• DCT Build Part VIII - Putting it back together

      As of right now, the transmission is completed and the cooling system is in the process of being completed. Where we left off was the car being taken to SSP for the build of the cooling system. To make this all make sense we will not skip ahead, instead showing you each step. Here SSP is getting ready to put it together with the new clutch discs. They laid out all the parts and used 3d scanning equipment to record them to aid in the production of the parts. Everything was laid out to make sure the parts were clean and accounted for. Additionally, they were working on prototype viton seals for the transmission. The next update will have details on the cooling system.























      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 3052 Comments
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        There have been great NA motors, great turbo motors and great SC motors over the years, but there really is no replacement for discplacement when you look at the big picture.

        Sticky's problem is I have a MUCH bigger motor and MUCH bigger blower than he does.
        Don't let the cat out of the bag just yet dude!!! LOL
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        Meanwhile my car was at Weistec for the past 2 weeks with the motor and transmission out being built and is on a flatbed as I type this being delivered to my house. Took them exactly 10 business days to build it and it'll be in my driveway by 5pm today.
        ...ya Luke, but it's no DCT LOL
      1. singletrack's Avatar
        singletrack -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        I see what your saying, but in the end, less is still less
        Not to me. I'd much rather driver a slower m3 with the engine it has vs a myriad of other cars that have larger displacement and are faster.

        Someone will always be faster anyway.
      1. singletrack's Avatar
        singletrack -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Exactly, kind of like a Chinese guy braging about having the biggest cock in Chinatown.
        Lol. So close minded. Are you interested in anything other than super fast large displacement modern cars? Any interest outside of merc? There are a lot of great experiences to be had with this hobby other than going stupid fast in a straight line for a bucket of money.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
        Lol. So close minded. Are you interested in anything other than super fast large displacement modern cars? Any interest outside of merc? There are a lot of great experiences to be had with this hobby other than going stupid fast in a straight line for a bucket of money.
        I have lots of vehicles, not all of them rockets. I have a large displacement Ford SVT Raptor that is modded to the hilt for off-road desert runs, I have owned several M3's(a Dinan E46) and still own a rare 95 M3 Lightweight, I own a run of the mill ML350 and just ordered a run of the mill GL450, I own a large displacement GMC 3500 Denali. Lots of other small displacement vehicles in my garage a few 1.0L Suzuki's, some 1.3L-1.6L Harleys, My latest purchase(today) is a very small displacemet .9L Triumph Thruxton.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
        Lol. So close minded. Are you interested in anything other than super fast large displacement modern cars? Any interest outside of merc? There are a lot of great experiences to be had with this hobby other than going stupid fast in a straight line for a bucket of money.
        Click here to enlarge
      1. singletrack's Avatar
        singletrack -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        I have lots of vehicles, not all of them rockets. I have a large displacement Ford SVT Raptor that is modded to the hilt for off-road desert runs, I have owned several M3's(a Dinan M46) and still own a rare 95 M3 Lightweight, I own a run of the mill ML350 and just ordered a run of the mill GL450, I own a large displacement GMC 3500 Denali. Lots of other small displacement vehicles in my garage a few 1.0L Suzuki's, some 1.3L-1.6L Harleys, My latest purchase(today) is a very small displacemet .9L Triumph Thruxton.
        Ok, so basically you are just talking $#@! to get a rise out of people. Noted.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        Click here to enlarge
        I got this, don't worry.......I did not even mention the Renegade or the fleet of Freightliners and Peterbilts.
      1. Black Sheep's Avatar
        Black Sheep -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        I got this, don't worry.......I did not even mention the Renegade or the fleet of Freightliners and Peterbilts.
        Click here to enlarge
      1. MisterEm's Avatar
        MisterEm -
        I would love to see the Raptor.

