• BMW Z2 is coming with turbo 1.6 liter 4 cylinder power

      Carmagazine is reporting that a Z2 Roadster with a soft top is confirmed for 2012. The downscaling of the BMW brand continues to sell as many cars to as many people as possible. The motor will be a new 1.6 liter turbo with around 200 horsepower. This likely will be a fun car to drive with a targeted 2200 pound curb weight and the rendering is interesting. They are also considering an electric version. Will get an M version of this as well? If we do, just expect it to be the same thing with more boost. More details as they come.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: BMW Z2 is coming with turbo 1.6 liter 4 cylinder power started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 22 Comments
      1. DarkPhantom's Avatar
        DarkPhantom -
        2500?? that would still be amazing.....just need a quick tune...and there we have it. Click here to enlarge
      1. SSDD's Avatar
        SSDD -
        BMW Miata? Not my cup of tea
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        I like this idea a lot, the only thing remotely close to BMW pedigree. Looks good in my book.

        Like others have said, throw a JB3 in it with exhaust and you can have a track ready little roadster.
      1. fundahl's Avatar
        fundahl -
        They need to do this, but with a straight 6.
      1. Doug007's Avatar
        Doug007 -
        Even Miatas are about 2500lbs. 2200 lbs would require some serious aluminum/cf.

        This would be very fun on a track with a tuned 1.6.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doug007 Click here to enlarge
        Even Miatas are about 2500lbs. 2200 lbs would require some serious aluminum/cf.

        This would be very fun on a track with a tuned 1.6.
        They are saying they will use various exotic materials but when push comes to shove and the bean counters get in the way it won't happen.
      1. DBFIU's Avatar
        DBFIU -
        I dont care what they do, make it RWD.
      1. Sorena's Avatar
        Sorena -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
        I dont care what they do, make it RWD.
        i'm with you on that
      1. ersin's Avatar
        ersin -
        Agree about the weight -- 2200 lbs would be a miracle. And make the M2 an I6 please.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
        Agree about the weight -- 2200 lbs would be a miracle. And make the M2 an I6 please.
        Make a it a V8 if we are dreaming.

        I wouldn't mind seeing a tweaked 4 cylinder turbo in it, something modified to be worthy of M branding though.
      1. ersin's Avatar
        ersin -
        I disagree. I think it would be hard to maintain the "balance" (for lack of a better word) of the car with a V8 in it. Think of the old Shelby Cobra. Lots of power but unusable. Plus, if there's one thing BMW does right, it's arguably an inline 6. I really prefer the S65 in my M3 now, but the S54 in the E46 M3 was a thing of beauty. I can't help but think of how the E46 M3 might have been with a loss of a few hundred pounds. If they could have that kind of engine in a 2200 lb (ahem) M2 then, well, I think it would be the start of another really great M car; something that will be remembered as one of the best.

        Now put the S65 V8 in the Z4M and we're talking epic too. But that would make too much sense for BMW M nowadays. I pray they'll find a way to make these NA motors conform to the new emissions standards. Alas, with all the emphasis on forced induction, I fear we won't see anymore high-revving, NA engines from BMW for a while.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
        I disagree. I think it would be hard to maintain the "balance" (for lack of a better word) of the car with a V8 in it
        Why? S65 weighs 30 pounds more than the N54 and ~32 pounds less than the S54.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
        Now put the S65 V8 in the Z4M and we're talking epic too.
        AMEN, I can't believe this hasn't been done yet.
      1. BigM62's Avatar
        BigM62 -
        I would give my nut for a Shelby Cobra.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
        I would give my nut for a Shelby Cobra.
        Original eh? Plenty of replicas available.
      1. BigM62's Avatar
        BigM62 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Original eh? Plenty of replicas available.
        I drove my Uncles 1968 Shelby GT500 in high school.he let me have it for Fri and Sat nights. Yeepy yai eh MFs!!!Click here to enlarge
      1. ersin's Avatar
        ersin -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Why? S65 weighs 30 pounds more than the N54 and ~32 pounds less than the S54.
        I meant power-wise. That's why I put the "balance" in quotes. I'm talking about the overall balance of the car. Can a car that weighs so little put down all that power? I would look at a Z2 as a really fun car to drive on the road. Tracking, of course, would be different. But on the streets, I'm wondering if so much power would really be that much fun or if it would leave your hands full, like a real race car would.

        Then again, on this forum, I ought to be that surprised that you didn't say turbo'ed V10. Click here to enlarge
      1. ersin's Avatar
        ersin -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
        I drove my Uncles 1968 Shelby GT500 in high school.he let me have it for Fri and Sat nights. Yeepy yai eh MFs!!!Click here to enlarge
        That's certainly one niche where you'd be hard pressed to beat a Cobra: Fri and Sat night cruising.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
        Can a car that weighs so little put down all that power? I would look at a Z2 as a really fun car to drive on the road. Tracking, of course, would be different. But on the streets, I'm wondering if so much power would really be that much fun or if it would leave your hands full, like a real race car would.
        Well, that is what is nice about the low torque motor with very linear power. I would argue with the S65 it would be easier to control than with an N54.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ersin Click here to enlarge
        Then again, on this forum, I ought to be that surprised that you didn't say turbo'ed V10.
        Twin turbo stroked V10 Click here to enlarge
      1. ersin's Avatar
        ersin -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Well, that is what is nice about the low torque motor with very linear power. I would argue with the S65 it would be easier to control than with an N54.



        Twin turbo stroked V10 Click here to enlarge
        Now you got me thinking. That smooth, high-revvin' 400 hp V8 in a 2200 lb two seater would be sweet. Just keep it normally aspirated and put a really nice exhaust system on it. I bet the sounds you'd hear with the top down with be worth gold.

        But I wouldn't discount putting the ole S54 with it's raspy snarl in it either. I think either engine would make for one really memorable BMW. Too bad it aint gonna happen.

        Maybe a quad-turbo, stroked, nitrous-injected W-16 with active aerodynamics on the car would hit the spot. Click here to enlarge No?