This cuts out basically the majority of the world's best engines. Also, Wards does not have displacement or performance categories. It is just 10 engines they feel are the best with an emphasis on emissions.
Here are the winners in alphabetical order:
- 3.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW M240i)
- 1.5L DOHC 4-cyl./Dual Motor EREV (Chevrolet Volt)
- 3.6L DOHC V-6/Dual Motor PHEV (Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid)
- 2.3L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Ford Focus RS)
- 2.0L DOHC 4-cyl./Dual Motor HEV (Honda Accord Hybrid)
- 1.4L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Hyundai Elantra Eco)
- 3.0L Turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Infiniti Q50)
- 2.5L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Mazda CX-9)
- 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Mercedes-Benz C300)
- 2.0L Turbo/Supercharged DOHC 4-cyl. (Volvo V60 Polestar)
It's a four-cylinder lovefest with the exception of the BMW B58, Infiniti VR30DDTT, and the Chrysler Pentastar V6. Wards could put some more effort in and actually use the names for the motors that the manufacturers do.
This is the first time the list does not feature a V8 and if the Voodoo V8 isn't good enough to make this list it tells you what Wards is looking for. Wards puts a premium on efficiency, miles per gallon, and price. Wards can say whatever it wants to but the world's best engine designers are not building hybrid minivans.
Mercedes makes the list with their M274 turbo I4 for some reason. This engine is being replaced and is not even the best four-cylinder motor in the Mercedes lineup. That distinction belongs to the M133 which has three straight International Engine of the Year Awards in the 1.8-2.0 liter displacement category. There is far more skill involved in producing the world's most powerful production four-cylinder engine than in producing yet another turbo direct injected 2.0 liter.
The most powerful engine on the list is actually the Infiniti VR30DDTT which is underrated but Wards fails to mention this. It is definitely deserving of its spot as is the BMW B58 which is overachieving. Ford's Ecoboost also is the best four-cylinder motor on this list.
Beyond that, this is a lame list of weak motors unless gas mileage and hybrid commuter cars turn you on.