Close

    • BMW M3/M4 S55 engine going into the F87 M2 / M2 CS for 2018 model year?

      This is not confirmed but rumors are swirling regarding the S55 engine from the F80 M3 and F82 M4 going into the F87 M2 chassis. This would rectify BMW's mistake as the N55B30T0 motor is somewhat weak and struggles against the new B58 engine.


      If you look a the F87 M2 N55B30T0 power curve it just is all low end and the torque quickly drops off. How does that make sense for an M car designed for track use?

      The S55 isn't exactly BMW's best top end design but it offers a much broader curve with stronger pull toward redline. It's a better motor.

      So what is fueling these S55 into the M2 engine rumors? Spy photos from CAR showing cooling changes that look similar to the S55 cooling system. Not to mention Nurburgring testing from last year of an M2 said to have the S55 under the hood.

      It's possible only the CS model will get the S55 motor and the standard M2 will stick with the N55B30T0. If that is the case, the CS will be a much better buy.

      We'll know soon enough.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: BMW M3/M4 S55 engine going into the F87 M2 / M2 CS for 2018 model year? started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 16 Comments
      1. ms335i's Avatar
        ms335i -
        I'm thinking they might put a s55 in there but I also think they might do a upgraded B58 so they don't undermine the m4/3. Plus with an s55 the price would be the same to an m4 and that would cause another conflict. Knowing BMW and their latest tactics, it's probably going to be the upgraded B58 route.
      1. krazi3azn's Avatar
        krazi3azn -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ms335i Click here to enlarge
        I'm thinking they might put a s55 in there but I also think they might do a upgraded B58 so they don't undermine the m4/3. Plus with an s55 the price would be the same to an m4 and that would cause another conflict. Knowing BMW and their latest tactics, it's probably going to be the upgraded B58 route.
        Yea I was thinking S55 detuned also. Like how Mercedes does it, put the same 6.2L in every chassis but just detune it.
      1. ms335i's Avatar
        ms335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by krazi3azn Click here to enlarge
        Yea I was thinking S55 detuned also. Like how Mercedes does it, put the same 6.2L in every chassis but just detune it.
        It's going to be either detuned s55 or b58. I think we might be onto something haha.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        It will definitely be detuned (at least on paper) but I doubt they will make hardware changes.

        A B58 would be interesting as well.
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        Sucks for the current M2 owners and the $#@!ty N55 they got stuck with....B58 and S55 will surely be the more desirable M2....
      1. krazi3azn's Avatar
        krazi3azn -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
        Sucks for the current M2 owners and the $#@!ty N55 they got stuck with....B58 and S55 will surely be the more desirable M2....
        I still wouldn;t mind the N55 with all the glorious sounds it makes. But for me, M cars are more of the suspension dynamics and body than engine
      1. Terry@BMS's Avatar
        Terry@BMS -
        I'd buy one... As long as it has the same hardware. Click here to enlarge
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by krazi3azn Click here to enlarge
        I still wouldn;t mind the N55 with all the glorious sounds it makes. But for me, M cars are more of the suspension dynamics and body than engine
        M cars are more for the body than engine? Wha??? Look, I know you're right for the majority of total M owners, but its definitely opposite for the folks on these car forums....engine is WAY more important than the body.
      1. krazi3azn's Avatar
        krazi3azn -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
        M cars are more for the body than engine? Wha??? Look, I know you're right for the majority of total M owners, but its definitely opposite for the folks on these car forums....engine is WAY more important than the body.
        Yea I do agree with you also. I meant more so on the side of handling, since even with a fast 135i I still miss the handling of a M3.
      1. Bowser330's Avatar
        Bowser330 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by krazi3azn Click here to enlarge
        Yea I do agree with you also. I meant more so on the side of handling, since even with a fast 135i I still miss the handling of a M3.
        I thought you meant body as in styling! oops, great handling chassis is huge, you're right.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by krazi3azn Click here to enlarge
        But for me, M cars are more of the suspension dynamics and body than engine
        The engine is the heart of the M experience. Well, it used to be.
      1. krazi3azn's Avatar
        krazi3azn -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The engine is the heart of the M experience. Well, it used to be.
        The days of the glorious high reving straight 6 engines are gone from BMW unfortunately =\
      1. AWSAWS's Avatar
        AWSAWS -
        Could be full power guys but the main factor should be price.

        If the car was the same full power engine but the car was $10,000 less than and M4, then what?
        Then again we often see weight reduction projects being priced more than the original car, the original being termed as bloated.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by krazi3azn Click here to enlarge
        The days of the glorious high reving straight 6 engines are gone from BMW unfortunately =\
        Yes, but the problem is more this than them going turbo: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...-in-production
      1. Ando@BMS's Avatar
        Ando@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
        I'd buy one... As long as it has the same hardware. Click here to enlarge
        Or me Click here to enlarge
      1. RobNyc's Avatar
        RobNyc -
        Once this rolls out, same thing BMW is planning to do with the X3 M and X4 M to compete against 400hp Macan Turbo and Benz GLC AMG.

        Looking forward to this!