in an E30?"
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        If someone can swap this into an E30 chassis, lol.. Thats my first thought when I see a motor "hmm will it fit in an E30?"
        cant wait to see numbers and the swap would be pretty cool
      1. Remonster's Avatar
        Remonster -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        If someone can swap this into an E30 chassis, lol.. Thats my first thought when I see a motor "hmm will it fit in an E30?"
        Why would you even have to ask yourself that? There's a guy running around with an S85 V10 in his E30 so I would think just about anything else BMW comes out with short of a V12 would fit easily.

      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
        There's a guy running around with an S85 V10 in his E30 so I would think just about anything else BMW comes out with short of a V12 would fit easily.
        Guys are running around with V12's as well:

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge

        Click here to enlarge
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        $#@!
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        pretty much any bmw engine fits in... haha
      1. Stahlgrau's Avatar
        Stahlgrau -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
        Go for E46 M3 and don't give a thing about 328/335, Performance isn't everything Click here to enlarge
        There's more to the E46 M3 than street/drag racing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stahlgrau Click here to enlarge
        There's more to the E46 M3 than street/drag racing.
        That is exactly what Sorena is saying
      1. lughed's Avatar
        lughed -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I expect this motor to dyno ~220. The N54 is around 270, so likely a 50 whp difference and 6 mph in trap speed. That is just my guess...
        I dont know if potential buyers would be happy with that. I know i wouldnt especially when its a new gen and is historically suppose to be more powerful. Unless BMW is cutting a lot of weight from the car as well.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lughed Click here to enlarge
        I dont know if potential buyers would be happy with that. I know i wouldnt especially when its a new gen and is historically suppose to be more powerful. Unless BMW is cutting a lot of weight from the car as well.
        Why not be happy with that?
      1. aquaskr's Avatar
        aquaskr -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Why not be happy with that?

        He's probably missing the difference between whp & bhp and thinking it is will have less power than the outgoing 6 cyl in the *28 models.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        It's not even about total horsepower that attracts. A big seller for me is ease of modification, I dont care if the car makes 100 hp stock. If I can bring it to 500 hp with a tune and meth I'll get it.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aquaskr Click here to enlarge
        He's probably missing the difference between whp & bhp and thinking it is will have less power than the outgoing 6 cyl in the *28 models.
        You are likely correct. That, or he is thinking it will be too close in proximity to N54/N55's.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        It's not even about total horsepower that attracts. A big seller for me is ease of modification, I dont care if the car makes 100 hp stock. If I can bring it to 500 hp with a tune and meth I'll get it.
        Exactly, and this will open up BMW tuning to the masses.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        People just dont realize the significance of this new powerplant.




        Attachment 5009
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        People just dont realize the significance of this new powerplant.
        We do though.

        I'm hoping BB becomes the source of info for this motor, I'm excited about it. The tuners probably can't wait to get in on it either, I want a piece of that.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        When is this motor supposed to start to show up in production cars? I wouldnt mind test driving a 128 just for $#@!s.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        When is this motor supposed to start to show up in production cars? I wouldnt mind test driving a 128 just for $#@!s.
        In the fall, shows up in the X1 first than the Z4.

        I would be interested in it in the Z4, definitely.

        Also, wondering if large singles will come faster on it than the N54. I think that is almost guaranteed actually.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        There will be lots more room under the hood, so expect to see big singles within a year IMO.

        I wonder what the internals are capable of, if they are anything as stout as the N54 then you should see 500+ hp easily from this platform with minor work and mostly tuning.

        I just hope the DME isnt a cluster$#@!.


        I think an X1 with 500 HP would be pretty $#@!ing cool, sleeper for sure.