Close

    • DCT Build Part VIII - Putting it back together

      As of right now, the transmission is completed and the cooling system is in the process of being completed. Where we left off was the car being taken to SSP for the build of the cooling system. To make this all make sense we will not skip ahead, instead showing you each step. Here SSP is getting ready to put it together with the new clutch discs. They laid out all the parts and used 3d scanning equipment to record them to aid in the production of the parts. Everything was laid out to make sure the parts were clean and accounted for. Additionally, they were working on prototype viton seals for the transmission. The next update will have details on the cooling system.
























      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 3052 Comments
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        Wouldn't this create issues with the rings when it crosses from the stock cylinder walls onto the spacer? Or would the gap between the top of the piston and the rings not require the rings to cross this threshold?
        Elongated sleeves will compensate for the "spacer", so the pistons + rings will never travel across a disruption
      1. DFM's Avatar
        DFM -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, you keep hiding behind the DCT excuse, GT-R's have a more complext DCT than your car and people have been building GT-R for years. Audi R8's have a DCT and tuners have been building some sick R8s for years. $#@!ing NASA put a man on the moon in less time than this build took....and a DCT is not rocket sciene.
        As of the 2013 model they do...
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        sorry sticky, but this was funny.
        Laugh at whatever you want to man.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        Elongated sleeves will compensate for the "spacer", so the pistons + rings will never travel across a disruption
        Smart man.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
        As of the 2013 model they do...
        Thank you, they just got it and these haven't even hit showrooms.
      1. DavidV's Avatar
        DavidV -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It's fine man, the feeling is mutual. It's a long list of people, trust me.
        Ok, I'm back to feeling for you for the missing of your car..
        I can see raising the deck highth of the block having all sort of delaying implications.
        I'll be try to be more patient...again.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
        Ok, I'm back to feeling for you for the missing of your car..
        I can see raising the deck highth of the block having all sort of delaying implications.
        I'll be try to be more patient...again.
        I haven't said what was done really. I'll go into it all eventually, I promise. I'm not the kind of guy not to.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
        As of the 2013 model they do...
        But I thought you mentioned that it wouldn't be necessary to 'sleeve' the block? So I had assumed this would be done without any sleeving work.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        But I thought you mentioned that it wouldn't be necessary to 'sleeve' the block? So I had assumed this would be done without any sleeving work.
        I'm gonna assume you meant to quote me since I previously quoted you about the sleeves being elongated to pass through the spacer. All Gintani Stage 3 builds get sleeved blocks. The problem is that when you strap a Vortech YSI blower on, the S65 alusil block has flex issues. The iron spacer is there to give the block additional rigidity (and in turn, fight off the block flex).
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        I'm gonna assume you meant to quote me since I previously quoted you about the sleeves being elongated to pass through the spacer. All Gintani Stage 3 builds get sleeved blocks. The problem is that when you strap a Vortech YSI blower on, the S65 alusil block has flex issues. The iron spacer is there to give the block additional rigidity (and in turn, fight off the block flex).
        No I meant to quote sticky as it was his comment I was referencing. But I recalled wrong, he said he wasn't going to do flanged sleeves. Thats where my confusion came from as I thought he said no sleeves period.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Sticky claims he is running the Sunday Shift Sector event in 4 weeks.....Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        I intend to be there, we'll see.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I intend to be there, we'll see.
        Tuning alone will eat up a good portion of these 4 weeks with unpaved territory, no?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        Tuning alone will eat up a good portion of these 4 weeks with unpaved territory, no?
        No.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No.
        Mkay. Have they made the sleeves/rods yet?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        Mkay. Have they made the sleeves/rods yet?
        Yes.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Good news, car should be started this week. There's going to be hell to pay.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Good news, car should be started this week. There's going to be hell to pay.
        Well that explains a little bit! Hope to have a start up video? Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
        Well that explains a little bit! Hope to have a start up video? Click here to enlarge
        I'll get you one as soon as they start it.
      1. klipseracer's Avatar
        klipseracer -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I'll get you one as soon as they start it.
        Awesome. Hopefully they took some pics of the new long rod setup?