Close

    • DCT Build Part VIII - Putting it back together

      As of right now, the transmission is completed and the cooling system is in the process of being completed. Where we left off was the car being taken to SSP for the build of the cooling system. To make this all make sense we will not skip ahead, instead showing you each step. Here SSP is getting ready to put it together with the new clutch discs. They laid out all the parts and used 3d scanning equipment to record them to aid in the production of the parts. Everything was laid out to make sure the parts were clean and accounted for. Additionally, they were working on prototype viton seals for the transmission. The next update will have details on the cooling system.























      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 3052 Comments
      1. Steve@SSP's Avatar
        Steve@SSP -
        BY THE WAY!

        This tranny is using our DCT Clutch Discs Upgrade! (which you can find a thread on in the SSP section)

        and im hearing something special is being done to the cooling system... what could that be?

        Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Steve@SSP Click here to enlarge
        BY THE WAY!

        This tranny is using our DCT Clutch Discs Upgrade! (which you can find a thread on in the SSP section)

        and im hearing something special is being done to the cooling system... what could that be?
        Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
        Well I will say this, you are keeping things interesting and holding the suspense. Looks like were just gonna have to wait for the big news. I know you and Gintani won't disappoint. You're car is still being done by Gintani, right?
        Yep, being done by Gintani. What works out in my favor is I am located close to them (just 15 minutes down the 101) so once the car is back I'll be able to take pics for everyone and check in on the progress to better update.

        Unfortunately I'm not close to SSP lol.

        It is going to be a very different build but a difficult one. If this is pulled off, I think everyone is going to shut up real quickly.
      1. akh23456's Avatar
        akh23456 -
        is your motor being built right now or after your dct build is done?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by akh23456 Click here to enlarge
        is your motor being built right now or after your dct build is done?
        Motor has already been built.
      1. V12Godspeed's Avatar
        V12Godspeed -
        Very nice build! Man you are just like me. Patience is key and at the end you will be victorious. Ignore the negativity and keep plucking away. Best of luck and can't wait to see this finished.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V12Godspeed Click here to enlarge
        Very nice build! Man you are just like me. Patience is key and at the end you will be victorious. Ignore the negativity and keep plucking away. Best of luck and can't wait to see this finished.
        Appreciate it, thank you.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Motor has already been built.
        then whats the freakin hold-up where do we sit currently..

        (yes, I said "WE" and you know why that is...)
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        then whats the freakin hold-up where do we sit currently..

        (yes, I said "WE" and you know why that is...)
        Didn't you read this post? http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...423#post115423

        Just waiting on SSP to wrap their end up and the car will get back here for the motor install, + something cool, + tuning, and hopefully it all goes well.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Didn't you read this post? http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...423#post115423

        Just waiting on SSP to wrap their end up and the car will get back here for the motor install, + something cool, + tuning, and hopefully it all goes well.
        well i did now..

        good to see progress being made on my car.. so are we thinking about 2 more months?..
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
        good to see progress being made on my car.. so are we thinking about 2 more months?..
        Yes, they said it would be done by the time Bimmerfest rolls around.

        I think that timeframe will work. I just don't know if the tuning will get done that fast but we will see. The last part is going to be the toughest.

        Regardless I always have the option of going with the blower they will use on tightie's car which is working well.
      1. GG///M3's Avatar
        GG///M3 -
        when is bimmerfest?
      1. inter1032's Avatar
        inter1032 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
        when is bimmerfest?
        may 14 i think
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inter1032 Click here to enlarge
        may 14 i think
        I believe that is right, it's in May.
      1. Yukohama's Avatar
        Yukohama -
        id go just to see your car sticky haha
      1. ersin's Avatar
        ersin -
        I'd love it if you could make Bimmerfest East -- 6 August in Baltimore.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
        I'd love it if you could make Bimmerfest East -- 6 August in Baltimore.
        I think I'm going to be in Europe in August.
      1. LostMarine's Avatar
        LostMarine -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
        I'd love it if you could make Bimmerfest East -- 6 August in Baltimore.
        yes, me too, so i can drive my car for once..
      1. DarkPhantom's Avatar
        DarkPhantom -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I think I'm going to be in Europe in August.
        Going to shut up everyone at that runway from m5/m6board? Click here to enlarge

        Read through the updates, definitely looking forward to the updates! Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
        Going to shut up everyone at that runway from m5/m6board?
        Yes:

        From: "Gustav Träff" <gustav@gtboard.com>
        To: "Administrator BimmerBoost" <administrator@bimmerboost.com>
        Subject:
        Date: Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:45 AM


        Drop me a email if you are in Noethern Europe.

        Gustav