Close

    • PAW Motorsport offers N54 ported/polished cylinder head upgrade - $3995

      PAW Motorsport is offering a cylinder head upgrade for N54 based BMW vehicles. There is a substantial gain in port flow velocity without a sacrifice in low lift situations. Flowbench charts show an increase of about 35% with gains from 161 cfm to 227 cfm. Both intake and exhaust ports have been ported and polished along with modified intake and exhaust valves. The claimed power gains with the head alone are in the 40 hp range. Charts and pictures are below.

      Expect before and after results on a PAW DCT N54 project car in the next few weeks. For those interested in this upgrade there is a core charge in the $2800 range which obviously is refunded when the core is received.














      Further Details:








      Charts and Data:








      This article was originally published in forum thread: PAW offers N54 ported cylinder head upgrade - $3995 started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 325 Comments
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
        They have good exhaust flow improvement without upgrading the exhaust valves?
        As I said, work on exhaust ports isn't done...they can improve the valves themselves and it'll be an orderable option..the only ones that are better than stock BMW valves are ridiculous $80/valve...given 24 of them on this head, go figure..this is why it'll be an "option" most likely but they're looking into other options as well...they're working on it still, nothing is finalized
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
        As I said, work on exhaust ports isn't done...they can improve the valves themselves and it'll be an orderable option..the only ones that are better than stock BMW valves are ridiculous $80/valve...given 24 of them on this head, go figure..this is why it'll be an "option" most likely but they're looking into other options as well...they're working on it still, nothing is finalized
        No need to upgrade intake valves as the stock valves have a lot of potential for increased flow. So we are talking about the option of upgrading the 12 exhaust valves. Who lists the $80 valves for N54? I might be interested in those in case VAC doesn't get the exhaust side to flow enough with the stock ones. Let's hope for them to get a reasonable flow with the stock exh valves. Thanks for your effort.
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        Lenny@PAW hasn't replied to my mails either lately.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
        Lenny@PAW hasn't replied to my mails either lately.
        I'll give Lenny a call tomorrow, cool?
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        seems odd they would put all this work into this new product but wont answer anyone...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        seems odd they would put all this work into this new product but wont answer anyone...
        It is a little odd. I'm making a phone call tomorrow.
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        I guess the customer with the plan to have RBs & PAW head had to cancel for his own reasons and Lenny just doesn't have the upgraded turbo data for PAW head that I asked for.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Guys, I spoke to PAW today. They say they have not gotten your e-mails or pm's.

        E-mail luis@pawmotorsport.com if you have any questions about the heads or their other products. I'm going to try to get before and after dynos.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
        I guess the customer with the plan to have RBs & PAW head had to cancel for his own reasons and Lenny just doesn't have the upgraded turbo data for PAW head that I asked for.
        I'm betting he just hasn't seen the request?

        Lenny always gets back to me with data....sometimes stuff I never dreamed of getting my hands on.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
        Lenny always gets back to me with data....sometimes stuff I never dreamed of getting my hands on.
        Exactly, they just aren't forum guys.

        I spoke with them today, I'll be getting more info.
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        That's weird Click here to enlarge I emailed them 3 times both Lenny and Luis...I guess we aren't taken seriously Click here to enlarge in any case looking forward to some data...LM also emailed them and there were no responses...
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        I'm interested in knowing how much the head benefits RB-turbo upgraded cars. Do they have a customer with upgraded turbos?

        Also they were working on a fueling solution. Any news on that?
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        updates?
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        I just want to see dynos before and after. is that so much to ask?
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        Sticky said several months ago that they were about to install PAW head with RB turbos. What happened to this plan?
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        PAW would be surely selling some cylinder heads if they were able to demonstrate their 100hp claim on top of RB turbos, but as far as they keep silent of their fuel system that has been under development and the actual results, the claim is only a good theory of what could happen. Given the fueling and upgraded head, my main concern is the small size of the turbine housing compromising the flow and because of that the gains of the upgraded head being less than estimated by PAW.
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
        PAW would be surely selling some cylinder heads if they were able to demonstrate their 100hp claim on top of RB turbos, but as far as they keep silent of their fuel system that has been under development and the actual results, the claim is only a good theory of what could happen. Given the fueling and upgraded head, my main concern is the small size of the turbine housing compromising the flow and because of that the gains of the upgraded head being less than estimated by PAW.
        Well...it's pretty simple in my mind.

        Increase the efficiency of the cylinder head by XX%, and you wouldn't be making extravagant claims by addressing the VE table in the same way. Add boost...and I can easily see where the 100hp estimates came from.

        There are cases with Naturally Aspirated 3.0L engines where cylinder head work is worth 50-60hp....
      1. 654's Avatar
        654 -
        I hear VAC Motorsports has been promoting and showing their N54 upgraded head with upgraded valves. Lenny from PAW said, that he believes upgrading exhaust valves is needed and VAC seems to have concluded the same. So it is going to be a great upgrade with not so small price. Looking forward to the prices.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
        That's weird Click here to enlarge I emailed them 3 times both Lenny and Luis...I guess we aren't taken seriously Click here to enlarge in any case looking forward to some data...LM also emailed them and there were no responses...
        Seriously? Do me a favor and just give them a phone call, please: Phone: 305-591-7434
      1. dzenno@PTF's Avatar
        dzenno@PTF -
        seriously Click here to enlarge i've emailed on 3 separate occasions...first time they sent me the specs even but then later on nothing...

        i guess i'll call them but now with VAC just around the corner I have to see first what they've got in store and wait for my next impulsive purchase moment lol