• DCT Build Part VIII - Putting it back together

      As of right now, the transmission is completed and the cooling system is in the process of being completed. Where we left off was the car being taken to SSP for the build of the cooling system. To make this all make sense we will not skip ahead, instead showing you each step. Here SSP is getting ready to put it together with the new clutch discs. They laid out all the parts and used 3d scanning equipment to record them to aid in the production of the parts. Everything was laid out to make sure the parts were clean and accounted for. Additionally, they were working on prototype viton seals for the transmission. The next update will have details on the cooling system.























      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 3052 Comments
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMWJunkie Click here to enlarge
        http://www.esstuning.com/products/E9...-Software.html

        They told me there was no market for the 335is dct trans though, even though its the same...hmmm.

        Really wish someone could program my launch control to 3,000 rpm.
        The ESS DCT "Upgrade" has been proven to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING VALUABLE. All it does is increase the line pressure, does nothing to alter shift speed or smoothness. That's why nobody with a DCT wastes their money on it.
      1. BMWJunkie's Avatar
        BMWJunkie -
        Good to know. I contacted them because of launch control only. Since they offered software I assumed they must of cracked the dct control unit and should not be that difficult to modify parameters of the launch control.

        Someone will do it, its just a matter of time. Half way tempted to code my dct as a 135 and see if it will launch at 3k lol.
      1. crazylegs's Avatar
        crazylegs -
        maybe loading the m5 software onto the m3 dct? like we did with alpina tcu flash?

        EDIT: just say benzy's post
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMWJunkie Click here to enlarge
        Good to know. I contacted them because of launch control only. Since they offered software I assumed they must of cracked the dct control unit and should not be that difficult to modify parameters of the launch control.

        Someone will do it, its just a matter of time. Half way tempted to code my dct as a 135 and see if it will launch at 3k lol.
        I know that DSLJ5 had started a thread over on M3Post about ESS coding the line-lock & advanced launch control into their DCT flash, but it never materialized into anything. Supposedly the M3's DCT is supposed to have adjustable LC RPMs control, it's somewhere in the owner's manual
      1. akh23456's Avatar
        akh23456 -
        i still remember when they claimed you couldn't do a burnout without DCT Software what a joke lol.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
        They both use the same clutch pack. P/N: 28407842841

        Just goes to show these can handle quite a bit.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
        I imagine the difference being the transmission appears to be the same, and the clutch packs.. is how the pressure is applied. Just as mentioned earlier you can program the transmission to apply more pressure to the pressure plates. I believe this is the same dct tranny as in the 135i/is and the 335i. Each most likely programmed differently.
        Pressure, yep. All about pressure.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        So it's all in the programming Click here to enlarge Someone with access to an E9x M3 DCT + F10 M5/F12 M6 with the DCT should cross reference the DCT files and look for differences in programming. Would be a simple mod to just retrofit the M5/M6 DCT programming to an E9x M3 and get an additional 200 Ft Lb of TQ with some simple software changes.
        Just to be clear my trans has physical issues due to SSP's work. Their hardware doesn't work.
      1. MisterEm's Avatar
        MisterEm -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Just to be clear my trans has physical issues due to SSP's work. Their hardware doesn't work.
        But it is "tried and trued" - just check their website. Click here to enlarge

        http://www.sspperformance.com/produc...-disc-package/
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
        But it is "tried and trued" - just check their website. Click here to enlarge

        http://www.sspperformance.com/produc...-disc-package/
        Works about as well as their customer service.
      1. Linracing's Avatar
        Linracing -
        Wow now they are claiming they are "SOLD OUT" Yeah right more like they aren't going to sell them anymore.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by keikdasneak Click here to enlarge
        Wow now they are claiming they are "SOLD OUT" Yeah right more like they aren't going to sell them anymore.
        Where did you hear this?
      1. Linracing's Avatar
        Linracing -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Where did you hear this?
        There website has "SOLD OUT"
      1. Linracing's Avatar
        Linracing -
        For both there sets 600WHP and 700WHP...
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
        But it is "tried and trued" - just check their website. Click here to enlarge
        HAHAHA the 1 "Review" is someone asking if it'll work on their 335 DCT
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by keikdasneak Click here to enlarge
        There website has "SOLD OUT"
        Well that says plenty eh?
      1. Linracing's Avatar
        Linracing -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Well that says plenty eh?
        They must be feeling the heat.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by keikdasneak Click here to enlarge
        They must be feeling the heat.
        They haven't even begun to feel anything.
      1. funkmobster's Avatar
        funkmobster -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSPKris Click here to enlarge
        Joseph, Joseph oh where do I start….
        From day one you have not paid 1 penny for anything on this transmission build. We have paid for everything, including all the transportation of your vehicle. I just wanted to get that out there, because you seem to always talk like you have spent so much money on transmission build.
        The real reason your car has spent so much time over at Gintani, is that you NEVER PAID your motor build on time.
        After that being said, your car was delivered back to you 1 ˝ years ago. Until a week or so ago, you find it convenient to let me know that you may be having an issue with the transmission. My question, why always wait until the last minute?
        I like the part where you say you try to call, but cannot get a hold of us. Really Joseph, I answer my phone and emails 7 days a week.
        I have chosen to “bow out” of this project because of all of your lies. Not only your lies to me, but to Alex as well. I would have been more than willing to help you out with this project at any time. I am sure you will probably delete this post.
        SSP
        Click here to enlarge Good to hear your side of the story too finally...
      1. richpike's Avatar
        richpike -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSPKris Click here to enlarge
        Joseph, Joseph oh where do I start….
        From day one you have not paid 1 penny for anything on this transmission build. We have paid for everything, including all the transportation of your vehicle. I just wanted to get that out there, because you seem to always talk like you have spent so much money on transmission build.
        The real reason your car has spent so much time over at Gintani, is that you NEVER PAID your motor build on time.
        After that being said, your car was delivered back to you 1 ˝ years ago. Until a week or so ago, you find it convenient to let me know that you may be having an issue with the transmission. My question, why always wait until the last minute?
        I like the part where you say you try to call, but cannot get a hold of us. Really Joseph, I answer my phone and emails 7 days a week.
        I have chosen to “bow out” of this project because of all of your lies. Not only your lies to me, but to Alex as well. I would have been more than willing to help you out with this project at any time. I am sure you will probably delete this post.
        SSP
        Click here to enlarge

        -Rich