• PAW Motorsport offers N54 ported/polished cylinder head upgrade - $3995

      PAW Motorsport is offering a cylinder head upgrade for N54 based BMW vehicles. There is a substantial gain in port flow velocity without a sacrifice in low lift situations. Flowbench charts show an increase of about 35% with gains from 161 cfm to 227 cfm. Both intake and exhaust ports have been ported and polished along with modified intake and exhaust valves. The claimed power gains with the head alone are in the 40 hp range. Charts and pictures are below.

      Expect before and after results on a PAW DCT N54 project car in the next few weeks. For those interested in this upgrade there is a core charge in the $2800 range which obviously is refunded when the core is received.














      Further Details:








      Charts and Data:







      This article was originally published in forum thread: PAW offers N54 ported cylinder head upgrade - $3995 started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 325 Comments
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        There are pressure sensors everywhere. I think there is a pressure sensor before and after the HPFP. So if it sees 200 psi instead of 100 psi upstream of the HPFP, it will think the LPFP is failing because it's 'out of acceptable range' or some bull$#@! parameter. Making the computer happy with a walbro would be nice, a LPFP would definately help get fuel to the motor.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
        But why? What did the DME dislike? Voltage, fuel pressure, injector flow...?
        he didnt get that far into it. you may want to contact the people that were involved Click here to enlarge
      1. mazdaspeed6's Avatar
        mazdaspeed6 -
        i thought the whole lpfp was in unfors thread... i saw that too
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
        i thought the whole lpfp was in unfors thread... i saw that too
        His LPFP is to supply fuel for the port injectors which are low pressure injectors typically found in cars that are port injected and not DI. I dont know if he is using another LPFP to source his HPFP, I doubt it since he already has enough fuel with his LPFP and direct port manifold.
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        he didnt get that far into it. you may want to contact the people that were involved Click here to enlarge
        Well, I e-mailed Sikky manufacturing earlier today and asked for an upgraded fuel system kit they developed for Unfor. No reply yet. I have no idea though who would know why the DME disliked Walbro. That might have been JE, who tried it out, but on the other hand they would know nothing about the DME or how to get the DME to accept Walbro since in Engine Management they are specialized in Japanese ECUs. I believe CP-E was not involved in Unfor's project with their tuning knowhow at that point, as I believe the tuning was to happen the last, and I believe CP-E just didn't do their part since they seem to be extremely inactive regarding N54.
      1. DLV-Engineering's Avatar
        DLV-Engineering -
        Upgrading the fuel pump is where you'd need someone who knows the stock DME and re scaling the DME & EKPS to accept the new ohmic values(for the fuel pump) its reading as now normal.

        So I do see why the DME would freak out, the OEM fuel pump and Walbro may and should have two different ohmic values. So the DME see a higher or lower resistance at the EKPS and freaks out sending the car into limp mode while receiving the incorrect fuel pressure and different ohmic values than its programed to read.

        Sounds like somone needs to get some good reliable pumps and start playing with the DME more.Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLV-Engineering Click here to enlarge
        Upgrading the fuel pump is where you'd need someone who knows the stock DME and re scaling the DME & EKPS to accept the new ohmic values(for the fuel pump) its reading as now normal
        Is this even possible? And wouldn't it have to be done through a flash anyway?

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLV-Engineering Click here to enlarge
        Sounds like somone needs to get some good reliable pumps and start playing with the DME more.
        It is going to take a tuner with some real talent.
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLV-Engineering Click here to enlarge
        Upgrading the fuel pump is where you'd need someone who knows the stock DME and re scaling the DME & EKPS to accept the new ohmic values(for the fuel pump) its reading as now normal.

        So I do see why the DME would freak out, the OEM fuel pump and Walbro may and should have two different ohmic values. So the DME see a higher or lower resistance at the EKPS and freaks out sending the car into limp mode while receiving the incorrect fuel pressure and different ohmic values than its programed to read.

        Sounds like somone needs to get some good reliable pumps and start playing with the DME more.Click here to enlarge
        I'm relieved someone having an idea of what would be needed Click here to enlarge
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It is going to take a tuner with some real talent.
        It must be PAW. I believe they said they will fix this for us.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
        I'm relieved someone having an idea of what would be needed Click here to enlarge
        I agree, nice to understand what it would take and that we have someone who can explain it.
      1. mazdaspeed6's Avatar
        mazdaspeed6 -
        Could we just get a flash to fix the fuel scaling and still run jb4?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
        Could we just get a flash to fix the fuel scaling and still run jb4?
        Wasn't Terry saying something about the JB being compatible with certain flashes?
      1. mazdaspeed6's Avatar
        mazdaspeed6 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Wasn't Terry saying something about the JB being compatible with certain flashes?
        Yea he stacked it with giac or dinnan
      1. DLV-Engineering's Avatar
        DLV-Engineering -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Is this even possible? And wouldn't it have to be done through a flash anyway?



        It is going to take a tuner with some real talent.
        Yes it's possible, anything is possible. This why I always tell people flashes are better than piggy backs. Being able to tune and reverse engineer the DME is a wonderful thing. Makes life easier for everyone. Just like I rather tinker with an AEM or DTA, which gives the user full capability of controling everything. Piggy backs on the other hand(especailly pre programmed ones) don't give the user much option for inprovement. Even piggy back fuel/spark controlers only can do so much before a BMW DME say WTH, whats going on here.

