Close

    • Awron develops S63/S63TU twin turbo V8 BMW engine swap kit with standalone engine management - E63 M6 drift car with S63 V8

      Swapping out the naturally aspirated S85 V10 for an S63 twin turbo V8 in an E63 M6 is a bit of a shame but considering the application here is a dedicated drift car it makes sense. The twin turbo torque will certainly make it easy to get a drift going and those tires spinning.


      This swap is facilitated by Awron in Germany who makes various BMW electronics. They have data logging hardware, stand alone engine management systems, data displays, etc. Some very cool and high tech BMW hardware.

      This S63 V8 runs on an Awron engine management system. Unfortunately, the details are not posted on their website but they have a video showing their ECU running the motor which you can view below.

      Their ECU should make it possible for more of these swaps to be facilitated into other BMW chassis'. How about a twin turbo S63TU V8 Z4? Maybe an E46 M3? Anyone?


















      This article was originally published in forum thread: Awron develops S63/S63TU twin turbo V8 BMW engine swap kit with standalone engine management - E63 M6 drift car with S63 V8 started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 10 Comments
      1. MSIZZLE's Avatar
        MSIZZLE -
        i don't even wanna imagine the price
      1. kbaldi29's Avatar
        kbaldi29 -
        I read before those Ecu were over $15k for the s63... if they work I guess you could consider spending that money if you have it, but I wonder how much control they actually have over the Engine, I think they switch from two to one ECU, which makes you think they simplified some of the BMW data adquisition needs or some took out some outputs in their version ECU, since Bmw used two of them because couldn't run all the functions using only one MEVD makes you wonder... What's different with this stand alone.
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        I was thinking of this swap for my E60 545i over a M5 until I saw the price for a complete s63...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kbaldi29 Click here to enlarge
        I read before those Ecu were over $15k for the s63... if they work I guess you could consider spending that money if you have it, but I wonder how much control they actually have over the Engine, I think they switch from two to one ECU, which makes you think they simplified some of the BMW data adquisition needs or some took out some outputs in their version ECU, since Bmw used two of them because couldn't run all the functions using only one MEVD makes you wonder... What's different with this stand alone.
        The Awron ECU is over $15? Damn.

        Good point about the dual ECU's.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        I was thinking of this swap for my E60 545i over a M5 until I saw the price for a complete s63...
        What's the price?
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        What's the price?
        At first I was thinking about an N63tu with the s63 exhaust manifold and maybe turbos but that motor with parts missing I believe started around 5,000$ and the s63 is maybe double then even more for the tu which is a lot to spend when you consider those motors had excess oil consumption(possible o-ring?) issues.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        hen you consider those motors had excess oil consumption(possible o-ring?) issues.
        The TU's have excess oil consumption issues or both?

        How is this solved? Just adding more oil frequently?
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The TU's have excess oil consumption issues or both?

        How is this solved? Just adding more oil frequently?
        I came across this post from 2014 http://www.autoevolution.com/news/he...oil-87694.html

        For the n63's BMW had the recall coded as,"Customer Care Package" and constantly saw threads with owners complaining about that engine with no solutions found.

        And I also saw a M5 owner's thread where they said instead of finding a solution to the excessive oil consumption BMW simply adjusted the suggested mileage for adding oil, I can't find it now but will get it to you once I do.
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gazzerthegreat Click here to enlarge
        Just out of interest I checked out the situation with my dealer in respect of oil consumption. Apparently BMW state that using 0.6ltr per 1000km is within tolerances!
        From, http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=975951

        and a follow-up from the thread starter, http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017622
      1. Flinchy's Avatar
        Flinchy -
        Soooo they can control the piezo injectors?

        Half a hop to an n54 standalone from this..