• DCT Build Part VIII - Putting it back together

      As of right now, the transmission is completed and the cooling system is in the process of being completed. Where we left off was the car being taken to SSP for the build of the cooling system. To make this all make sense we will not skip ahead, instead showing you each step. Here SSP is getting ready to put it together with the new clutch discs. They laid out all the parts and used 3d scanning equipment to record them to aid in the production of the parts. Everything was laid out to make sure the parts were clean and accounted for. Additionally, they were working on prototype viton seals for the transmission. The next update will have details on the cooling system.























      This article was originally published in forum thread: M3 DCT Build Journal - World's First BMW DCT Build started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 3052 Comments
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
        Even weistec got their sc out after everyone was saying it was impossible....and they even improved on it since
        Different platform, not applicable or relevant.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        In the time Sticky's car has been being built I went from NA to Weistec 2.3L stage 1, then stage 1 plus with heads, then I was the test/development mule for their stage 3 plus forged internals, 3.0L blower and trans upgrade and cooling mods. Ordered another Black Series, AMG built it and shipped it over, I enjoyed it for 4 months and now it too is running a Weistec Stage 3. I am now ordering a SLS BS which at this rate is going will be here and modded before Sticky gets his car gets back.

        We were having this very same discussion here a year ago before the Shift Sector event and he was "trying to make that event" as well, he said "it was gonna be close". I am going to go out on a limb and say my SLS BS hits shore before his M3 hits the track.
        How about you be positive?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
        ^those last two posts really put this into perspective. I wish Sticky would just be honest with what the hold up is at this point. I honestly would not be surprised if both members' claims are true. According to sticky, it was nearly done but he wanted to add something else right? And now that is what's taking so long?
        Completely honest, I wish you would stop asking stupid questions and wish people would do something more constructive than remind me of a timetable I am more than aware of.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
        ^those last two posts really put this into perspective. I wish Sticky would just be honest with what the hold up is at this point. I honestly would not be surprised if both members' claims are true. According to sticky, it was nearly done but he wanted to add something else right? And now that is what's taking so long?
        It's called denial from Sticky's point of view and it's call out of sight out of mind from Gintani's point of veiw. Gintani just keeps turning out projects for other people....including a build for a new F30 M5 which was likely nothing more than a $#@!ing blueprint sitting on some computer screen in the R & D department at BMW when Sticky started his build.

        What I really want to know is how much money did Sticky pay for this build? Believe me, we have all done builds that do not go as planned, lord knows I have lost my patience with a couple tuners over the years but in the end they pull it together and deliver.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
        never understood what all the secrecy was about....this should be a build for everyone to see just like wisetec did since its a first of its kind
        Good point, few details posted in this thread. No pics, no info, nothing.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        It's called denial from Sticky's point of view and it's call out of sight out of mind from Gintani's point of veiw.
        No it's called you armchair quarterbacking my build.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        What I really want to know is how much money did Sticky pay for this build?
        The cost isn't end of the world or anything.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Completely honest, I wish you would stop asking stupid questions and wish people would do something more constructive than remind me of a timetable I am more than aware of.
        Bro, we feel for you man, sure there is a little ball busting going on but i sincerly feel bad for you becuase I know how much you want this and how badly you want to go out and run your car. Maybe you are too nice, maybe you need to grow a spine and walk in their and quit playing games and demand some REAL answers and a REAL $#@!ing complition date.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        It's really unfortunate this build is taking so long cause it would really help move the E9x M3 forward (specifically the upgraded DCT & larger blower), but it's not gonna matter anymore if by the time Sticky gets his car back that the N54s are putting down better performance with the VTT Stage 3s or (hopefully) a problem free Single Turbo.

        Not looking to take digs at anyone, but this thread is going to be 3 years old in a little over a month. I don't know who's holding up the project, but I really hope it's worth it & that no more problems come up once the car starts running.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Bro, we feel for you man, sure there is a little ball busting going on but i sincerly feel bad for you becuase I know how much you want this and how badly you want to go out and run your car. Maybe you are too nice, maybe you need to grow a spine and walk in their and quit playing games and demand some REAL answers and a REAL $#@!ing complition date.
        I honestly was just there yesterday... everything will make sense I promise.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        but it's not gonna matter anymore if by the time Sticky gets his car back that the N54s are putting down better performance with the VTT Stage 3s or (hopefully) a problem free Single Turbo.
        Not gonnna happen. Look at what the S85 kit from Gintani put down on a dynojet. Now wait until you see what mine does.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        Not looking to take digs at anyone, but this thread is going to be 3 years old in a little over a month. I don't know who's holding up the project, but I really hope it's worth it & that no more problems come up once the car starts running.
        Everything is figured out, it's just final stages now.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        No it's called you armchair quarterbacking my build.