        Yes, PAW should be able to do it.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLV-Engineering Click here to enlarge
        Yes it's possible, anything is possible. This why I always tell people flashes are better than piggy backs. Being able to tune and reverse engineer the DME is a wonderful thing. Makes life easier for everyone. Just like I rather tinker with an AEM or DTA, which gives the user full capability of controling everything. Piggy backs on the other hand(especailly pre programmed ones) don't give the user much option for inprovement. Even piggy back fuel/spark controlers only can do so much before a BMW DME say WTH, whats going on here.

        Yes, PAW should be able to do it.
        I will have to agree and disagree with a few things.

        I think it is a beautiful thing indeed to reverse engineer the DME, getting into the DME logic and having a full understanding of the computations and I/Os is great and truly is the best way to tune minus a standalone.

        BUT,

        For those that like modularity in their tunes, a good reliable cheap piggyback isnt a bad option.

        At the end of the day, my piggyback which cost me 600 bucks can do everything I want it to. And I am just a mediocre enthusiast, not all out racer or record breaker.

        I can easily go in and vary boost to my liking, thats all I want.

        A flash tune takes advantage of ALL the hardware and power the DME has to offer, but for someone that just wants a quick boost jump, piggybacks arent so bad.

        My ideal tune for the N54 DME would be not much different then the current piggybacks out there, they are not as bad as you think. I am sure behind the lines (inside the DME) you cringe when you hear the word piggyback because they really only are signal interceptors, but hey they get the job done and have been this way for years. Ideal? Maybe not, functional and affordable; definitely.

        I dont know much about flash tunes, but can you make a flash tune that can readily accept user inputs like any current standalone would? Could I, as a user, go into my 'flash tune' and tell it I want to run 27 degrees intake cam advance at 5750 RPM and 15 degrees exhaust cam advance at 4350 RPM while targeting 20 psi boost under 100% load and so on and so forth via tables? All this with a complete aftermarket GT40R turbo and supporting port injected fuel system in conjunction with my DI fuel system? I'll tell you what, the current DME would $#@! it's pants if you tried to do something like that with a piggyback (except perhaps the cpe standback 2, i dont know it may be able to do this?). CPE standback is sort of a combination of the two, it allows users to build 30x30 tables for parameters vs load yet its not a true flash if i remember correctly (cpe better chime in i could be completely wrong).

        If a flash tune can be anything as close to accepting inputs like that, I will be impressed. I am genuinely interested because I know virtually nothing about flash tunes for this car (other than Dinan and some other vendors, 'one time' tunes).
      1. DLV-Engineering's Avatar
        DLV-Engineering -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        I will have to agree and disagree with a few things.

        I think it is a beautiful thing indeed to reverse engineer the DME, getting into the DME logic and having a full understanding of the computations and I/Os is great and truly is the best way to tune minus a standalone.

        BUT,

        For those that like modularity in their tunes, a good reliable cheap piggyback isnt a bad option.

        At the end of the day, my piggyback which cost me 600 bucks can do everything I want it to. And I am just a mediocre enthusiast, not all out racer or record breaker.

        I can easily go in and vary boost to my liking, thats all I want.

        A flash tune takes advantage of ALL the hardware and power the DME has to offer, but for someone that just wants a quick boost jump, piggybacks arent so bad.

        My ideal tune for the N54 DME would be not much different then the current piggybacks out there, they are not as bad as you think. I am sure behind the lines (inside the DME) you cringe when you hear the word piggyback because they really only are signal interceptors, but hey they get the job done and have been this way for years. Ideal? Maybe not, functional and affordable; definitely.
        Totally agree with you, no argument there. Everyone likes what they like. Some suit others better.

        But DME tunes can be varied though(Street/Mild/Race) And should roughly cost the same as piggy backs(for the street tunes at least) when a few more get done. Main reason I like DME tunes, no check engine lights because now the tuner makes what they want be accepted as normal by the DME. E.G, boost levels, stock boost on an N54 is 8.8psi. The tuner now says to the DME, no, 14psi is now your max boost. So it won't see those extra 6ish psi as an overboost issue setting off SES lights (and of course all the other parameters that need to be changed, trq managment,spark, etc..)

        They all have thier pros and cons. I've had Greddy Emanages on my cars before and loved them. I may even have to do a piggy back on my DME if we can't get it to work with E85 properly.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        Where in FL are you located?
      1. DLV-Engineering's Avatar
        DLV-Engineering -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        Where in FL are you located?
        Miami. I actually live a few blocks away from PAW's tuner. Thats why I can vouche so much for them, I know them both on a personal level(past 3 yrs) They're honest down to earth people with all their customers.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DLV-Engineering Click here to enlarge
        Miami. I actually live a few blocks away from PAW's tuner. Thats why I can vouche so much for them, I know them both on a personal level(past 3 yrs) They're honest down to earth people with all their customers.
        Sweet, I'm in palm beach right now but I drive down to hollywood once in a while. I might take a trip down to miami.

        Other than that my permanent residence is Zimbabwe.
      1. DLV-Engineering's Avatar
        DLV-Engineering -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        Sweet, I'm in palm beach right now but I drive down to hollywood once in a while. I might take a trip down to miami.

        Other than that my permanent residence is Zimbabwe.
        Let me know! We're always doing something(be it the race track or at PAW) How often do you come to FL? (sorry for the thread jack guys)