Close

    • DCT Build Part VIII - Putting it back together

      As of right now, the transmission is completed and the cooling system is in the process of being completed. Where we left off was the car being taken to SSP for the build of the cooling system. To make this all make sense we will not skip ahead, instead showing you each step. Here SSP is getting ready to put it together with the new clutch discs. They laid out all the parts and used 3d scanning equipment to record them to aid in the production of the parts. Everything was laid out to make sure the parts were clean and accounted for. Additionally, they were working on prototype viton seals for the transmission. The next update will have details on the cooling system.
























      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 3052 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
        Did you call? Any updates? It's hard to understand how this car is still down. Unless they are trying to make a black hole with the engine. I just dont get it....
        Trust me, I'll explain everything in due time. Let's just say there's a reason nobody has gone further with the S65.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        He posted on Monday that he would be calling them for an update "tomorrow" which was yesterday, it is now Wednesday evening and nothing mentioned by Sticky as to how his phone call went, in a situation like this, no news is bad news lol.
        Um I was just there and just got home.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        I just called my guy in Vegas, they are posting odds on whether or not your car will be done in the next two weeks. I am going to go with NO.
        I don't think it will be ready for the event. It simply is cutting it too close.
      1. AWil335i's Avatar
        AWil335i -
        I feel like there is a Manti Te'o joke somewhere in here.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AWil335i Click here to enlarge
        I feel like there is a Manti Te'o joke somewhere in here.
        Well the car actually exists.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I don't think it will be ready for the event. It simply is cutting it too close.
        It has been like 3 years, you should be banned from here for using the phrase"cutting it too close" in the same breath as anything having to do with your car. The $#@!ing thing better run 8s after the time this has taking.

        The only thing you will be cutting close is the likelyhood you you hitting retirement age before your car gets done
      1. lulz_m3's Avatar
        lulz_m3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        It has been like 3 years, you should be banned from here for using the phrase"cutting it too close" in the same breath as anything having to do with your car. The $#@!ing thing better run 8s after the time this has taking.

        The only thing you will be cutting close is the likelyhood you you hitting retirement age before your car gets done
        Poetry
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        It has been like 3 years, you should be banned from here for using the phrase"cutting it too close" in the same breath as anything having to do with your car. The $#@!ing thing better run 8s after the time this has taking.

        The only thing you will be cutting close is the likelyhood you you hitting retirement age before your car gets done
        Ok ok I get get it.

        Retirement age is relative.
      1. Autobahn335i's Avatar
        Autobahn335i -
        Send Darth Vader over there. We need the Force on this one!!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Guys, really, everything is fine. Chillax. Don't add stress.
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Anyone with stress would have died already...
      1. ultimateendz's Avatar
        ultimateendz -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        It has been like 3 years, you should be banned from here for using the phrase"cutting it too close" in the same breath as anything having to do with your car. The $#@!ing thing better run 8s after the time this has taking.
        my thoughts exactly...I mean...it didnt even take UGR this long to get their first TT gallardo together....or AMS to get into their alpha 10+ cars....i really dont buy that the S65 is really that much more complicated FWIW
      1. ultimateendz's Avatar
        ultimateendz -
        Even weistec got their sc out after everyone was saying it was impossible....and they even improved on it since
      1. PEI330Ci's Avatar
        PEI330Ci -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Ok ok I get get it.

        Retirement age is relative.
        That's actually pretty funny....
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
        my thoughts exactly...I mean...it didnt even take UGR this long to get their first TT gallardo together....or AMS to get into their alpha 10+ cars....i really dont buy that the S65 is really that much more complicated FWIW
        In the time Sticky's car has been being built I went from NA to Weistec 2.3L stage 1, then stage 1 plus with heads, then I was the test/development mule for their stage 3 plus forged internals, 3.0L blower and trans upgrade and cooling mods. Ordered another Black Series, AMG built it and shipped it over, I enjoyed it for 4 months and now it too is running a Weistec Stage 3. I am now ordering a SLS BS which at this rate is going will be here and modded before Sticky gets his car gets back.

        We were having this very same discussion here a year ago before the Shift Sector event and he was "trying to make that event" as well, he said "it was gonna be close". I am going to go out on a limb and say my SLS BS hits shore before his M3 hits the track.
      1. ultimateendz's Avatar
        ultimateendz -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        In the time Sticky's car has been being built I went from NA to Weistec 2.3L stage 1, then stage 1 plus with heads, then I was the test/development mule for their stage 3 plus forged internals, 3.0L blower and trans upgrade and cooling mods. Ordered another Black Series, AMG built it and shipped it over, I enjoyed it for 4 months and now it too is running a Weistec Stage 3. I am now ordering a SLS BS which at this rate is going will be here and modded before Sticky gets his car gets back.

        We were having this very same discussion here a year ago before the Shift Sector event and he was "trying to make that event" as well, he said "it was gonna be close". I am going to go out on a limb and say my SLS BS hits shore before his M3 hits the track.

        I was also able to mod my e93, run it, wound up crashing it, sat for a solid year trying to figure out what I was going to get, then decided on the cts-v, bought it, enjoyed it stock for a few months, had it down installed all the stuff with the whipple, had EVERYTHING break on me and not all at once, fixed every issue, had it running and made it to the end of the season, decided to pull the motor, build it, and now the motor is just about done and im also betting my V will be up running and hitting the track before the M3 does as well....
      1. oddjob2021's Avatar
        oddjob2021 -
        ^those last two posts really put this into perspective. I wish Sticky would just be honest with what the hold up is at this point. I honestly would not be surprised if both members' claims are true. According to sticky, it was nearly done but he wanted to add something else right? And now that is what's taking so long?
      1. ultimateendz's Avatar
        ultimateendz -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
        ^those last two posts really put this into perspective. I wish Sticky would just be honest with what the hold up is at this point. I honestly would not be surprised if both members' claims are true. According to sticky, it was nearly done but he wanted to add something else right? And now that is what's taking so long?

        never understood what all the secrecy was about....this should be a build for everyone to see just like wisetec did since its a first of its kind
      1. bigdnno98's Avatar
        bigdnno98 -
        LMFAO! Tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me haha

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
        Is the S65 the new twojayz?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
        my thoughts exactly...I mean...it didnt even take UGR this long to get their first TT gallardo together....or AMS to get into their alpha 10+ cars....i really dont buy that the S65 is really that much more complicated FWIW
        Honestly, if all you have to say is "OMG so long" go talk somewhere else.

        If you want to talk about building a DCT and an S65, do it here.

        You guys have no clue.