        The cost isn't end of the world or anything.
        Armchair quarterbacking???? Sticky, it's been over three years now, people are gonna ask questions and those of us with even an ounce of brains can put 2 and 2 together and read the writing on the wall. Last year your excuse was DCT this and DCT that, well the trans and clutch part of the build has been complete for well over a year, that excuse does not hold water anymore, what is Gintani's excuse for the past 14 months they have had the car all to themselves? This isn't my first rodeo, I have been having cars modded and built for 25 years and NEVER have I hear of a 3 plus year build with the exception of guys doing it on a budget that can only afford to do bits and pieces at a time and I know for a fact that is not the case with your build.
      1. benzy89's Avatar
        benzy89 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Not gonnna happen. Look at what the S85 kit from Gintani put down on a dynojet. Now wait until you see what mine does.
        I've been waiting to see what this is capable since I joined this forum over the summer, so hopefully we find out soon. IMO, if this isn't completed by the time the F3x M3/M4 is released/start taking orders, the project was a failure. I understand that the E9x M3 will still be a huge platform & usually most cars see their aftermarket developments after production ends (lower initial investment with purchasing the car), but at that point you're closer to 4 years for this project.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Everything is figured out, it's just final stages now.
        Like I said, I really hope so -- Think it was 1 of my 1st few posts in this thread, cannot wait to see something blow up ESS' VT3, and it'd only be so much sweeter if it came from Gintani after all the $#@! they've had to deal with over on M3Post
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Armchair quarterbacking???? Sticky, it's been over three years now, people are gonna ask questions and those of us with even an ounce of brains can put 2 and 2 together and read the writing on the wall. Last year your excuse was DCT this and DCT that, well the trans and clutch part of the build has been complete for well over a year, that excuse does not hold water anymore, what is Gintani's excuse for the past 14 months they have had the car all to themselves? This isn't my first rodeo, I have been having cars modded and built for 25 years and NEVER have I hear of a 3 plus year build with the exception of guys doing it on a budget that can only afford to do bits and pieces at a time and I know for a fact that is not the case with your build.
        I know how long it's been. All I have to say is just wait and let me enjoy my car.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        IMO, if this isn't completed by the time the F3x M3/M4 is released/start taking orders, the project was a failure.
        You're entitled to your opinion but the S54 took quite a while to get turbocharging down and there have been advancements on the S50/M50 since the E46 debuted. So, this is kind of an absurd statement and I completely disagree.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
        Like I said, I really hope so -- Think it was 1 of my 1st few posts in this thread, cannot wait to see something blow up ESS' VT3, and it'd only be so much sweeter if it came from Gintani after all the $#@! they've had to deal with over on M3Post
        Nobody has taken the M3 to this level. NOBODY. Appreciate.
      1. ultimateendz's Avatar
        ultimateendz -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Different platform, not applicable or relevant.
        how is that not applicable?

        Weistec built a supercharger for an NA car, built a better tranny, and built better internals for the benz....please tell me where this is not applicable....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
        how is that not applicable?

        Weistec built a supercharger for an NA car, built a better tranny, and built better internals for the benz....please tell me where this is not applicable....
        Because it's a completely different platform. All naturally aspirated cars are not created equal and it isn't the same tranny so please take discussion for that platform into the appropriate section.

        You're in the S65 section, thanks.
      1. JRCART's Avatar
        JRCART -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Because it's a completely different platform. All naturally aspirated cars are not created equal and it isn't the same tranny so please take discussion for that platform into the appropriate section.

        You're in the S65 section, thanks.
        Sticky, you keep hiding behind the DCT excuse, GT-R's have a more complext DCT than your car and people have been building GT-R for years. Audi R8's have a DCT and tuners have been building some sick R8s for years. $#@!ing NASA put a man on the moon in less time than this build took....and a DCT is not rocket sciene.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, you keep hiding behind the DCT excuse, GT-R's have a more complext DCT than your car and people have been building GT-R for years. Audi R8's have a DCT and tuners have been building some sick R8s for years. $#@!ing NASA put a man on the moon in less time than this build took....and a DCT is not rocket sciene.
        It's no excuse, it's a fact another company had the trans for an extended period of time and that it is different from the C63 trans. The C63/M156 is not applicable here.

        The GT-R has dozens of tuners working on it, also not applicable although at least closer. And it uses a different manufacturer as it has a deeper clutch basket.

        The DCT complicates things, that's all. The programming is also an issue.
      1. ultimateendz's Avatar
        ultimateendz -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JRCART Click here to enlarge
        Sticky, you keep hiding behind the DCT excuse, GT-R's have a more complext DCT than your car and people have been building GT-R for years. Audi R8's have a DCT and tuners have been building some sick R8s for years. $#@!ing NASA put a man on the moon in less time than this build took....and a DCT is not rocket sciene.

        im glad someone else other than myself can tell him this....
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
        im glad someone else other than myself can tell him this....
        Good for you man. Talk, type, but I'm doing it. So just sit back and watch, okie dokie?