        What did you do to the 6.2L?
      1. Ak335i's Avatar
        Ak335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
        Lol. So close minded. Are you interested in anything other than super fast large displacement modern cars? Any interest outside of merc? There are a lot of great experiences to be had with this hobby other than going stupid fast in a straight line for a bucket of money.
        what if it were a bucket of fried chicken ?
      1. bobS's Avatar
        bobS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        I got this, don't worry.......I did not even mention the Renegade or the fleet of Freightliners and Peterbilts.
        Do you own a trucking company? My family owns Freightliner Dealerships if you need any trucks!
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
        Not to me. I'd much rather driver a slower m3 with the engine it has vs a myriad of other cars that have larger displacement and are faster.

        Someone will always be faster anyway.
        so no supercharger for your car then?
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
        I would love to see the Raptor.

        What did you do to the 6.2L?
        Well I would love to post a pic or two but it will not let me, not sure what is going on, maybe Sticky locked down my account.

        It is a silver 2011 6.2L Super Crew, Long tube headers, cat delete, Stainless Works full exhaust, SCT tune, AFE intake, McNeil fiberglass widebody front fenders, full ADD bumpers, skids and bed mount spare, King Racing Suspension and billet arms, 37" MT's on 17" Method beadlocks and I actually use it for off-roading LOL. I have run Barstow to Vegas a few times and some AZ to western TX runs as well.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        Meanwhile my car was at Weistec for the past 2 weeks with the motor and transmission out being built and is on a flatbed as I type this being delivered to my house. Took them exactly 10 business days to build it and it'll be in my driveway by 5pm today.
        I'm about to illustrate my lack of knowledge of Weistec, but that's an incredible turn around time for a trans & engine build? Are they not that busy or do they just have a ton of mechs/large scale operation that can turn out builds??
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        I'm about to illustrate my lack of knowledge of Weistec, but that's an incredible turn around time for a trans & engine build? Are they not that busy or do they just have a ton of mechs/large scale operation that can turn out builds??
        They are VERY busy. I was there less than two weeks ago and here is a list of cars they had sitting in their shop besides my C BS and CLK BS. They had Graham Rahals C BS, two C 63 sedans, an SLS, an E55 and an E63(m156) all being worked on. Their facility has more than doubled in size in the past 12 months, they are going gangbusters. They have a full fab shop on site as well, design and engineering, welding, two new Haas CNC's and a bunch of other high tech looking stuff that I had no idea wht I was even looking at LOL
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Well I would love to post a pic or two but it will not let me, not sure what is going on, maybe Sticky locked down my account.

        It is a silver 2011 6.2L Super Crew, Long tube headers, cat delete, Stainless Works full exhaust, SCT tune, AFE intake, McNeil fiberglass widebody front fenders, full ADD bumpers, skids and bed mount spare, King Racing Suspension and billet arms, 37" MT's on 17" Method beadlocks and I actually use it for off-roading LOL. I have run Barstow to Vegas a few times and some AZ to western TX runs as well.
        $#@! your life sounds fun. You sure you don't need a Bodyguard?
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        I'm about to illustrate my lack of knowledge of Weistec, but that's an incredible turn around time for a trans & engine build? Are they not that busy or do they just have a ton of mechs/large scale operation that can turn out builds??
        As Jim stated, they are VERY busy and they actually don't have some huge sprawling shop with tons of lifts. It's a good sized place and it very well sorted out. Funny part about my build is that they actually had to wait a week for transmission parts so the build took even less time than they estimated. My car got there on a Monday and by the end of of that same day the had everything out of the car, and photos sent to me of exactly what we were doing. Awesome shop to deal with and very skilled. When you specialize in building M156 motors and transmissions, it kind of goes without saying that they can get things done fast and the right way the first time with no hiccups. Big props to Weistec - I'll post a thread about my car when it's back and I've put some miles on the new setup.
      1. LZH's Avatar
        LZH -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        $#@! your life sounds fun. You sure you don't need a Bodyguard?
        Pretty sure Rich already has that job Click here to enlarge
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
        Pretty sure Rich already has that job Click here to enlarge
        so once Rich disappears, there is a vacancy...?